sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it!!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

$10 and a quick trip to your local CAT scale would clear up everything here. I'd be curious if you are anywhere close to your guestimate. Going to Recaros over stock seats might save you an additional 30 lbs or so.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
$10 and a quick trip to your local CAT scale would clear up everything here. I'd be curious if you are anywhere close to your guestimate. Going to Recaros over stock seats might save you an additional 30 lbs or so.
I don't really feel any need to clear up anything. As I said before, the car will be weighed when I get it corner balanced.

The actual weight savings with Pole Positions will be over 60 lbs assuming I don't install sliders, which I won't.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by sand_man
I like it!!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Your car, your project, keep at it. Enjoy the miles and smiles.
I am, thanks!

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Nice project. Interior is looking more 964 than 993, i dig it.
And thanks. I've never driven a 964, but I have spent a fair amount of time driving a 911SC, which was partially my inspiration for the interior changes. I like the simplicity and the more open feel of the older cars.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Fab Headers/Cats

Scott, do you know how much weight you saved going with the Fabspeed setup, and did you have any problems passing CA smog?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Scott, do you know how much weight you saved going with the Fabspeed setup, and did you have any problems passing CA smog?
The headers are 7 lbs lighter without heat exchangers. The cats are 8 lbs lighter. This doesn't include any weight saved by omitting mounts and heat shields. You can also save weight on the mufflers by having them converted by FD Motorsports. I haven't had it smogged lately, but speculate it can pass the sniff test but not visual, so it is a matter of how attentive the smog station is. I was thinking of buying a second place in one of the counties that don't require smog just to avoid the hassle. Alternatively I still have the original cats and swapping it back in would be pretty easy.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

nice, that set up looks beautiful.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarg1
The headers are 7 lbs lighter without heat exchangers. The cats are 8 lbs lighter. This doesn't include any weight saved by omitting mounts and heat shields. You can also save weight on the mufflers by having them converted by FD Motorsports. I haven't had it smogged lately, but speculate it can pass the sniff test but not visual, so it is a matter of how attentive the smog station is. I was thinking of buying a second place in one of the counties that don't require smog just to avoid the hassle. Alternatively I still have the original cats and swapping it back in would be pretty easy.
Check your PM
Old 08-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

"Have you ever corner-balanced a car? It has nothing at all to do with the total weight of a car, and everything to do with the weight on each corner and equalizing the crossweights. Because the seats are smack in the center of the car, and because both seats weigh the same, they will not affect the corner balance."

Corner weight the car with the driver or an equivalent weight in the driver's seat seems to be the logical thing to do.

I have all the sound insulation out, RS flywheel replacing the dual mass, RS carpet set...and I can tell you my car is noisy. But if noise is of no concern, stay at it!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by Don Magee
How do you like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires?
I haven't pushed them hard yet, so I can only comment on the steering feel, which is good. They are loud, but since my exhaust is loud too it isn't intrusive. I've only noticed it when I hit irregular pavement, which causes a high ripping sound.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"Have you ever corner-balanced a car? It has nothing at all to do with the total weight of a car, and everything to do with the weight on each corner and equalizing the crossweights. Because the seats are smack in the center of the car, and because both seats weigh the same, they will not affect the corner balance."

Corner weight the car with the driver or an equivalent weight in the driver's seat seems to be the logical thing to do.

I have all the sound insulation out, RS flywheel replacing the dual mass, RS carpet set...and I can tell you my car is noisy. But if noise is of no concern, stay at it!
Mine is quite noisy also. I try to keep it under 3K rpm and half throttle in residential neighborhoods, but the wife still tells me I am "driving too fast" when I leave home. She hasn't been in the car lately so I can only imagine what she would say about the sounds it is capable of!

Engine pad and interior sound insulation is out also, though I did leave a modified deck cover and the interior fender covers on to try to mitigate the worst of the engine and road noise. So I doubt the additional noise from a lightweight flywheel will change the formula.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You still have the rear parcel shelf? I am surprised. That thing weights 10+ lbs.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by axl911
You still have the rear parcel shelf? I am surprised. That thing weights 10+ lbs.
Mine now weighs 9.2 lbs but I felt it was worth it to make the interior a bit more livable, particularly with the engine pad out. Plus it is nearly impossible to make the rear speaker area look nice with carpet IMO.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarg1
Mine now weighs 9.2 lbs but I felt it was worth it to make the interior a bit more livable, particularly with the engine pad out. Plus it is nearly impossible to make the rear speaker area look nice with carpet IMO.
I also have the RS carpet, lightweight engine pad, and removed my rear parcel shelf. I found much of the noise actually come from removing the carpet sound deadening.

With the rear parcel removed and the lightweight engine sound pad, the sound coming into the cabin was actually pretty nice.

For looks, I put inch thick foam pad under the RS parcel shelf cover. It looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: Summer weight reduction project