Sponsored by:

Handbrake Adjustment Prob

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:29 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake Adjustment Prob

Got some good tech, help about how to tighten the 993 Handbrake so that it actually works ( I thought I'd try the inside Central console approach first ) But the adjustment nut appears or certainly feels like its welded to the locking nut behind!

Is there any tips for these sort of tight nut loosening. Its partly that the metal pulley type thing ( the cable loops around ) moves as you try and apply force.

I guess that I could go with the rear wheel adjustment point ( Not got a manual ) Someone on a thread talked about moving a roller or something that adjusts the cable. Is there a Tech. article about this ?

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've attacked the rear adjustment point. As I remember, you jack up the back end and remove both wheels, then rotate the rotor till you see the star wheel adjustment thru the peep hole. Then pull up the brake handle till it grabs on the third catch. Then adjust the star wheel with a screwdriver (can't remember which way you turn it) till the brake firmly grabs (you can't turn the rotor). Then release the brake handle and ensure that the brakes fully release.

If you've ever worked on a car with rear drum brakes, should be totally familiar.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I find PB Blaster the best penetrating oil for breaking rusted/tight nut and bolts. Spray on as stated by Silver bullet, let sit for few minutes, and spray again and let sit for a few minutes. Ray remember the 'ol spoons for brake drums well - good analogy.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:39 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Hope to get some pic's of my new baby soon. [ Mental Note, must remember that I have a family ]

Quick Reply: Handbrake Adjustment Prob