Sponsored by:

Koni FSD + ROW M030

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Quag
Not exactly on point here, but I am running FSD's with H&R sport springs on my '95 coupe. Lowers the car about an inch and provides a much firmer and more controlled ride than stock, but not as stiff as a track setup would be. I don't know if this is a "recommended" setup or not, but I can tell you it fits fine and works well. The car was realigned and corner balanced at a pro race shop (SpeedSyn in Tampa) and handles very well on the racetrack this way.
Out of curiosity, can you post a profile pic of your car? Curious to see the ride height with this setup. I understand H&R springs lower the car more than M030 springs, all things being equal.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

How do you corner balance a car with non-adjustable rear shocks?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Corner balance the 993 ....?? w/FSD fixed rear damper.

+1 .... You don't. (Koni FSD type fixed rear damper)

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Got the car back yesterday. Install went well. Only drove it a bit in traffic and a bit around the streets near my house. The mad rocking see-sawing is gone as is the crazy squeaking from the right front. One of the rear shock mounts had split and had to be replaced also.

Car is tight and firm but not uncomfortable. Can't wait to give it the beans this weekend.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the FSD and M030 setup for almost two years. They are close to the OEM ride with a nice combination of compliance over bumps but still firm in the corners. The ride height is fine for me but some who like the slammed look will want something else.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
I've had the FSD and M030 setup for almost two years. They are close to the OEM ride with a nice combination of compliance over bumps but still firm in the corners. The ride height is fine for me but some who like the slammed look will want something else.
Just curious what you have now and how it compares?

Also looking forward to hearing further impressions from gmorat.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
+1 .... You don't. (Koni FSD type fixed rear damper)
Dampers have nothing to do with corner balance. Futher, if you don't have adjustable drop links to zero preload on the stabilizer bars, you're jacking the chassis and can't acheive a true corner balance. (Not that it really matters for a street car.)

Now I'll go sorta-OT and report on my first stab at track duty with the Turbo equipped with the Ruf spec PSS9s from last weekend at Chuckwalla. Abso_______lutely pointless exercise. I honestly don't know what you guys are trying to acheive by saving ~$1K on a $30-50K car in not using a proper damper if you're going to see even low intermediate duty on track. My data points were 3.0 torsion bar based racer on Hoosiers @ ~1:55, 997.2 GT3RS on NT01s @ ~1:57, and me not being able to get under 2:05. Yeah, first time I'd run an event on street tires in 15+ years, but still. Wallowing, rolling pig of a car.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fozzie bear
Just curious what you have now and how it compares?.
This is what I have now. On my last C2S I had the Bilstein HD's and M030 and it was way too harsh.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Now I'll go sorta-OT and report on my first stab at track duty with the Turbo equipped with the Ruf spec PSS9s from last weekend at Chuckwalla. Abso_______lutely pointless exercise. I honestly don't know what you guys are trying to acheive by saving ~$1K on a $30-50K car in not using a proper damper if you're going to see even low intermediate duty on track. My data points were 3.0 torsion bar based racer on Hoosiers @ ~1:55, 997.2 GT3RS on NT01s @ ~1:57, and me not being able to get under 2:05. Yeah, first time I'd run an event on street tires in 15+ years, but still. Wallowing, rolling pig of a car.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your last point here. Are you saying that RUF PSS9s aren't even good enough for track use? If so then that seems like an additional argument for not spending that extra $1k in an attempt to have dual-use street/track suspension, if that option (PSS9/PSS10) isn't even than great for track use. Instead, doesn't it make more sense just save the money and get a street only suspension setup. I'm confused...
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna say that the firmness of the ride is perfect for me now. The car feels transformed. I don't know if the old and original shocks were shot or not but compared to how the new setup feels I can't help and feel like they were.

The sew-sawing is a thing of the past and the general impression of going around corners under power now is just a more controlled and precise experience. Hit the speed bumps near my house and while I can go over them at more or less the same speed as I could before the squeaking coming form the front right is gone as well as the slightly mad time to settle after each one.

Thumbs up for the FSD's and M033's.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
?...snip

Thumbs up for the FSD's and M033's.
Did you do MO33 or MO30?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

M033's.

Originally Posted by gtroth
Did you do MO33 or MO30?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ken- since the Konis are not threaded as the Bsteins are, in this case the damper certainly does effect the ability to corner balance. That is why the Koni FSD's got off my list.

To the person who posted something about going to Eibach springs- I believe they have a reputation for sagging over time. In other words, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Quag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer Busta Rib, I can't figure out how to post a pic to the thread, but the car with H&R sport springs looks almost exactly like the white one in your posting.

To M. Schneider, the answer is I got lucky. You're right about non-adjustable perches on the rear FSD's, of course. With my weight in the driver's seat and 1/2 tank of gas, we got the fronts just about equal and the rears were about 20 lbs different. Not too bad for a street car.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

How important is it considering both the stock Boge and Monroe rear shocks are non-adjustable as well. I don't think anybody gave the 993 a poor handling report when it came out.

Quick Reply: Koni FSD + ROW M030