Litronics group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Litronics group buy?

Is anyone interested in a Litronics group buy? I'm trying to set something up with www.departstop.com

They have listed on eBay for $1500 and on their website for $1799, but I think we can get them for $1395 or less + shipping for a complete kit including lights, ballasts, and wiring.

No affliation, just need better lights than 2 candles!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:21 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without arguing against the Litronic swap, I would like to note the tremendous difference in my headlights after performing the "take 'em apart and clean up the insides" service described in the DIY section of Robin's site.

You might want to try this, at least in the interim, as well as installing any of the many "optimized" halogen bulbs. The difference is significant.

Again, HID fans, I'm not comparing halogen and HID or arguing against the HID/Litronic swap.

Regards to all.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:59 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

David,
Thanks for the reminder. I would certainly want to attempt this first, and then consider an upgrade if I'm not satisfied.

Sachin - Isn't $1500 a bit high? I recall several members on this board upgrading to Catz kits for ~ $400 and were satisfied with the results. I don't think Liteswap sells these anymore but the price difference is significant.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Labatt
Instructor

I'm up for it... I've been debating the $1,500 price point I saw on eBay from departstop and decided to hold off. If I can get them for less, I can do that...
Old 09-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The liteswap kit was an aftermarket retrofit, that fits in to the headlamp housing.

The Litronics are Porsche factory units that replace your entire headlamp unit, and were offered as an option on the 993s. Not to mention the fact that you always get replacement parts from Porsche if needed.

The Porsche Stealer (I meant dealer) charges close to $2500.

Originally posted by fluid15
David,
Thanks for the reminder. I would certainly want to attempt this first, and then consider an upgrade if I'm not satisfied.

Sachin - Isn't $1500 a bit high? I recall several members on this board upgrading to Catz kits for ~ $400 and were satisfied with the results. I don't think Liteswap sells these anymore but the price difference is significant.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:38 PM
DrZ
Racer

I think at one time this vendor was selling them for around $1350. Also figure in that a set of 993 used halogens usually go for betwn $250-300 on eBay. As in the alum gauge swap I think it is worth paying the difference for OEM stuff.

Count me interested if the price is right.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:42 PM
kevin993c4
Advanced

I got mine approximately 3 1/2 years ago for $1,250 from the dealership. It was on sale. But I am sure with some negotiation, anyone can get this price.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:54 PM
dbelleperc
Racer

What I was thinking is getting a used pair a halogen lights, taking them apart and installing used Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon projectors so now you would have Bi-Xenon instead of regular Xenon projectors and that total cost would be about $400-600 dollars.

Anyways if you want Factory stuff like myself Mashaw sells 993 Litronics for $1400 but they are not on their website I guess you have to call them.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:50 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default H1 HID Kit

I agree that HID (Litronic) lighting is a vast improvement over stock H1 bulbs, however, don't pay dealer prices for the conversion kit.

I have retrofitted two Porsche's with OEM German quality kits from Hella and Philips for approximately $250 - $350. The conversion is simple to do and the kits are readily available on eBay and other automotive websites.

Check out Robin's P-car site for detailed instructions and save your money for other toys!

http://p-car.com/diy/hid/
Old 09-21-2003, 02:49 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H1 HID Kit

Originally posted by FlatSix911
I have retrofitted two Porsche's with OEM German quality kits from Hella and Philips for approximately $250 - $350. The conversion is simple to do and the kits are readily available on eBay and other automotive websites.

Check out Robin's P-car site for detailed instructions and save your money for other toys!

http://p-car.com/diy/hid/
Ted
Since you linked to my old p-car.com piece (& photos) on HID conversion, I feel compelled to question your post. Just what is it that you're suggesting as a "simple" $250-$350 conversion of 993 lighting to HID?

Having BTDT years ago, a D2S HID conversion of a 993 is far from "simple" & is definitely NOT something I'd recommend. OTOH, an H1 conversion (Catz, Autolamps, etc.) is relatively simple & very effective, but then that's old stuff around here having been the subject of many posts. Moreover, I do not believe Hella or Philips makes an H1 HID conversion kit (or bulb). However, I'm always willing & open to learn something new.
Oh, and don't forget some links to those readily available kits.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:03 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Dan, here are a few current links: (no relation to the the sellers)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2433300680

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2430707756

www.autolamps-online.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2433006814

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2433510891

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2431406790

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2431430181

Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2003, 04:13 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by FlatSix911
Dan, here are a few current links:
[omitted]
Hope this helps!
Ted
Your links do help explain the source of your misinformation.

Apart from the well known quality Autolamps kits which are priced well above your quoted price range, your links are all to "no-name" kits by "no-name" eBay sellers. If you believe even half their claims, I've got some lush Arizona farmland that might be of interest. While a few of the kits might be fine, they also may be complete garbage. Some of the kits use Philips or Hella ballast/igniter units. None of them could use Philips or Hella H1 HID bulbs, since (at present) they don't make any. However, a few seem to have Philips/Hella D2S bulbs re-manufactured by "who knows who" to an H1 base configuration. Proper bulb conversion is complex & I sure wouldn't trust an unproven source. At least one kit uses a Hella ballast with a D2S bulb which, of course, won't fit into an H1 993 headlight without gutting the mount.

Since you've tacitly endorsed these kits w/your earlier post about viable alternatives to Litronics, which one(s) can you personally vouch for? No flame intended, but don't you think it's irresponsible to suggest to others that they spend their money on a product about which you know nothing?

Btw, from my quick visits all your linked kits use a one piece ballast/igniter which, in our cars, will not allow the oem like installation possible with 2 separate units (e.g., Catz). There are many detailed threads if you search. That might be a good idea.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:39 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Dan, thanks for sharing your wisdom with the group...I am sure we can all benefit from alternative HID lighting sources.

I checked your original post on Robins site regarding "Aftermarket non OEM HID for 993" and found the link to RM Lighting, Inc. at http://www.xenonshop.com/ has been suspended.

Are they still in business and if so, would you recommend them to our group? Any other vendors that you would suggest? Catz, McCulloch, etc.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:45 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

I have to agree with everything Dan has written so far.

To produce an H1 conversion kit, the D2S bulb has to be mounted onto an H1 socket, ALIGNED PROPERLY and preferably mounted in a way that will hold true after years of intense heat and vibration. The Autolamps kit has been used by many Rennlisters with not a single compliant, iirc. I can also vouch for the kit as I have it installed myself. It is your decision in the end but would you really go with an 'untested' kit to save a few dollars?

Re the litronics: no-one has yet mentioned that they include a self-levelling device which is strictly speaking required by law in some countries in conjunction with the Xenon bulbs. That is why some vendors sell the conversion kits for 'off road use only'. That is also a personal decision for you to make.

I don't know how the high-beams work on the Litronics, but with the H1 Xenon conversion kits, you only convert the main bulb and the high-beam remains stock.

There are many threads regarding this conversion and the pros and cons. Whichever you choose, you will enjoy a significant improvement in lighting!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, don't forget that the aftermarket kits were recently banned for sale in the US. See the following thread.... aftermarket HID thread here

So, getting replacement parts might be a problem, even if you can find a kit still for sale.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Litronics group buy?