Sponsored by:

Should I replace my spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
RockAuto per your link above. Does it show you a higher price?
Whups, my bad, i have currency set to CAD$ on Rockauto. You are correct, US$ price is $287.79 plus shipping.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:38 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Brian, just FYI (I'm sure you already know), this set does not come with any clips or other attachment stuff. So it might or might not be a good deal, depending on how much extra work is involved.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Or $260 at AutoZone: http://www.autozone.com/1/products/3...sch-09264.html with coupon code Start20 now.
Coincidentally I just got a coupon from Rockauto for 5%, expires Oct 18. If anyone wants to use it, go ahead, it's multi-use so anyone can use it.

Wires would be about $270 with 5% off, so depending on shipping looks like autozone or rockauto

Cheers/bc
----------
Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.
The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on October 18, 2015 so don't wait!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:46 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Brian, just FYI (I'm sure you already know), this set does not come with any clips or other attachment stuff. So it might or might not be a good deal, depending on how much extra work is involved.
The set I bought a couple of years ago didn't come with clips but they were easily transferred from the old to new wires, no big deal. Easiest way to do this is just transfer one at a time, matching new to old.

However, like a bonehead, I pulled all the clips off the old one at once, without matching the new ones, so I had to use IXLR8's measurements (can be found with Search) - thanks Alex!

Last edited by bcameron59; 08-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The beru set I got had all of the fasteners on there. The things that group the wires together as they wind through the engine bay. Also, the wires were numbered just like the genuine wires.

Based on the autozone pic, the bosch wires may not have those things. Not trying to knock the Bosch set, but these differences (if they exist) may matter to some folks.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I did mine recently and spent the bucks on a Beru set. I don't have records of when they were last done and my car is closing in on 90K mi. as stated above the biggest advantage of the beru for me is that the wires are factory numbered. that makes correctly placing them a lot easier. could you pull off an old wire and number the new one accordingly? sure; but it did make it easier. certainly not cheaper...
Old 08-21-2015, 07:23 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
The beru set I got had all of the fasteners on there. The things that group the wires together as they wind through the engine bay. Also, the wires were numbered just like the genuine wires.... these differences (if they exist) may matter to some folks.
You're absolutely correct, the bosch ones aren't numbered and don't have the clips (fasteners). Whether this is important to one depends on why they're buying the part:

The clips and numbers would be invaluable to professional mechanics as these would make the job go much faster, while they can still charge by the book rate per job as is the normal practice. The extra cost of the deluxe plug set would be borne by the customer, presumably with a markup. All this is normal and to be expected because these guys have to make a living. If you can't DIY and still want to drive a porsche, it's just the cost of doing business.

It might be worth the extra $$$ for someone who has more money than time... but most of those folks just take their car to the dealer. There are of course exceptions who have vast amounts of disposable cash but DIY as a labour of love - true hardcore enthusiasts and kudos to them!

Many others (myself included) likewise DIY partly as a labour of love, but also at least in part to have more cash for car parts, tuition fees for offspring, dinner out with spouse, etc. Usually they still want top quality parts, but are willing to spend the time to shop around for best pricing, and may trade lower cost for a more challenging installation. Different people make that tradeoff according to what fits them best, and if it's worth a couple hundred bucks to them to not mess around with tracing wires and transferring clips, there's nothing wrong with that.

However, if someone is replacing their their wires to save some $$$, but actually can't figure out how to transfer the clips and trace the wires... maybe they shouldn't be DIY'ing in the first place.

As the old aphorisms go,

Time is money.
Money talks.
Talk is cheap.

Therefore, time is cheap.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59

However, if someone is replacing their their wires to save some $$$, but actually can't figure out how to transfer the clips and trace the wires... maybe they shouldn't be DIY'ing in the first place.

As the old aphorisms go,

Time is money.
Money talks.
Talk is cheap.

