ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my set from Vertex
Old 08-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the Bosch set from Rock Auto and returned it, the ends were NOT Beru and did not have the M3 screw fittings, they were crimped on...how are you going to put on the grommets, etc when you cant take the ends off (They are also Grey color if that matters)

Someone on the 964 board has New Berus that do not have the screw on connectors...looks like this stuff is cheap for a reason
Old 08-22-2015, 01:34 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I bought my set from LAPD.

Andreas
Did they send a large man with a billy club to "serve and protect" along with the wires?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:52 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Stace, I apologize if it came across as insulting; all I meant was to confirm mpruden's suspicion the clips and numbers aren't there, and that it might matter to some (and not so much to others). You might may have missed this in the paragraph just before the one you quoted:

So I did not intend to impugn you or anyone else if your preferred tradeoff is to have clips and numbered wires! You are totally right, that stuff makes the job way easier and if I wasn't Captain Cheapa$$ (as my son calls me), I might have popped,for them myself. But fact is, I'm on a tight budget for auto maintenance and while I won't compromise on doing it right, I do make every penny scream for mercy.

Please note that I'm trying to help people out on the forum by sharing good pricing I've found, passing on discount coupons etc. The aphorisms were just my lame attempt at humour (and I'm not clever enough to have put them together myself, I got that from some comedian's act years ago).

Seriously, my thing isn't to rip people down, so am truly sorry if it came across that way. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.
thanks for that Brian! this is a great place and its easy for anyone to misunderstand another without meaning any harm. I appreciate your quick response! and I have to say changing the wires was a huge PIA. having to raise the intake manifold, etc. I spent a lot more time on this DIY than most of the other things I've done on my 993. all the rennlist tips made it possible!!! thanks again!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Where are others buying their Beru wires from?

TIA!

Andy
Since you find them expensive and so did I, I made mine using proper Beru wire since it is the wire that needed replacing. Far less than half the price, the quality is tops and far better than what Porsche/Beru used to use.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
I bought the Bosch set from Rock Auto and returned it, the ends were NOT Beru and did not have the M3 screw fittings, they were crimped on...how are you going to put on the grommets, etc when you cant take the ends off (They are also Grey color if that matters)

Someone on the 964 board has New Berus that do not have the screw on connectors...looks like this stuff is cheap for a reason
FWIW a user here recently did his plugs and found the connectors on his new Beru set were saw tooth and not the M3 screw. i guess they have changed recently.

Also...
Originally Posted by pp000830
Ignition wires are a once in the life of the car item.
wut?

Last edited by EMBPilot; 08-22-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:59 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Since you find them expensive and so did I, I made mine using proper Beru wire since it is the wire that needed replacing. Far less than half the price, the quality is tops and far better than what Porsche/Beru used to use.
OP, here is an excellent DIY guide by IXLR8:
https://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/P...bles/i-s6X5H32

Also, here is info on the Beru tool, connectors (you want the M3 screw-on type), and wires (you want copper cable, with silicone insulation):
http://www.beru.com/download/produkte/TI05_en.pdf

There's just one catch to rolling your own cables: the tool is $325.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my spark plug wires?