Mintex race brake pads for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mintex race brake pads for DE?

I've heard good reports on both Hawk & Pagid pads. In addition, I've used Hawks on my RX-7 race car with great results. So I know these are good options for DE pads.

However, I know little about Mintex Race pads. With Performance Products current 20% off promotion, they are very attractively priced!

Anyone out there have experience with these things?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Jack:

Great pads,....go for it.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 349 Posts
I used them...they worked well. They will crank out a wee bit of extra brake dust. With Pagid Orange at about $400 a set, Mintex may be more economical.

I used them at California Speedway last year. There was a 130mph down to 50 mph or so turn every lap. The Minitex pads did their job, no complaints (no fade)!

And besides if Steve recommends them, they must be good. He may even stock them if you drop him a note.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say good or bad since I've never used them. Have Performance Friction 90 compound for the track; great pads for track but squeal like mad on the street (as do pretty much every track pad, I bet).

One more data point!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the Mintex C-Tech pads on my car. Did a few track events last year (Aug thru Oct) and was at Summit Point last week. I don't care for them as track pads. With hard use, they get soft. I had previously used KFP Magnums, which are carbon kevlar, and liked those on the track much better. Only reason I'm not using Hawk is they supposedly eat up rotors; and Pagids supposedly leave a coating on the rotors.

I think all track pads are going to throw off a lot more dust than street pads. In my opinion, the C-Techs are better suited to aggressive street driving.

Richard
Old 05-02-2003, 01:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts
All performance brake pads should leave a 'transfer leyer' of material. That is part of the bedding process.

For the people that swap pads in and out for street then to DE, how long does it take for the track pads to bed in? Do you generally swap pads a few days before the event to assure bedding?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:22 AM
kary993
Drifting

I must say I have had installers put in Pagid Orange's differently. With one the noise was very loud with another it was minimal on the street. In both cases the track effort was very good, well beyond stock or mintex pads.

I recommend that you find a good intaller and put in Pagid orange pads. If you got the first installer I had then definitely go for the mintex pads as improperly installed will yield tremendous noise.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:26 PM
SMB993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've used the Mintex C-Tech pads (1144 compound)for 2 track weekends and do not like them. They didn't seem to have a good initial bite, which I like, and didn't seem progressive enough. After these 2 events, I removed the Mintex pads and noticed all 8 mpads had surface cracks (think about how a dried up lake bed looks). I switched to Hawk Blue pads and like the way they feel for my purposes - good initial bite and progressive deceleration. I will stick with these for the forseeable future even though the dust is supposed to be corossive. I just make sure that I wash the wheels and car after every event.

Steve
Old 05-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did some additional homework after seeing the wide range of responses here. Mintex offers three C-Tech pad compounds. Performance Products is selling is the 1144 compund which seems more appropriate for agressive street and autox usage.

Guess I'll stick with Hawk Blues.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Quick Reply: Mintex race brake pads for DE?