Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HWFMR report: A tale of scruts, the thunder turtle, and good guys triumphant + PIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Default HWFMR report: A tale of scruts, the thunder turtle, and good guys triumphant + PIX

Just back from the Putnam Park, and a weekend of drama, trauma, laughter and lots of new recruits to the team.

Most of us showed up for Friday's test and tune/DE sessions.

They big news for the weekend was our First Mate, Danny, and Robert H journeying all the way up from Houston - an 1100 mile two-day tow - to make it into the pond. They were sharing Danny's beautiful blue coupe. Danny was running with the Big Boys like Eric, Bill and Greg in Group 2, while Robert was running exhibition with Jeff, Doug and myself in Group 1.

Robert was quick right out of the trailer in a new car on a new track. Danny was getting quicker with each outing. They were running number 360 on Danny's car. However, at some point in the weekend a prankster added a smaller "o", as in degrees, just to the upper right of the number. Made it perfect for HWFM. Unfortunately they had forgotten the yellow tape they wanted to put a diagonal stripe on Danny's blue car. (Think about it.)

Yours truly had the unique experience of passing a 962 in my waterpumper on the main straight. Of course that car was just warming up, and of course this never happened again. In fact objects in your mirror aren't smaller, they grow really big, really fast, when it's a 962. But they sure sound and look cool as they dive pass you in the brake zone and motor thru the turn like they are being sucked to the ground. Oh wait, they actually are.

More HWFM moments:

First session out on Friday, Jeff coasted to a stop at the end of the front straight with a dead engine. What followed was another day of working on his "Hey, Fix Me" Euro Carrera. Ended up having to take out his electronic ignition. The problem being the coil. He did get back on track for the Fun Race on Saturday, although he had to start at the back. It must have looked like a video game from his seat as he passed cars left and right. We came out of 10, I thought I could keep him behind me. He just pulled inside and cruised past. That car is fast, when it runs. "Hey Fix Me" struck again when Jeff found a broken sway bar mount on Sunday morning. Which may be why his inside front wheel was lifting three inches off the pavement under hard cornering. As a result, he ran soft in Sunday's two races. And that may be why he managed to go off-roading late Saturday. Jeff is become quite an expert on the flora and fauna of Putnam Park. (Although I must admit, I managed towiden the arc of turn 2 considerably once during qualifying)

Our Team Instructor had a very unfortunate experience. During Saturday's Fun Race, he had contact. A much faster GT-3 car put his nose in on Eric as he was turning in for a corner. Eric was on line, but came out of the turn with a bashed in door and rocker panel, fender damage and a huge NASCAR donut from the GT-3's front wheel. At this point the rules get vague and seemingly contradictory. The Steward gave him a 13 the next morning, and E was done for the weekend. We were all surprized and bummed at the decision. Hopefully the review process will find in Eric's favor.

For a time on Saturday, the water-pumper was being called the Thunder Turtle. The exhaust got noticibly louder late Friday, but my lap times got noticibly better turning a couple of 1:23s. Perhaps it was the new free-flow system. Then Sat morning it really started booming and backfiring, and I went off in search of a welder. One pipe had broken completely just behind the header, and was cracked elsewhere. The culprit was a broken hanger that probably stressed the pipe as a result.

Many of us were wowed by one of our of the other racers Friday evening. He invited us over to his paddock spot, which happened to be a Prevost Motorhome with every conceivable luxury, and a bottomless cooler full of beer and Crown Royal. He's a former tight end with the Pats and Cowpokes who now races a new 996 GT-2. He had been smoked by Bill E and his 993 at Road America, and wanted to get to know Bill better. He extended his hospitality to everyone in the Turtle Pond. Now that is the way to go racin'. (To get to more distant tracks, he tacks his Citation, and meets the motorhome and car.)

We had a number of new members join us this weekend, including Jeremy G who races a 964 in C, his crew chief, Mike, Bob D who DEs a Carrera, Peter H, who Rennlist knows as Zuffenhausen, who DEs a 993, and Jim Fiss who races a 924S, and is buddies with our Team Legal Counsel, Dan. Jim says he is perfect for the team because he is a moving pylon out there, but I did note that he also was gettting quicker with each session. Also joining the team is Carson the track's Announcer and his lady friend, Meredith. Carson gave the Turtles plenty of airtime on Sunday.

