Sponsored by:

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Headlight problem

I had to remove the passenger side HID headlight a few days ago to replace the ballast resistor on my oil cooler fan. After re-installing the headlight it hasn't worked. Not sure if the connector isn't aligned right or what. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:30 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is one wire with an oval plug that comes from the car (not the HID). This plug will fit in the headlight assembly one way or the other but the headlight will work only if it is plugged one way only.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by jg291446
There is one wire with an oval plug that comes from the car (not the HID). This plug will fit in the headlight assembly one way or the other but the headlight will work only if it is plugged one way only.
Thanks for the suggestion. In this case, the connector from the car is secured in a retainer, and it wasn't removed when the headlight assembly was removed, so I assumed that everything would line up properly when I re-inserted the assembly. Wish I had re-installed the headlight when the fender liner was still removed so I could try to ensure proper alignment by looking from the rear of the headlight. If all else fails, I'll have to remove the wheel and fender liner to check it out.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you tried simply removing it and re-installing? That is the first thing I'd do, and peak at both sides of the connection too.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Yes, try re-installing the headlight bucket and checking your fuses.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Yes, try re-installing the headlight bucket...
Agreed. While I haven't had this problem, others have reported the headlight plug can get misaligned.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ck-to-fix.html
Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I did re-try 3 or 4 times, even moving the plug laterally a little. The fuses also checked out ok. I'll give it another try tomorrow. I assumed that if the plug wasn't properly aligned, the headlight unit wouldn't be able to be inserted all the way in. If necessary I may have to try removing the plug from the retainer and connect it manually to the fixture. Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I just need to persevere.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Is your hid oem litronics or aftermarket? Next I would open up the headlight bucket to inspect the wire connections including the flimsy wire clip securing the bulb. May have gotten knocked lose during headlight removal.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kevin,
These guys are right on with:
1. remove, reinstall (with often fixes bad/oxidized electrical connections)
2. check alignment with connector
3. If HID installed, check all those connections and swap in the ballast from the other side to see if that fixes it.

I'd add, that to combat the first, you can spray some Electrical Contact Cleaner (formerly known as TV Tuner Cleaner when TV's had *****...) on the connectors on both sides. I've had it happen that I could "Fonzie" my right light when it went out... A nice tap on the lens would cause the connection to "self heal" and presto...light on.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by kjr914
Kevin,
These guys are right on with:
1. remove, reinstall (with often fixes bad/oxidized electrical connections)
2. check alignment with connector
3. If HID installed, check all those connections and swap in the ballast from the other side to see if that fixes it.

I'd add, that to combat the first, you can spray some Electrical Contact Cleaner (formerly known as TV Tuner Cleaner when TV's had *****...) on the connectors on both sides. I've had it happen that I could "Fonzie" my right light when it went out... A nice tap on the lens would cause the connection to "self heal" and presto...light on.
Keith: I've done most of those things. Next step is to swap ballasts to see if that is the problem. The one on the passenger side is made by OSRAM. Curious to see what brand the other one is.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

If your running factory HIDs I believe ballasts should be Bosch.

So are the high beams working? If not this likely is a connection issue. If working, this would be a ballast or igniter issue. I had an igniter issue last year and ended up swapping out the factory HID system.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:02 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Knight
If your running factory HIDs I believe ballasts should be Bosch.

So are the high beams working? If not this likely is a connection issue. If working, this would be a ballast or igniter issue. I had an igniter issue last year and ended up swapping out the factory HID system.
Thanks. Both high and low aren't working, so will continue tracking down where the connection problem is. One time yesterday I did get a short flicker from the low beam, suggesting there is an intermittent connection problem somewhere. Curious what you swapped out your factory HID with. Did you use Bosch?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I had the same problem once which drove me mad. This is what I did to fix it.

Check for gross misalignment due to a broken tab on the connector.

Try some WD40 on the orange rubber so that the connector slides in more easily.

Unhook the connector wire so that you can pull it forwards and out so that you can connect the headlight without having to slide it into the bodywork.

The last suggestion will allow you to push the connector fully home.

Best of luck

Berni
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks. Both high and low aren't working, so will continue tracking down where the connection problem is. One time yesterday I did get a short flicker from the low beam, suggesting there is an intermittent connection problem somewhere. Curious what you swapped out your factory HID with. Did you use Bosch?
Cost to replace one side would have been in the $600 range (ballast + igniter) from Porsche, you must buy as a set and cannot get them in pieces from say Bosch. I'm going to assume with 993 part prices it's most likely gone up by now.

My thought is if one side goes, you can count on the other side failing eventually too. As well, one new ballast on one side vs say a 20 year old ballast on the other, the difference in light output is noticeable too.

Ended up with an aftermarket unit called Hyperion sold locally with a warranty and substantially cheaper. And with the new setup the improvement in lighting was a huge leap forward. Most have been very happy with Tore's products, so I would strongly consider him as an option too if replacement is required.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Tore's kit

Quick Reply: Headlight problem