Sponsored by:

Koni FSD Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Koni FSD Install Questions

I have a couple of question about Koni FSD installation. Likely to be more before I'm done with this project and
the associated 'while I'm in there' diversions.

1) The white nylon washer (inside the topmost red box in the picture below) - Is this the correct location for it?
Koni's hieroglyphics are pretty hard to follow.

2) The original Monroe rear shock assembly included a black plastic shim between the base of the spring and
the shock body. With this shim installed on the Koni shock, I can't seem to fit the spring over it (as shown inside
the lower red box in the picture below). If you installed Koni FSDs, what did you do here?

Searching showed member crw's post showing he did not install any spacer.
and bcameron59 wrapped duck tape to help hold his M030 springs in place.

Rear Koni FSD shock
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Regarding #1, I couldn't figure out the vowels in the hieroglyphics... so I just left the little white plastic ring completely off the whole assembly.

Regarding #2, the black insert (993 333 110 0 "supporting mount"), as you have discovered, won't fit with the konis - too tight. But don't throw it out, in case you switch to a different shock later on.

To prevent the risk of the spring rotating when the car is jacked up, another RLister zip-tied his springs to the top mounts to hold them into position. I might use that trick too, but for now the duck tape "shim" on the shock has prevented the spring from rotating when the car is raised.

Would be interesting to hear from someone that had these installed by a shop - what did the tech do about the items you noted?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So here's what I did with these two parts

1) White nylon washer
I think what Koni is trying to say is this. The stuff to the right of the shock is the new stuff provided by Koni. There were two items in the plastic bag that fit the rear shock, the nut at the top of the shock piston and the white nylon washer. So I slid the white nylon washer over the shock piston and let it fall to the top of the shock body as indicated in the diagram.

2) Supporting Mount
The supporting mount is designed to work with the Monroe shock. It will not fit between the coil spring and the Koni shock body. Since I am staying at SUV height, the spring will not move vertically. But I didn't like the slop between the shock body and the coil spring.
So what I did was modify the supporting mount with a utility knife. I cut the ridge off the bottom (so the mount would lay flat on Koni's spring perch) and I trimmed the vertical rise so that the mount will fit between the spring and the Koni shock. I preserved the flat bottom section of the mount so the mount acts as a buffer between the spring and the spring perch.

Above: Top side - original mount

Above: Bottom side - original mount (note the ridge)

Above: Top side - modified mount - note vertical areas removed while preserving the horizontal base

Above: Bottom side - modified mount (ridge removed)

Quick Reply: Koni FSD Install Questions