Sunday's racing saw plenty of action. The most exciting dicing was among three of our teammates in C. Bill E, Greg and Jeremy were all over each other. Bill had the lead for a bit. Unfortunately Bill E went back to the motorhome for an extended visit the night before, and his reactions were a bit off. He managed to spin, and while he closed back up, he couldn/t catch Jeremy and Greg who took the class win. Congrats to Greg. And if a 1-2-3 finish seems against team policy, I believe the circumstances make it acceptable.

In the Group 1 race, Robert finished close to the top, but no trophy as he was in exhibition. Borbert did win Rookie of the Weekend honors and a $1000 gift certificate for Forgeline wheels. He and Danny then teamed up to win their class in the enduro. Congratulations to both, and hopefully that made the 2200 miles worth the trip.

Jeff charged from the back again in the sprint race and finished a very strong 4th. If he could have qualified, and not had to deal with working through us back markers, he would have been 2nd or 3rd. In the Enduro Jeff had a great race, and took second, only to be called to impound and be told by the Scruts that he had DQ'd because he was six pounds underweight. That's one gallon of fuel. This is the second time this season one of us hasd lost a podium for under 10 pounds. Is that HWFM or what?

Doug took fifth in class with a stong race. He continues to stay just ahead of the Team Owner. I told him with great glee I had done a 23. So he went out and did a 22. Doh!
But way to go Doug.

I'll let individuals elaborate on all the happenings, and hopefully some had pictures.

What a weekend.

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 09-23-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:20 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

Great report. Terrific writeup. But... do I misunderstand the incident with Eric? Doesn't the overtaking car bear the responsibility of making a safe pass? That's pretty fundamental race-rules 101. I think our Team counsel should express the power of the turtle to these guys.

I've had a few events with 935s in the field, and know what a high-speed pass feels like. But I've also been out with 917s on occasion: they can move you over a whole car width as they go by.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,
Did you know that it is much cheaper to pay someone to take Wild Bill out for a night of drinking than to pay them to deflate one of his tires? Either one is just as effective though!

Our race class was very good since we had 4 cars all qualify within a 1/2 second or so. Jeremy and I had a good battle for the lead and I was finally able to get by and started to make some time. Bill was coming on strong after his spin but fortunately for me it was not a hour long race.

Congrats to Mike for setting a personal best. I did that as well but in true HWFM style I did it during a warmup session Sunday AM.

Eric's deal doesn't sound fair and hopefully they reverse their decision on that.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 09-22-2003 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Steve

"But... do I misunderstand the incident with Eric? Doesn't the overtaking car bear the responsibility of making a safe pass? That's pretty fundamental race-rules 101."

That's they way I learned it as well. That was said in the following day's driver's meeting. It was also said that the driver being passed "has to allow racing room". I think, but am not positive, that this is unique to PCA and the efforts to avoid contact. While I'm all for no damage, the whole issue seems conterdictory. We were also told that slower cars should drive their line.

Now, not only does Eric have a fair amount of body damage, he's on probationary status. Most ironic of all is that he is careful out there.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Greg

Then your money was well spent. It was a ball watching you guys battle. Thanks for putting on a good show. Unfortunately, Wild Bill is now Wiser William and you may have to pay the extra dollars for a tire deflation next time
Old 09-22-2003, 05:38 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Great write-up, and congrats to all who did so well! Any pictures or videos available yet?

Sorry to here about Eric's misfortune. From what you describe and what I understand from the rules, it's strange that he would be considered at fault. Here's to hoping that the powers-that-be forgive him.

