Sponsored by:

Solid rear axle mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 04:36 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Solid rear axle mounts

Does anyone have solid mounts for the rear suspension subframes on their car (RSR/GT2 style)?

I'm trying to get rid of the remaining rear end squirm on the track and get more precision from the rear of the car on direction changes, and already have monoballs, RS track control arms, PSS-9 & RS bars, so seems like solid bushes for the left/right rear sub-frames are the next step. However, I have heard that the rubber subframe isolation contributes a lot to reducing noise/harshness.

I'd appreciate any comments/experience on the benefits/drawbacks of the solid mounts, for road and track. I do a lot of road miles (20k/year) and find my current setup perfectly acceptable for road use, i.e. the present ride/noise levels etc don't bother me at all (in fact I have grown to really dislike the odd occasions when I have to drive a "normal" car, which usually feels more like a boat).

Could the solid mounts be a step too far for daily road use?

TIA,

Last edited by JohnM; 09-19-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:43 AM
'95 993
Instructor

John,

Can't help on your question but awesome spec for your car.

Your spec matches my "plan" for my '95 C2 (following archive searches).

I have just started track days and have been bitten by the bug big time, five so far this year!

What order would you do your mods in?

Who did you get to fit / align your suspension mods and what were your experiences?

Thanks

& good luck with your rear end squirm elimination

John S
Old 09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
JohnM
Racer

Hi John,

I would say start with the PSS-9, plus the RS bars if you have the spare cash (I ran std bars with PSS-9 for about 10k miles, it is still a big improvement but the RS bars are a further gain). Lower the car at the same time, if you don't want to go all the way to RS height then RS+10mm also works well.

Don't know where you are in the UK, but I highly recommend Peter Tognola for any suspension work, including alignments. He is in Datchet, Berks on 01753 545053. Further north I found Phil Hindley at Tech9 to be excellent (he fitted the RS bars) and in roughly the same area Colin Belton at NineMeister is always highly spoken of but I've not had any work done there myself.

Regards,
Old 09-19-2003, 09:11 AM
'95 993
Instructor

John

Thanks for advice, and speedy response - you must be working as hard as I am this Friday afternoon ;-) I live in Glos, work in Oxford and travel all over with work - lot in warrington at the moment so all your recommendations are possible.

Do you go to PCGB track days? If yes I may catch up with you the sept Castle Combe, and Donnington days and the November Brands day?

Cheers

John
Old 09-19-2003, 09:15 AM
JohnM
Racer

I mostly do RMA Circuit Club days, I'm at Bedford with them tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:18 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Now I am jealous, top circuit, I was there at the end of August
Old 09-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have monoballs for the toe links? This IMO is one of the most important pieces as it gives better control of the toe settings during cornering. I have some factory RSR pieces (expensive) but ERP makes some nice parts as well.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:57 AM
JohnM
Racer

Hi Greg,

No I don't (not yet, anyway ). I've seen on PET that the rearmost upper link has stiffer rubber in the RS version, thought about swapping to that - are you referring to that link specifically or all 3?

Monoball cartridges in all those rear links is a temptation, but I'm concerned that I'd end up replacing them every year with my road mileage, any thoughts on that?

Could you PM me with the prices of those RSR parts?

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John,
I personally would do the links first before the subframe bushings. The lower link that attaches to the bottom of the shock is the toe link and I would start there, before doing the other links. I don't think you will have any maintenance issues, I sure haven't, but I don't drive my car on the street either. Maybe Steve W. can give some insight on that.

There are three links: toe, kinematic toe, and camber. The RSR toe link from Porsche Motorsport is about $1000 for the set (two links) has a bolt that goes through the link so it is easy to take the shock off without disconnecting the link at the chassis and is most likely stronger than the stock piece. On my camber and kinematic links I just had steel bushings installed. I think the three links from ERP (top quality parts) are around $1500 but email Steve W. at Rennsport for an exact quote, as he is a dealer for them.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The technician who looks after my cars suggested I change the subframe mounts on the RS to those on the GT2....I was informed this would improve my times by 3 seconds a lap on a certain circuit.....As he was unable to tell me what this was worth around the gym carpark,I held back for the time being.
Cost as i recall was approx £400 + fitting another £150 or so.

Quick Reply: Solid rear axle mounts