Sponsored by:

headlight out-- any trick to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:48 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headlight out-- any trick to fix?

This morning I noticed my passenger side headlight is out on low and high beam. The last time i drove it was at an autocross, and i removed the light to turn on the oil cooler fan(thanks EJ), so i wonder if I screwed up the light somehow, or if it is a coincidence. Is the bulb tricky to get to or expensive to replace? I do not have litronics. Hey, here is a chance to upgrade. I can tell my wife the lights need to be replaced and it's about 2 grand. Given the price of Porsche parts, it is semi believable.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:04 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the connections - head light to plug inside the fender. Its probably no aligned correctly... try reinstall it in the car.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:04 PM
KC993
Racer

Don,

I think you might just have a plug problem. Reposition the light again and make sure the plug plugs in.

As for the litronic lights, IMHO it's not worth it unless you just want to have blue lights...I did the upgrade almost 2 years ago, and given the chance I would not do it this time around, might as well spend the money on some go fast or suspension stuffs...

With this said, I don't know about some OTHER Xenon lights...they maybe different/better or just less expensive...

Just my $.02 ...
Old 05-14-2002, 04:08 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I had the exact same problem. In my case, the plug housing had been cracked, and I could not line it up to engage positively. I pulled the plug out and inserted it into the socket on the headlight bucket. I then carefully inserted the bucket making sure nothing got pinched. It's worked fine ever since.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, Guys,

A couple of things touched on here. I can't unplug my oil cooler fan harness to have the fan run on high speed by removing the passenger side headlight. The harness that appears in Robin's pictures is not behind or under the headlight unit. My car is a '98. Anybody know if the harness in the '98 cars is someplace else? I even went in through the right front wheel fender liner and can't find anything but the oil lines and the horns.

Another thing. I really thought the standard headlights were terrible until I spent some time aiming them. I found that the lights were very poorly aimed. The lights are much better now, certainly much more than marginal.

Thank you.

Richard (not C4S)
Old 05-15-2002, 08:03 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Don Magee:
<strong>This morning I noticed my passenger side headlight is out on low and high beam. The last time i drove it was at an autocross, and i removed the light to turn on the oil cooler fan(thanks EJ), so i wonder if I screwed up the light somehow, or if it is a coincidence. Is the bulb tricky to get to or expensive to replace? I do not have litronics. Hey, here is a chance to upgrade. I can tell my wife the lights need to be replaced and it's about 2 grand. Given the price of Porsche parts, it is semi believable.</strong><hr></blockquote>
If you were wrestling about in the aperture, you probably just moved the captive plug in its bracket - it is not held in position laterally, so if moved may not mate with the socket on the lamp unit. Once realigned it will be OK!

The HID upgrade from Autolamps is well worth the $600 or so, and a couple of hours - and while you're in there clean the lenses!

HTH, Cheers, Maurice
Old 05-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Went home last night and checked things out. The plug was askew. Works fine now. Thanks all!

Quick Reply: headlight out-- any trick to fix?