I hope to make an event where more HWFM folks are present. I'm going to Hallett in a few weeks, so maybe I'll see some of the Texas folks there. I've got Sebring on my mind as well and hope I can find someone from this area taking a transporter down.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve,
Dont want to say too much before I file my appeal but the short story is: while qualifying a GT3 968 Turbo dove under me (inside) after I apexed. The turn is a fast (70mph) right hand turn. I dont know if he blew his brake point or thought he could squeeze inside of me, the result was my door pushed in and a little dent in the rear panel. Damage does not look bad , no creases'. The 13 ruling really got me as the other driver did not have any ownership of the corner (his wheel mark on my car is near the back edge of the door) When running with faster cars, it has been drilled into our heads, keep you line, let the other car get around you. Well, someone forgot to tell him... I think the steward was trying to set an example as the amount of carnage from Road America was fresh in everybodys mind. I think I have a pretty good appeal as I had witnesses, and evidence from the corner workers, other driver ect. that they chose not to review. That will be the basis of my appeal
Aside from that, it was a great time meeting Danny and Robert, seeing Greg ****** victory from Bill, watch Jeff take 2 trips to Indyto rebulid his electrical system, miss all the warm up break his sway bar and still drive his car like a mad man when it counted. Jeff has to be the bravest man in PCA racing. No brakes, no sway bar mounts, a elect. system that works sometimes in a 30 year old car that he throws around like much faster than a normal man should. We will miss that car next year (if you bring it back, I will have it towed out of town to put you out of your misery)
King Turtle mixed it up like he knows what he is doing, except when he let his rival pass him after mistaking him for another car!!! Dont let Mike fool us with this slow stuff, he was passing on the outside, out braking guys and having a great time with his car sounding like a Harley!!
Robert and Danny were tag teaming the field. A testement to the 993, those guys ran that car in back to back sessions all weekend (how many sets of tires did you guys go thru???) Their bulletproof 993 ran at race speed for 5 hours a day,back to back sessions (3 days) at race speed and was asking for more! Robert did not need the "search" function to find speed, he was quick right out of the box, besting my best time by .04 of a second his first time at this track! Danny got better and better while being hunted by wolves (962,935,996GT2 &700 hp GT1 cars ect,) As Mike mentioned, the social activites picked up more than usual as this is the last race of the season for many of us, had a few more beers, stayed out a little later but had a great time with our old and new friends!!
Congrats again to Danny and Robert on the their win in the Enduro,
Also a big "atta boy" to Greg Fishman for showing the Chicago Boys who Putnam Park really belongs to. Watching you and Jeremey dice was some of the best race action of the weekned! (If only you had Hoosiers for the spring race!!) A great way to end the racing season!!
Sebring is only 5 months away!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Honest, Eric, I totally forgot.

One of the biggest HWFM moments was my own:

If I'm being lapped, I believe in waving the fast guys right past. Well my other nemesis to Doug is a guy in a red 951 I'd been just behind all season. I saw him go off early in the race and figured he'd be too far back to catch me. Well there are a lot of red 44 Turbos cars out there. I let a couple of GT-5s go by and what I thought was a red E class car. Can't see numbers well in a mirror on those flat hoods. I wave the "E" car past as well. As he clears me, I see his number. "Oh sh*t, it's him" And that was on the last lap. I can make a water-pumper very wide for at least a lap. Doh!, again.

And thank you for your comment, Eric. I did have a couple of enjoyavble moments as well.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Eric. I had a lot of fun running with you guys, lots of good racing and good times. I have raced with Bill for the last couple years and we are usually fairly close (Bill being faster when he is on, which is most of the time). That is until I got the bright idea to run Michelin's for a few races. Putnam and Michelin's are a bit like oil and water for some reason and I was beginning to think it was me. Fortunately I bought a set of Hoosiers and it was a revelation. Knocked 2 seconds off my June qualifying time, amazing for such a short track, IMO. Guess what tires I am going to run the rest of the season and next?

I have seen PCA change their mind a time or two, it is definitely worth an appeal. This weekend I saw a paddock mate get disqualified for cheating and then when they checked another car's boost it was way off too and they apologized and re-instated him due to a possible faulty gauge.

Robert ran a great race and had an awesome weekend. He got up to speed quickly and was running great. Danny did well too considering the shark pond he was swimming in.

Jeff's persistency is amazing. It is incredible what one person will do for their hobby. I think (actually I know) I have seen him in his mechanic's coveralls more than I have in his driving suit. You would think he was driving a GT car the way he works on it.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike,

As usual, great write-up!

And congrats to all who did great too (or should I say so poorly?)!

Eric,

Sorry to hear of your incident & 13, I hope they'll "see the light".

I second Skip, anyone have any pics or videos?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:33 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, what started out to be the "same ol', same ol'" weekend really turned out to be a blast. After being towed off the track after about 10 laps I was ready to pack it in and go home. Thought it was just the Putnam curse. The turtle pond rallied and I decided to stay. with all those C cars, you knew some good racing was on the way. The 962 and 935 show didn't hurt.

I went from full electronic ignition to a points and condensor system within one day. Ever try to find points and condensor for a european car in Cloverdale, IL? Not possible. The first trip to Indy got me a condensor...I even thought to buy a second set of points "just in case". Well both sets that I had were "right-hand" meaning they openen the wrong way. Next trip to Indy Saturday morning got the correct parts. Back to the track for more engine work and not enough attention to race rules.

