Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of burning my leg on the drivers side door sill

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015 | 07:02 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Default Tired of burning my leg on the drivers side door sill

Alright, I'm tired of burning my leg on the drivers side door sill in the summer. Can I just disconnect the hose from the drivers side heat exchanger without causing any issues? The solenoid motor on the drivers side works correctly but the entire door sill gets extremely hot in the summer as it's closed and heat does not escape. No issues like this on the passenger side. I live in southern California so heat is not a big requirement even in the winter months. I figure heat only coming from the passenger side should suffice.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2015 | 07:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I can't say I've ever had this issue. Are your sills really that hot?
Old 07-26-2015 | 07:22 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Oh yea it is. You can feel quite a bit of heat emanating from the drivers side sill when driving and the seat belt is quite warm to touch if it retracts back into the door such as stopping for an errand for 10 minutes. Nothing like this on the passenger side. Also I wear shorts in the summers, so no pants to protect when my legs brushes against the sill. If I do anything more than brush the sill it will burn my leg.
Old 07-26-2015 | 08:08 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Also have never noticed this.
Old 07-26-2015 | 08:30 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

When the heat is off, the hot air is supposed to dump out of the vale next to the HE. I would check to see if that's working properly, obviously the passenger side is.

Old 07-26-2015 | 08:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Your car is broken. That is most certainly not normal. Your mixer or your CCU are not right.
Old 07-26-2015 | 08:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd also say heat is mandatory for defrost in winter.
Old 07-26-2015 | 09:28 PM
shaggyM
Track Day

Are you sure you not posting about your bike on here instead of Harley Forum by mistake?
Old 07-26-2015 | 10:29 PM
Detoxx
Racer

No faults with respect to ccu and servo's. I had the servo out and work just fine connected to the ccu as well. Is they're a way to test the dump value as mentioned previously? Also going back to the original question, is it possible to just disconnect the heat tube from the exchanger to the door sill on the drivers side without any ill affect? If so does anyone know of any instructions for this. The passenger side will still be connected to provide some heat.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2015 | 10:54 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd also say heat is mandatory for defrost in winter.
Yes, except in San Diego.
Old 07-26-2015 | 10:55 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

To disconnect the the hose from the dump valve to the interior of the car, you have to go under the car anyway, so why not check the valve while you are in there. It's just as easy to fix it right, as to Mickey Mouse it. ��
Looks like you have a pretty nice car there, very well modded, keep up the good work.

Old 07-26-2015 | 11:01 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

I live in So Cal and have never, ever, had this issue. Definitely something wrong with your car.
Old 07-26-2015 | 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Detoxx
No faults with respect to ccu and servo's. I had the servo out and work just fine connected to the ccu as well. Is they're a way to test the dump value as mentioned previously? Also going back to the original question, is it possible to just disconnect the heat tube from the exchanger to the door sill on the drivers side without any ill affect? If so does anyone know of any instructions for this. The passenger side will still be connected to provide some heat.

Thanks
Why not fix it correctly?

Originally Posted by Chris V
Yes, except in San Diego.
Yes, in San Diego. Many a Saturday morning run in some parts of the year were cause to have a defroster that worked, Even in my old modded 84, I made sure it worked.

Originally Posted by crg53
To disconnect the the hose from the dump valve to the interior of the car, you have to go under the car anyway, so why not check the valve while you are in there. It's just as easy to fix it right, as to Mickey Mouse it. ��
Looks like you have a pretty nice car there, very well modded, keep up the good work.

My thoughts, exactly. A visual check of the flapper is pretty easy.
Old 07-27-2015 | 12:38 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I'm more perplexed that there's "no" heat on passenger side/sill where oil lines run.
Old 07-27-2015 | 12:57 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by Detoxx
Alright, I'm tired of burning my leg on the drivers side door sill in the summer. Can I just disconnect the hose from the drivers side heat exchanger without causing any issues?
Thanks
Wtf?

Quick Reply: Tired of burning my leg on the drivers side door sill