Targa Catalytic converter Options Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:04 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Catalytic converter Options Help

Hi Folks

Posted a few times before on here ref the Targa top and thanks for all the help. Now looking for some other help.

Basically I owned a 1996 993 Targa whilst living in Dubai. My company transferred me to Singapore last year but I couldn't take the car with me so eventually exported it back to the UK as I couldn't sell it - mad maybe - but I am sure some of you will understand.

I am still in Singapore, the car is in the UK but it has failed its MOT on emissions - no surprise but trying to find out exactly what it is fitted with. The car went straight from the factory to the Middle East and has the following options:-

Rest of the world car
M6422-63T Engine
C32 - Arab states
M150 - leaded
659 - Computer

Can anybody shed any light on what the above codes mean in terms of a catalytic convertor, lambda sensing etc, especially the C32 and M150 codes then I can try to figure out what is there and what to do next.

Thinking to fit a sports cat to it but don't want to just dive in - done that before - hurts the wallet if you get it wrong.

Here's a pic of the underside that I fortunately had if it helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2015, 03:52 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Targa Catalytic converter Options Help

My first glance at the exhaust system in the pick makes me thinks it's all stock OEM. Its hard to tell what the cats are like in a fully assembled exhaust system though. I know here in the U.S. 993s were configured to run non-leaded (I.e. Unleaded) gasoline. Since your 993 is clearly specified for leaded gas it might have a different exhaust setup. What's the gasoline standard in the UK circa mid-late 1990s? Lead or no lead? Sorry, I don't think I'm helping much, just thinking on the fly.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Off on a tangent, beside yours and mine, does anyone know of any other turquoise targas?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:22 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know what it takes to pass an MOT, but your car would not have had cats originally since it was built for leaded fuel. There was another thread not too long ago with a NZ car with the same option.

This is also discussed in the Streather book.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

FYI - found a bit more detail on this M150 option from another RL post. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Macca
95C4993. Sounds like yours is more unique than mine!

I have non SAI ROW M150 motorsports leaded fuel option. Only a handful of these. Uses no 02 sensors and shipped with "hollow cats" from factory. Built for South Africa, UAE and New Zealand in late November 1993 when NZ still was selling leaded fuel at the pump. I can adjust fuel richness mixture using closed loop using C02 Potentiometer located in right hand engine bay. Car features in Adrians book....
Old 07-17-2015, 12:39 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

spyder - thanks for the thoughts

leander - how cool is that? only 2 x tb targa's in the world, yours and mine. thats one of the reasons i bought it [apart from being a great car with such history of course] but the colour is amazing.

mpruden - i think you nailed it - built for uae with hollow cats in uae. basically the car spent all its life in lebanon then uae. I will fit a sports cat then see where we are.

Forgive my ignorance but what is Streathers book and Adrians book?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Happy to help. The book is Porsche 993 Essential Companion by Adrian Streather.

Here is the description from Amazon:
The 993 version of the 911 is sometimes described as the King of Porsche". This book chronicles the development, racing history and all ownership issues of the 993 in tremendous detail. Contains absolutely everything a 993 owner needs to know. Every model and version is included. Engines, transmissions, suspension and how to improve the performance are covered as well as the fixes for common problems, includes well over one thousand photographs, this book features incredibly in-depth information about all aspects of the Porsche 993. The essential companion for the 993 owner or would-be owner.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Default M150 option, CO2 potentiometer

Thanks Mpruden. Doubt the book will be available in Singapore but will see.

I will fit a sports cat first and see what happens.

Next question - can anyone provide info / pics of the CO2 potentiometer and location?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 2oldn2slow
Thanks Mpruden. Doubt the book will be available in Singapore but will see.

I will fit a sports cat first and see what happens.

Next question - can anyone provide info / pics of the CO2 potentiometer and location?
Macca is correct. My '96 is a M150 option too. My car is hibernating for winter (yes, snow here). There are no O2 sensors, IIRC there is a small black box right side engine bay high up. There lives the potentiometers.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Spokes

Many thanks. I am on the right track now.

Snow and New Zealand scenery and a 993 - how lucky you are, we were ia Aukland/Hamilton then drove up the coast to Coromandel a couple of years ago - amazing.

Here in Singapore it goes from 27 to 35C & mid to high humidity to tropical storms and cars are way too expensive to permit Porsche ownership.

Regards

Quick Reply: Targa Catalytic converter Options Help