Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone able to get Phatbox to work with Mac?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:54 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Question Anyone able to get Phatbox to work with Mac?

I would love to get a Phatbox, although all the computers in my house and office are Mac's. I'm running OS X at home and use and iPod. I am curious if anyone has been able to use the software for the Pahtbox on a Mac? There are some unsupported software options out there but not enough testimonial to convince me to pull the plug and buy. Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 09-17-2003 | 09:28 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whats a Phatbox Franklin??
Old 09-17-2003 | 09:42 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

you'll probably have more luck with this thread in the OT forum...
Old 09-17-2003 | 09:45 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Go to:

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/di...yers/index.php

It's a digital music player/management system for your car. Memory cartridge can be loaded up with music and used in the player, which replaces the changer in the trunk.
The key is the software you need to manipulate/download music to the cartridge on your computer, like iTunes on a Mac. Currently they are PC only, but I have read about using Virtual PC on a Mac in combo w/iTunes to get it to work. I wanted to know if anyone out there is doing this and if so, how difficult it is.
Old 09-17-2003 | 10:03 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just hooked up my iPod into the AUX input on my radio. Wire plugs into the headphone jack.
Old 09-17-2003 | 11:08 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Franklin - I think you'd have better luck asking this on the phatnoise forum, or on the 996/Boxster forum since those cars come with the CR/CDR-220.
Old 09-19-2003 | 02:51 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Franklin,

The cartridge seems to plug to the computer through USB. If it's seen as a storage device, the mac will mount it, and then if it's not too much a proprietary design, maybe you'll be able to transfer your files manualy. But I would not bet on it and buy it without being sure it works.
Can you find someone who has one, and plug it's cartidge on your mac to see if it's recognized ?

Otherwise, the Virtual PC solution should work. But I assume you buy your software ;-) and the cost of virtual PC + a windows license will make it even more expensive.

Now, it does not seem the ideal solution to me. I mean, it's nice, but not cheap. I just replaced my CR1 and the crappy CD changer for a Pioneer DEH4500MP, it plays CDs and MP3 CDs. Costs around $160 on the web. And for a 20 more bucks, I got a line in AUX adapter, where I can plug my ipod, or my minidisc.
The nice thing about this pioneer model is that it has front + rear line outputs, so I kept the factory amp that came with the hifi package.
I'm really happy with this solution. Mp3 CDs are great, it's like 6CDs at one, but you can change them while driving, the sound is very nice, way better than the CR1.
For the price of the phatbox, you can get such a pioneer and nearly 2 ipods !
And BTW, ipods are firewire, not USB. It must take days to upload 20 gigs through USB !

Hope it helps,

-Guillaume
Old 09-19-2003 | 05:44 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Franklin - alternatively, grab an el-cheapo pc and use it as a dedicated Phatbox machine. A couple of hundred bucks will buy you enough spec to run PMM (Phatnoise Music Manager).
Old 09-19-2003 | 08:14 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Guys-thanks for the info-very helpful!!
I have thought of using an AUX for the iPod but still have the battery drain issue (I use my iPod every other day for the gym and need to recharge it). Currently, I have the Transpod adapter which is a charger AND FM transmitter in one unit (read: no cables to snag). Still, would like to have something more "built in".
I'm going to check out the "el-cheapo pc" route.
Old 09-19-2003 | 01:30 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by tabasco
And for a 20 more bucks, I got a line in AUX adapter, where I can plug my ipod, or my minidisc.
-Guillaume
Guillaume - what is this "line in AUX adapter"? does this plug into an aux slot on the front of your headunit or does it provide an AUX connection to headunits that don't have one? If it is the latter, please could you let me know where you got it from as I think that may answer my current In car audio issue!
Old 09-19-2003 | 11:47 PM
tabasco
Instructor

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Guillaume - what is this "line in AUX adapter"? does this plug into an aux slot on the front of your headunit or does it provide an AUX connection to headunits that don't have one? If it is the latter, please could you let me know where you got it from as I think that may answer my current In car audio issue!
Hi Ruairidh,

The Aux adapter plugs in the rear of the unit. It probably only works with some Pioneer units, and it provides 2 RCA inputs.
That's the same plug to add a CD changer. BTW, there are 2 models of AUX adapters : the one I have, that takes it all, and another one that has a "through" so that you can have an aux and still have a CD changer.

I'm not affiliated with GoPC, but here are the items I bought :

http://www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/produ...roductID=90708

http://www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/produ...roductID=90917

-Guillaume
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:03 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Guillaume - thanks for the response, I really appreciate it

Quick Reply: Anyone able to get Phatbox to work with Mac?