Therefore, time is cheap.
seems you feel the need to insult myself and other Rennlisters - not sure why that is constructive to this thread.....
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Fellas,

I've called sunset and my local dealer about pricing on plug wires. I've been told they only sell the plug wires individually not as a set. Have others experienced the same sort of issues? Where are others buying their Beru wires from?

TIA!

Andy
Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Stace, I apologize if it came across as insulting; all I meant was to confirm mpruden's suspicion the clips and numbers aren't there, and that it might matter to some (and not so much to others). You might may have missed this in the paragraph just before the one you quoted:

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Different people make that tradeoff according to what fits them best, and if it's worth a couple hundred bucks to them to not mess around with tracing wires and transferring clips, there's nothing wrong with that.
So I did not intend to impugn you or anyone else if your preferred tradeoff is to have clips and numbered wires! You are totally right, that stuff makes the job way easier and if I wasn't Captain Cheapa$$ (as my son calls me), I might have popped,for them myself. But fact is, I'm on a tight budget for auto maintenance and while I won't compromise on doing it right, I do make every penny scream for mercy.

Please note that I'm trying to help people out on the forum by sharing good pricing I've found, passing on discount coupons etc. The aphorisms were just my lame attempt at humour (and I'm not clever enough to have put them together myself, I got that from some comedian's act years ago).

Seriously, my thing isn't to rip people down, so am truly sorry if it came across that way. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Where are others buying their Beru wires from?
I bought my set from LAPD.

Andreas
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Next month, a good friend and I will be installing a Clewitt kit on my 993. I'm going to take care of some maintenance while we have things apart, and I'm curious to know if I should replace the spark plug wires. Since it'll be much easier to replace them now than later, I'm curious to know what others on the forum think. My car has 106k on the odometer and still drives like a champ. I don't have any splitting on the boots or wires, and have owned the car for about 7 years. Do others replaced these wires based on mileage, or when they start seeing cracking on the boots?
Andy,
If you're going to be in there already... (but not sure doing the Clewett is really in that deep. For the wires, the right side is a bear with the clutch vent tube and engine tin issues. Do the plugs when you do the wires for sure, since you will otherwise do those right side bits twice.)

Really the only place you'll see something "bad" is on the lower wires around the lower valve covers, heat exchangers and mufflers. Lots of heat there. At 118kmi, I had several that had split outer casing on the wires. The boots are pretty thick, so you probably won't see any wear on them, but I found a couple that were chaffed/cut when I pulled them all out and looked them over.

I can't say its the wires, but I did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cleaned injectors and my car runs MUCH better (smoother rev'ing, peppier) now. Peppier as measured by the butt dyno (probably due to better fuel injection spray, not wires, however).
Old 08-21-2015, 09:54 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

I've called sunset and my local dealer about pricing on plug wires. I've been told they only sell the plug wires individually not as a set. Have others experienced the same sort of issues? Where are others buying their Beru wires from?
The parts katalog only lists the wires individually (see below), so that's probably why the dealers sell them that way. I couldn't find them as a kit in the katalog /PET.

I didn't end up buying beru but Pelican and AutohausAZ sells them and it's probably worth checking on Amazon as well.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2015, 10:00 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Andy- bought my Beru wires from FDM for a very good price. It's a much better deal than Sunset.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Next month, a good friend and I will be installing a Clewitt kit on my 993. I'm going to take care of some maintenance while we have things apart, and I'm curious to know if I should replace the spark plug wires. Since it'll be much easier to replace them now than later, I'm curious to know what others on the forum think. My car has 106k on the odometer and still drives like a champ. I don't have any splitting on the boots or wires, and have owned the car for about 7 years. Do others replaced these wires based on mileage, or when they start seeing cracking on the boots?

It's a rather pricey item, so I'd really only like to replace them if others think it would be a good idea -- if not, I'll save the $450.

TIA!

Andy
Ignition wires are a once in the life of the car item. Your wires may have already been replaced. If you do not have misfire codes keep your old wires.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my spark plug wires?