Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HWFMR report: A tale of scruts, the thunder turtle, and good guys triumphant + PIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<Robert is an ironman>>

Yup, I didn't know I had it in me (at my advanced age). Thought I left that kind of energy behind when I left my 20s!

Wonderful to get to meet you guys (except Anir ) and get to know the Chicago contingent. While Putnam isn't a Big Name track, I felt it was well worth the tow: the track flowed really nicely, wasn't too slow considering it was a 1.8, the rolling farmland was gorgeous, and the weather was beyond awesome - especially coming out of Texas. I'm just worried about you guys coming to TWS -- it's an absolute dump compared to Putnam's facilities. At least it's by a college town, so the Saturday night scenery is good

Like Greg said, Putnam Park & Michelins seem to be like oil & water. After three days of slippin' and slidin' around that track, I'm ready to enter the ice racing pro circuit! I really felt like a WRC driver all weekend. It really hit home when I saw the expression on the face of the driver that spent a lot of time behind me during the sprint race. He swore that at least three times he was positive I was going off, and kept being disappointed/amazed I never took myself out of the race .

Skip, which weekend are you coming to Hallett? It looks like right down the street to me now - only 8 hours away!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen

It really hit home when I saw the expression on the face of the driver that spent a lot of time behind me during the sprint race. He swore that at least three times he was positive I was going off, and kept being disappointed/amazed I never took myself out of the race .

You should have seen the expression on my face!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, you said you didn't have any in-car video of my sprint race!!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Robert,

I heard the same kind of comments from a friend that was behind me at the June race. Everyone else near me was on Hoosiers and had a nice clean line through the turns, but not me, I was catching it at every track out and pushing at every entrance, no fun if you are trying to go fast. I think the tires must be for guys wanting to do "drifting" competition.

Glad you made it up for the race and hope you get back up here again.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:24 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen
Hey, you said you didn't have any in-car video of my sprint race!!
No...but the video from the enduro race is enough!!! Especially after that tail slide on turn 10!!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hell, which lap was I NOT tail sliding?!

Edit: We'll have to plan for some extra time for video review when you come down to get your car.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Robert,

I heard the same kind of comments from a friend that was behind me at the June race. Everyone else near me was on Hoosiers and had a nice clean line through the turns, but not me, I was catching it at every track out and pushing at every entrance, no fun if you are trying to go fast. I think the tires must be for guys wanting to do "drifting" competition.

Glad you made it up for the race and hope you get back up here again.
Yup, I was actually quoting you w/o credit . Come to think of it, it would have been hugely educational to find a guy w. a set of Hoosiers on compatible wheels and borrow them for a few laps during a practice session -- I'm pissed now I didn't think of that.

Edit: on second thought, it's probably better I didn't. Eric would have gone into his shell & never come out again if I dropped into the 19s or 18s
Old 09-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Talk about going into your shell, there was an "I" car that qualified with a 1:23, better than a third of the E & F cars, and an "H" car that was faster than half the E and F-ers.

I wonder if they were on MPSCs or Hoosier Daddies?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:25 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so I have no excuse Danny got his photos out there after an 11 hour drive so I guess I better get mine out there too.

Not too many this weekend as I was under the hood most of the time but here you go...

Here is Rob and Nicki King lounging Pondside after killing a dozen Krispy Kremes.

Eric (must have been Saturday morning) and Robert swapping track strategy..."what is behind me does not matter", racing room? who needs racing room?

CAR FOR SALE!#@$!#$%@#&$^%$*&*&%*$^%#

The true secret to Robert's speed???? Miller High Life for breakfast and his lucky Bart tie

The true secret to Bills's speed??? Four Advil after a "heavy" night

Make fun of my antique all you want, I don't think this guy had much more track time than me but I'm sure when he did he had a ton more fun

Old 09-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

The best part of Robert's "Homer Tie" is that it was made of Nomex...
Old 09-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the detailed posts! Looks like I missed a great weekend - especially getting to meet Danny and Robert. At least, I can live vicariously through all of you and the great stories.

Jeff, you are the embodiment of American ingenuity! Greg, congrats on the win - wish I could have been there to cheer you on (not that I don't want you to win too, Bill!). Eric, I hope the scruts will see fit to reverse their decisions.

Mike, I hope those flesh-eating bacteria are no longer bothering you!

Looking forward to F1 @ Indy this weekend!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Sorry for jumming in late here. It was great to see all the regulars and meeting danny and robert. putman can be a slippery track even on hoosiers, or at least old hoosiers as i found out. there is a lot of off camber turns that you have to dance through. my 2 near spins and real spin had nothing to do with seeing double that day

congratulations greg again on a great win. I have to be happy with 2nd , since after my few miss steps I had fallen all the back from 1st to 4th.

Eric good luck with your appeal, Jeff good luck with you car, and Mike great gathering once again.

Quick Reply: HWFMR report: A tale of scruts, the thunder turtle, and good guys triumphant + PIX