Sponsored by:

Aftermarket warranty..who to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:00 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by fbfisher
I had a full PPI done on my car. All checked out great. Turns out a PPI from a reputable shop can only tell you so much.

Six months later a freak thing happened - they think a ring broke and tore through the engine. $17,000 in repairs (basically a new engine - pistons, heads, valves, etc) that I didn't have to pay because I paid $3,000 for the extended warrantee from Western General. They have also paid to replace the steering rack that started to leak, the A/C control unit, and a few other 993 "issues" that are known to be common to the car (not the door check strap unfortunately).

I am glad I bought one. If I had listened to some of the advice above I would be a very unhappy camper.

Buy yourself some peace of mind, buy a warrantee
This is the scenario the Warranty companies use in their advertising. But as FB points out 'a freak thing happened'. Insurance is an actuarial numbers game. Premiums go into a pot and claims go out of the pot, whats left is profit. Getting insurance is a gamble, not getting insurance is a gamble, but less so as you are not paying the 'house' anything! Statistically though you are better off going through life 'self insuring' as much as possible (like a lot of corporations do) as you are not paying the insurance company to administer 'the pot'.

For 23 years I have never bought house contents insurance, saved £20000 ($32000) in premiums and never had a claimable situation. I am glad I did not buy one. If I had listened to the advice above I would be a very very unhappy camper.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing to remember is that with insurance some people will be glad they bought it and others aren't but ON AVERAGE the insurance companies will profit from you. Just like going to Vegas...just because somone won big at slots doesn't mean you should play as well. Some win, most lose, but on average the house will win.

It really depens on your risk tolerance...if you want to sleep better at night get a warranty from a reputable insurer. If the premium sound too low then there's gotta be a catch...and you probably won't find out what it is until you submit a large claim. I prefer to self-insure.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:41 AM
artemis
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really leaning towards getting it...it can get mighty costly if an engine issue arrives a few thousand miles down the road or if something would happen with the AWD on my TT. A somewhat local ( for me 100 miles ), has been using a company for 20 years and they have never had a problem submitting a claim and the warranty paying. I know I will pay more through them, but knowing that it will be hassle free at claim time, makes up for the extra $$ for the policy.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 AM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

This is not a decision for which there is one right answer. You have to make the decision for yourself based on your tolerance for risk and your assessment of the potential for a successful claim. Its wonderful to have a forum like this where so many can share their information, which helps in the decision process.

David, I guess one could say that the house "winnings" constitute the price which customers are willing to pay individually for reduced risk on the whole.

-Damon
'94 325i
'95 993

Quick Reply: Aftermarket warranty..who to go with?