993 Forum 1995-1998

Summer weight reduction project

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Summer weight reduction project

Continuing to reduce weight on the 993, I spent many hours over the last three months doing the following:

All A/C componenents removed, with factory non-A/C parts substituted including the engine bracket and airbox filler plate
All heater components removed
Cruise control components removed, column updated to factory non-CC parts
Windshield and headlight washers deleted
Power mirrors deleted, non power factory parts substituted
Rothsport single belt pulleys installed
Fabspeed headers and sport cats installed
FD Motorsports Fister IIIs installed with black ceramic on mufflers, straps, couplers and tips
Modified Fabspeed airbox cover installed with BMC filter
Clutch vent hose removed and tipronic tray substituted
Wevo blue motor mounts installed
RS carpeting installed
Getty Design fiberglass hood and ducktail with X-faktory mesh grill and Seine Systems struts installed
OZ Alleggerita HLT wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires installed
Oddysey 925 battery and mount installed

I also did a bit of maintenance:

Lifters replaced
MAF sensor replaced
ISV replaced
Chain cover gaskets and new fasteners
Lower bumper repainted
Rear axle boots and inside bearings replaced
New brakes and rotors. Dust shields and sensors deleted.
New 3M fender guards installed
Door strap arrestors replaced
New fan installed
Engine oil change
Transmission oil change
Lots of cosmoline removed - Stoner Tarminator worked best for me.
Many fasteners replaced
Collapsed jack support replaced, door strap repaired

Finally, I changed a couple of items which added weight but I felt were worthwhile nevertheless:

Rennline valve covers
Bergville HID and LEDs

I did most of this myself, exceptions being the welding since I lack the equipment and experience, and the painting of the hood and ducktail for the same reasons. It was a satisfying experience disassembling so many of the car's components, and I have a much better understanding of it as a result.

I haven't weighed the car yet, but I estimate it is under 2700 lbs. I assume some of the mods may have increased HP also, but in any case it is noticeably quicker than stock.

My plans over the next year in no particular order include:

Recaro Pole Position NGs when they become available - another 60+ lbs out.
Install lightweight flywheel and new clutch
Euro front and rear bumpers
Attached Images        

Last edited by Jarg1; 08-16-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting project. I think swapping out the seats and adding a bit more retro interior notes will pull the 'look' together a bit more, but you've certainly done a lot of hard work trimming weight. The one mod on your list that I'd question is removing the windshield washers. I use mine too often to let go of that "luxury" option.

I'd love to drive along sometime and see how your slim and svelte 993, compares with my highly optioned fatty 993. I've been contemplating a diet plan for my 993, but I don't want to lose the full-leather interior look.

Great work! Keep us posted on further developments.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Jarg1
Racer

I was pretty frustrated when I discovered the Pole Positions weren't available as that was very high on my list for weight reduction, plus as you noted the interior no longer looks right with the factory seats. I was told by a Recaro dealer that it will be another couple of months before they can be ordered.

I considered putting in the RS washers, but in the 9+ years I have owned the car I've never once used them. Also, the new hood doesn't have cutouts for the nozzles, so it was easier just to delete the system.

I would be happy to take you for a spin when I am done.

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Interesting project. I think swapping out the seats and adding a bit more retro interior notes will pull the 'look' together a bit more, but you've certainly done a lot of hard work trimming weight. The one mod on your list that I'd question is removing the windshield washers. I use mine too often to let go of that "luxury" option.

I'd love to drive along sometime and see how your slim and svelte 993, compares with my highly optioned fatty 993. I've been contemplating a diet plan for my 993, but I don't want to lose the full-leather interior look.