Zuffenhausen and Sol Snyderman both really helped out in getting the car running, better than ever. I finally made it to the track for the fun race and then qualifying. During the Fun race Mike commented about my right tire lifting...should have been a clue but I was so darn glad the car worked I didn't stop to think "why was the tire lifting". Car felt pretty loose all day so I wanted to make some adjustments before practice on Sunday. That's when I noticed the sway bar sheared from the mounts. Well all you can do is drive on. As far as what I will be driving next year, I don't really know. Eric's comments about the great sex the night before you break it off with her and the good hair day on your way to the barber will have to be kept in mind. The car ran and behaved wonderfully for the full 1 1/2 hours....can I really leave her now?

The sprint was a lot of fun running with Mike. Too bad we didn't have more HWFM's in the enduro. That was a blast of a race but just about 10 miles too long. We were short on people for refueling and pit support so I decided to fill the tank (actually 17 gallons and I had room for more) and go out and drive. I finished w/about 3 gallons and weighed in at 2344 lbs. My limit is 2350. First podium was gone.

As much fun as we made of Eric for his passing under checker/yellow, we had the exact thing happen in my group. Clean race for 1:20 until the double yellow came out to end the race. The guy right behind me jumps the pack to the checker before he figures out what he did. All I could do was laugh.

The C group was a blast to watch. There was an awful lot of action for a 30 minute race. Just not right that Eric couldn't have been in there with them. Some of the comments that the Scrut made duriing the drivers meeting almost made it seem that he knew he made a mistake in tagging Eric but wasn't going to go back on his decision.

All in all, we had a great time, made some new friends and got some new members.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:06 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow.... we just made it back to Houston!!! Superman Robert pulled a 900 mile drive today!!! Its hard to believe that yesterday we were racing at Indiana and we were almost the last car to leave the track at 6.00pm...

It was an amazing weekend, for me meeting the Big Turttle, Eric, Jeff, Greg, Bill and the new teamates along with Jeremy, Rob and Nicki was the highlight of my weekend. I had a ton of fun with all of you guys, it was really great meeting you all in person, it was trully worth it coming up there.

You guys are really kind to me...I plaingly sucked big time, were's Robert truly is an outstanding driver and drove the doors of my car. Seriously him running these times with a car that has stock size 17" Sport cups on and a shot set of Bilsteins with 350lbs front and 500lbs rear is simply amazing to me.
The enduro was great , finally I could mix it a little and for the first time that weekend I kind of felt what was happening to my setup and I got into a nice groove around the track. I'm really glad I stuck it through and swam at the end...
Having said that I will return next year, it will probably be from Vancouver that time around ,but I do have unfinished business with this track and I will not let it get the best of me

The car is simply amazing!!! Indeed it run back to back 4-5 racing hours per day for three straight days!!! 993's are bulletproof, just feed them gas, oil and tires... The car did not miss a beat all weekend, we went through a set of pagids, 1 set of Sport Cups and melted pretty good two other sets. Robert bought a brand new set which we used wisely at the enduro and Mark in Hermosa sent me his used cups which we used at the sprint races...

All and all a great weekend, Congrats to Greg for a beautifull win, to my teammate Robert for showing me how it's done and winning rookie of the race and to my poor car for bearing two guys beating on it everyday

Eric, it was not your fault my friend, hang in there...

Again I want to thank all of my teamates for the support and help they all provided me during the weekend. I very much look forward to seeing you all again.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

So...after a good night sleep here are some pics from the turttle event:

Turttles in a row:

My baby bleeding :

Jeff's Euro Carreraor "Hey Fix Me car" :

"HEY FIX ME!" Robert and Jeff working on that broken sway:

Yes THE KING turttle himself, our Leader, our Inspiration, our team Founder with his track appliance:

Superfast Bill with his awesome RS:

Eric's wounded but still awesome Red Cabrio:

The start of the Group 1 race:

Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Danny

Thanks for posting the pictures. Interesting that so many of our cars are up in the air.

Good captions too, except maybe for that inspiration stuff. I'm not sure how to take that.

I'm amazed you two made it home yesterday. Robert is an ironman. Two races and a tow - wow.

Joey
We want you with us next year.

Quick Reply: HWFMR report: A tale of scruts, the thunder turtle, and good guys triumphant + PIX