Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions? - Good track car for $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

In California there is a 944 Spec Series. The theory is, for under $10,000, you can acquire the car in install all the legal mods. These guys are having fun. Many of these are street legal cars hence the drivers are stuffing their Toyo (series spec) race tires in the back and driving to the track.

Clearly the fastest car fro the money is the 944 Turbo car. I have been told is is reliable as long as you don't mess with the boost pressure.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM
abetaque
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. A common suggestion is to purchase a car for quite a bit below my budget to allow for additional expenses such as tires, brakes, maintenance, etc. Would a car in this budget range (e.g., a 944 Turbo S) be better for the track than my '03 M3, or should I just enjoy my M3 until I can afford to take a definite step up (e.g., a 993 or 996)? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:35 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO...

Step 1: take your M3 to the track a couple of times to get a feel for things and see whether the addiction takes.

Once (not if) it does, ask yourself how you'd feel taking the M3 for a drive through the grass, over a curb, into a gravel trap or a tire wall - these are all possible as you push the car further under varying conditions. Also ask yourself how much you're willing to modify your daily driver, since you will want to increase performance as you learn to go past various limitations put on the car in order to make it a nice road vehicle. Once you add the roll bar and seats and start pulling stuff off, it's not a nice road vehicle any more.

Step 2: go buy a 944 turbo and try to drive the wheels off it.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Do you want to win, or just have fun?

If you just want to have fun, there's a whole spectrum of cars available from older RX-7s, 914s, and 911s to something more dedicated like a track spec 993.

If you want to win, then as usual, the amount of money you sink in will define your competitiveness be it in performance parts or just driver skill. I have known many who now just race/track for fun because they couldn't keep up with the expenses required to be really competitive.

IMHO, if I was starting out, I would start a cheap used track car that had been modified to a certain class spec. Only when I get really good will I then get a higher performance car because I've already proven to myself and others that it's me, and not the car that's making me go faster.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:23 PM
abetaque
Track Day

Definitely seem to be a lot of plugs for the 944 Turbo. Now I need to start to understand the different types available. It seems that I would want a 944 Turbo S, or a 1989 or later 944 Turbo (because all 1989 or later Turbos were S, even though they dropped the designation). Is that correct? Would stock be good for what I am looking for (a *lot* of fun, but not necessarily competitive)? What would be considered low mileage for a car this old, and what would be a good price for a low mileage car? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rezal
Do you want to win, or just have fun?

If you want to win, then as usual, the amount of money you sink in will define your competitiveness be it in performance parts or just driver skill. I have known many who now just race/track for fun because they couldn't keep up with the expenses required to be really competitive.
NO! That is the beauty of 944 spec racing (I wish Peanut in CA would chime in). The $'s are even. Driver skill is what it takes.

If you want to talk about the spec racing, PM "Peanut in CA". He is in the process of taking a 944 to spec.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

I take back my spec Miata comment.

E30 M3. In your budget, built for the track from the factory and there isn't much you need to do, so the budget can pay for fees, tires and brakes.

Although, the 944 option is a bit more Porsche-friendly.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

All '89 turbos were indeed S versions. No turbos were imported after '89.
The S had around 250 hp stock. the standard 944 Turbo (Type 951) '86-88 had 217 hp.
In '89 the 944S2 was introduced at 208 horsepower. It was available for a few years - 91 iirc, when it was replaced by the 968.

You can get an S2 for the same dollars as a 951, and in theory, they don't need as much maitenance. There are some very fast guys out there running S2 and 968 and whooping the 951 variants)

All these cars give you a lot for your dollar. I love the 993 -- see below, but I chose a 944 for the track for this reason.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:41 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Buy a SRF and go racing. You have no experience, so you have no bad habits. Skip the DE altogether and do the real thing. There is no comparison to a real race car in a real race. Then add 50 other identical cars and 4 wide into turn one and tell me you still want to do a DE.

Am I matter of fact about it? Yes. Have I been there? Yes. I have been doing DEs for more than 10 years and now race SRFs in the SCCA. Looking back, I wish I have been racing those 10 years. Trust me.

Here is the info on SRFs

E. J.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:53 PM
David '96 993
Pro

I am in a similar situation as yourself as I have done a bunch of DE's and now would like to get a track car as well. Things can happen to the vehicle on the track both mechanically and cosmetically, so a track car is a wise choice.

I have to echo the comments regarding the Spec cars as it keeps the $$$ down to a reasonable level. I got to passenger in a Spec Miata at Laguna Seca and was impressed with the car. I do love Porsches though and enjoy the events the clubs put on. This Spec 944 group is new in California and started in Arizona last year. It looks appealing and is growing as it is very competative and the cost is low. I think that it is a great way to learn and get great experience/seat time. I am still doing my research, but am leaning towards the Spec 944. You can run the car with a few different groups here in California as well.

Last edited by David '96 993; 09-22-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:02 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

OK, I'll chime in.

Yes, I am building a 944 Spec. Why, because I can't afford to mod my daily driver 993. I know it needs a new clutch at $3K and a functioning LSD would be nice too!! But, even if I did those things, I still drive at 8/10ths because I CANNOT afford to put it off.

So instead, build a cheap car to the same spec and test driver skill, not wallet skill.

So far, I have spent about $2.5K on on car, repairs and maintenance, including some extra wheels and a new frnot valance. I'm getting a full roll cage installed for about $1K. Complete suspension package to spec is about $2.5K fitted and aligned and that is being generous. So, ready to race, less tires and minor things (add another $1K) for about $7-7.5K. And that will be dor to door racing in a car I don't mind running off the black stuff. I did some of the work myself, stripping interior etc. Makes it more fun with the personal investment. Plus, I'll be driving mine to the track with electric windows and all!!

Cheers,
PeanutinCA.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Start with a 1990 - 1993 Carrera 2 for $20-24,000.

Add:
Roll bar $500 - $1000
Harnesses (x2) $400
Race seats (x2) $1100
H&R coilovers $1000
Competition brake pads $300
Sway bars $1000
R-compound tires $1200
Alignment/corner balance $200

Total: ~ $30,200

The smile on your face? Priceless!!!

Best of luck with your decision.
Erick
Old 09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Then when you realize your competition has lightweight flywheel, Headers, Chip, top of the line LSD, bigger/wider wheels with faster R compound tires you can't drive on the road, factor in the trailer and tow vehicle, the storage space for all plus registrations etc.

The reality is most likely this. You will enjoy it. A suggestion earlier to try it a few times before buying is not a bad idea? When you decide you will continue, you will inevitably realize that you want to catch the guy in front. Or, if your any good, you will be in front but realize the guys behind you are spending money to catch up. So, you will want to spend loads of money on all the possible upgrades. Trust me, it will happen!! I'd like for someone to stand up here and say they have never thrown money at making their car go faster and actually just enjoy driving what they have. Only impriving time by skill alone, which can only go so far. There will not be too many of you!

So do yourself a favor. Figure out what it is you want to do, before you even start. I could have bought a built 944 Spec for the upgrade money I've spent on my car. I'm going that route now before I spend anymore money.

Cheers.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:20 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

abetaque,
By "dedicated track car", do you mean a car that is dedicated to driving on the track for fun? Or do you mean, a competitive in-class race car? This could be a potentially huge difference, and I think that I am hearing recommendations that are making two different assumptions.

Erick
Old 09-23-2003, 12:29 AM
abetaque
Track Day

I mean a car that will be used only for driving at the track for fun.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply: Opinions? - Good track car for $30k?