Great work! Keep us posted on further developments.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say it, but you're nowhere near the 2700 pound mark, much less under it. The stuff you removed totals around 150 pounds. You may be a little under 3000 lbs. When my car was at its lightest -- including LWF, track seats, carbon hood, lots of stuff deleted, etc -- it was still over 2800. It's not easy making these cars light. Take it to some scales if you're skeptical. Also, there's no HP improvement on what you've done with the intake.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by NP993
Sorry to say it, but you're nowhere near the 2700 pound mark, much less under it. The stuff you removed totals around 150 pounds. You may be a little under 3000 lbs. When my car was at its lightest -- including LWF, track seats, carbon hood, lots of stuff deleted, etc -- it was still over 2800. It's not easy making these cars light. Take it to some scales if you're skeptical. Also, there's no HP improvement on what you've done with the intake.
I did't list everything I have removed, only the stuff I did this summer. But I also know that I took off more than 150lbs in the latest round.

I didn't claim the intake added horsepower, but I do like that it further opens up the engine space. For that matter I'm not sure the exhaust work added horsepower either, although I have seen claims here of gains from similar mods.

I will weight it when I have it corner balanced again but I will wait until the new seats are installed.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:40 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

You can weigh/corner balance now -- seats won't affect it in the slightest. They're right in the center of the car.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Jarg1
Racer

You can weigh/corner balance now -- seats won't affect it in the slightest. They're right in the center of the car.
It probably won't make much difference, but I prefer to have it done exactly with the long term setup.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

what is 'Power mirrors deleted, non power factory parts substituted'?
did you remove the entire front condenser/hvac fan system behind the fuel tank?
did you remove the heater crossover tube above the cats? that thing is about 10lbs!
the hood and decklid look like they fit well.

I've removed a similar list to yours but down to bare metal interior, no passenger seat,
680 battery, same wheels but slicks(28lbs lighter than dot tires) but add 50lb roll bar weight.
last weekend I ran the car down to fumes and rolled into impound for official weight, 2857lbs.
that is with driver so 2685lbs empty.
you might get close to 2700 once you change the stock seats, although I don't know the
weight of recaro pole position seats.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarg1
It probably won't make much difference, but I prefer to have it done exactly with the long term setup.
Have you ever corner-balanced a car? It has nothing at all to do with the total weight of a car, and everything to do with the weight on each corner and equalizing the crossweights. Because the seats are smack in the center of the car, and because both seats weigh the same, they will not affect the corner balance.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by k722070
what is 'Power mirrors deleted, non power factory parts substituted'?
did you remove the entire front condenser/hvac fan system behind the fuel tank?
did you remove the heater crossover tube above the cats? that thing is about 10lbs!
the hood and decklid look like they fit well.

I've removed a similar list to yours but down to bare metal interior, no passenger seat,
680 battery, same wheels but slicks(28lbs lighter than dot tires) but add 50lb roll bar weight.
last weekend I ran the car down to fumes and rolled into impound for official weight, 2857lbs.
that is with driver so 2685lbs empty.
you might get close to 2700 once you change the stock seats, although I don't know the
weight of recaro pole position seats.
I took out the power mirrors, used the RS parts. Mirrors are now manual adjust only. No great loss since I am the only driver.
Yes, all the A/C components are gone.
Yes, all the heater components are gone.
The duck required no trimming. The hood had to be shaved about 1mm on the back left.

I didn't list everything I have done, only the most recent changes. As I said, I estimate I am under 2700 lbs. That is without driver. I will know more certainly after I install the Pole Positions. They are 15.5 lbs each not including mounts. Aluminum mounts are about 9lbs total. I won't be installing sliders.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Have you ever corner-balanced a car? It has nothing at all to do with the total weight of a car, and everything to do with the weight on each corner and equalizing the crossweights. Because the seats are smack in the center of the car, and because both seats weigh the same, they will not affect the corner balance.
Yes i have corner balanced a car and I think I understand the concepts involved very well. I didn't say the total weight was a factor. But the seats are not literally in the center of the car, only close. I will balance the car with the final configuration in place, thank you.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Your car, your project, keep at it. Enjoy the miles and smiles.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice project. Interior is looking more 964 than 993, i dig it.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM
slapin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the intent of the project? Is it to be strictly a track day car?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by slapin
What is the intent of the project? Is it to be strictly a track day car?
The intent is to have a quicker, better handling car. I do autocross it, and may do some DEs, but mostly it is a fair weather weekend car.

Quick Reply: Summer weight reduction project