Cut The Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:05 PM
NickC4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cut The Carpet?

I am looking to put a CDC3 in the trunk of my C4S, and have solved - with the help of Rennlisters - most of the thorny issues - drilling the bulkhead, placement of the unit, etc..

I understand from the dealer that the carpet with the cut-out to take disk-changer is $600-ish - no chance of me buying - plus a carpet cover for $100-ish.

I am thinking about using the Porsche mounting bracket, mounting conventionally, and making the cut-out myself, and trimming the hole, to prevent freying (somehow).

I was wondering if anyone had been in this direction, and could post some pictures of their modified carpet?

Thanks for the help.

Nick
Old 09-21-2003, 12:19 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick
I've not done your project, but a decent auto upholstery shop will properly (& inexpensively) finish your edges to prevent fraying & look good. Check w/high end new car dealers for referrrals to shops they use in your area.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:05 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

the perlon felt fabric of the trunk liner does NOT have a tendency to fray. And, the edges are hidden behind the changer; so i think upholstering the edge would not really be necessary. i rounded the inside corners of the cutout to help prevent further 'progress' of the cut-line.
Does anyone out there have the factory or dealer trimmed piece that could give some measurements of the cutout??
max
Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max is right, the material is not that prone to fraying. The shop that did my cdc install just made slits...and since the carpet is not being moved that often, fraying has not been an issue for me.

btw, if I were to do it again I would probably try to attempt to mount it on the underside of the spare wheel cover in the recess. While the cdc is not that large to begin with it, seems to meaningfully reduce my trunk space whenever I need it most!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Nick and Max

My 6CD changer was mounted by the dealer when I bought the car. As David said, the dealer just made slits in the carpet liner material and used the factory bracket. The felt liner will not fray - no need to trim it out and the slits are not visible.

I would be glad to email either of you a few photos or make a template out of kraft paper in order for you to make the slits in the right spot - assuming you use the factory mount. Email me if this would help.

Also the Porsche dealer riveted the bracket to the frame rail (bulkhead). I drilled out the rivets and mounted using "nutcerts" or "rivnuts". You may want to do the same, so you can get the CD changer out of the way during maintenance.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:43 PM
NickC4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the offer of the template. Would be great with a photo and dimensions of the trapezoidal hole, etc..

Nick
Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Nick,

No problemo. Email me an address, I'll send a template and some photos.

Remember this is for the Porsche factory mount for the 6 cd changer. No holes, just "slits" in the trunk lining.

Will take me a day or two to do.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nick:

I have a front carpet with the factory cd cutout and cd cover in black if you are interested.

Hank
Old 09-23-2003, 11:58 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

Hank, any pictures of the factory cut-out??
thanks, Max

Quick Reply: Cut The Carpet?