HWFM East Coast: Shameful behavior, new product

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 10:47 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Cool HWFM East Coast: Shameful behavior, new product

We had a fine East Coast Gathering of Turtles at VIR this weekend - one afternoon of real rain, otherwise a nice long weekend at the track. I want to say that Skip and I upheld the finest principles of the HWFM family, but I regretfully report that there was shameful, un-terrapin-like behavior. I for one passed people - less often than I was passed, but it still happened. I will not reveal the secrets of my team mate, and will leave his guilt to gnaw upon his concience.

However, the constant exercise of our left arms giving the passing signals drove the design of a new piece of HWFM gear. I for one would like an electromechanical arm attached to my car that can give the signal - kind of like the old semaphore turn signal. With some GPS input, I think that the arm could automatically put up the right signal. This may be patentable, but I feel strongly that it should be put in the public domain so that turtles everwhere are relieved of this onerous manual labor.

Yr Hmbl & Obd't Srv't
Old 09-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Sheer genius, Ed

Not only will you save all that arm labor of pointing others by, there is another benefit to your invention.

When you have your arm out the window all the time, you can get a lot of bugs squashed in the nomex, or your long-sleeve HWFM tee-shirt. Your invention will save a fortune in dry cleaning bills.

Way to go Ed. That's the kind of quick mind in a slow driver that sets this team apart

Old 09-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, the new automatic cruise control that uses radar to detect the closing rate on vehicles ahead of you & adjusts your speed?

You could take that assembly, point it out the back, and tie it into the arm-deployment mechanism!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:20 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ed,

It was great to meet you in the non-cyber world this weekend and to discuss you great idea.

Ed and I did the big turtle pond proud with some strong recruiting (Mike - my expense report is in the mail...all expenses are tax deductable as they are business related). We would have been much more successful had our team photographer (Mark in Balt) been there to help spread the cheer.

Referring to Ed's implications (I thought we had an agreement...?), after some instruction and changes I can honestly say that I got slower this weekend in relationship to the other cars in my run group (and that's all I'm saying about that!).

Do we have a HWFMR team engineer that can start developing the automatic passing signal? It would really help me at the next event.

During Saturday, a mostly wet day, the HWFMR team saw most local drivers sitting on the sidline wishing they were slow enough to go out on the track. We were not afraid! So, kudos to the team for being slow enough to safely drive in the wet with no agricultural or vegetarian excersions.

All in all it was a successful weekend! Next year we need the help of all east coast PCar owners to get out and go to the track. My goal is to get a group of 5-8 at the events and then I will invest in a banner (reasonable Mike?).

-Skip
Old 09-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Ed - I hope to meet with you and run with you soon. Nice idea; the increased wind resistance from your device will no doubt ensure everyone's placement on the team.

Skip - Thanks for the kind words. I was certainly thinking of you guys on Saturday, wondering how much rain you were getting.

Had a fantastic time with Schattenbaum at Summit, despite a bit of rain at the end of our last day. Despite my best efforts to remain slow, I managed to drop 2 seconds off of my lap time, some of which was probably due to the cooler weather, some due to a *very* fast and superbly driven M3 that I was gunning down. It took me all of the first day to realize that the only car I hadn't seen on the track was the M3. On all of the Friday sessions, I lined up behind him so we could stay close and had a blast chasing him.

FYI, you most likely missed the thread but I gave my position as team photographer to Suwipin, who had originally been nominated but had missed the request. I am simply the entertainment director but maybe I could be the east coast shooter.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:27 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark - I didn't see that post, but as team entertainment director your absense was even more impacting. I expect you to attend next year as we start the year with a bang and grow the turtles to prominence. Be ready to sign up for all Potomac events in January (they do the lottery for the year in February and you can always cancel later)

Next year should be fun as I'll also have PSS9s so maybe I can keep up with you - against team rules, but who is telling

Talk to you later.

-Skip
Old 09-15-2003, 01:47 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was going to keep quiet, Skip, but my shame needed airing - not only did I pass people, but I didn't take notes and then go recruit! Clearly anyone slower than me is a prime candidate for membership.

Great point about the rain!

ed "Slow and steady wins the race, against anyone slower and steadier than you" devinney
Old 09-15-2003, 02:37 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed,

Thanks for the confession, I'll accept your apology! (just kidding)

Next year we will need to come up with an east coast marketing plan for the track events...dancing girls and give aways might help. Let's keep our minds open.

-Skip
Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Skip - that's cool about the PSS-9's! You'll love them. Don't cheap out and use your old swaybars; get the RS bars. I can tell a real difference when I have the shocks set stiffly and the bars are tight. It does wonders in the esses at Summit. Actually, it does wonders everwhere.

I can't recall if you are you running R compounds now or not.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark - I'm on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and really like them. With a more neutral suspension setup it will be great as I am getting a bunch of push. I am going to do the RS Sways and the Weiner hats for the rear mounting.

What ride height did you get yours set at? RS? I think that is a little too low for me as it will be driven a bunch on the street.

I was talking with another C4S owner and we both experience the negatives of the AWD model --> increased weight. We can both exit the turn from behind a C2 with the same or better exit speed, but the C2 will just pull away with the decreased weight. It was quite frustrating.

Let me know your ride height setup.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by swftiii

Next year we will need to come up with an east coast marketing plan for the track events...dancing girls and give aways might help. Let's keep our minds open.
Three words: Lap Belt Dancing.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:15 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that the same as Harness dancing?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was talking with another C4S owner and we both experience the negatives of the AWD model --> increased weight. We can both exit the turn from behind a C2 with the same or better exit speed, but the C2 will just pull away with the decreased weight. It was quite frustrating.
Just get on the gas that much earlier and he won't walk away on you. This is the big advantage the AWD car has. A 100lbs or so difference is minimal in my experience on acceleration. If the C2 is a few mph faster at track out he will pull away on you given everything else is equal, also don't underestimate the aero difference between a narrow and wide body car.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

lol guys

Lap belt dancing is great concept

Perhaps that could go on the back of the umbrfella girl tee-shirts that have been requested.

5-8 at a major race or DE is easily doable. The banner runs about $250.

Less durable ones are cheap.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:09 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that the same as Harness dancing?
Hey, I like a little restraint in the seat as much as the next guy, but that sounds kinky.

Quick Reply: HWFM East Coast: Shameful behavior, new product