Fair Market Value for '96 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair Market Value for '96 993?

Looking for input as to the fair market value of my '96 993. I have plans to offer the car for sale near the end of October in hopes of replacing it with a 993TT.

Blk/Blk
Aluminum gauges from Palo Alto Speedo
Euro Turbo Front bumper with clear lenses (Gert)
Porsche Classic 18" II's with SO'2's
RS Wing (Better Bodies)
New Wiring Harness (recall)
New Clutch, flywheel etc.
60K service done (to update all mechanicals and tune-up)
Porsche 6-Disc CD
Hi-Fi rear speaker upgrades (Gert)
Porsche Front strut tower brace (Gert)
Brushed Alum shifter and E-brake (Gert)
V1 hardwiring
Stainless front protection bar (Gert)
3- Spoke Steering Wheel with enamelled colored Porsche Crest
Motor Sound Package
No Damage, dents or dings.
Clean Title history.
Mechanical hx from pervious owner.
Not Lowered.
Solid dependable daily driver (with exception of winter)

I would rate the car a 9 out of 10.

Please feel free to provide any tips to make the car more appealing to a potential buyer. I am aware that prices/market values vary depending on the buyer's needs and desires and intended use. My estimate is $40-42K.

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2003, 08:52 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

To tell you the truth I would think 40-42 sounds a bit high. I may be wrong though. I would think high thirties is better.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

I'd have to agree with Silver 1.8T on the price but I also agree with you on price variation being dependent upon buyer preferences.

I bought my 993 about 2 months ago but spent about 6 months looking for one and it seemed like the prices for models similar to yours were under $40k.

The most attractive things to me were finding a car that was extremely well kept, not abused (of course), and owned by a knowledgeable owner who took the time to demonstrate all this to me. I was willing to pay a higher price for that. If they could show me this and it was evident in even the smallest details, that says a lot.

Also, I kind of shied away from modifications and upgrades. Of course, this is only my opinion (and to some people they are more attractive than stock), but the way I view them is like indicators that the car has been pushed a little harder. After all, what is the reason most people buy them? They want the car to perform better. Why do they want it to perform better? So they can drive it like that.

I know it's a Porsche and it's built to withstand more of this than a regular car but, it's still a machine. And, any machine that spends more of its time running at or near it's capacity, will have a shorter life expectancy. For me, shorter life expectancy meant lower value. I know my car won't perform as good as a modified one but it's really been babied (within the limits of the way the car is supposed to be driven.)

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:30 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Steve,
On autotrader in Salem ORegon there is a blk/blk 1997 Carrera for sale for $37,000. It has about 27k miles as I remember. I have my 95 blk/blk for sale for $30K. A guy who looked at mine is probably buying the 1997 for only $8000 more. Probably a good call for him.
I went to a nice concours today at Sunriver and about 30% of the cars were Porsche. Go figure. Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos, Jags, a couple of Benz, a couple of Lotus. Nice.
I'm still bummed that I missed your rear bumper, twice.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:31 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Hi Nick,

Interesting theory, but I don't believe it's that simple. Any machine has a sweet spot that it operates best and most efficiently in. While you are correct that exceeding that spot on a regular basis can cause excessive wear, I believe that staying below that spot also causes at least as many problems.

The thing about 911's is that they are designed to operate in a sweet spot that is more aggressive than many people drive, and therefore are more susceptible to problems by people who "baby" their cars. So I could, for example, say that an unmodified car may be a sign of a non-enthusiast owner who treats the car like a Lexus, and therefore operates it like one, to the detriment of the car. Can you tell mine is modded yet?

Anyway, I think a few track days a year, combined with meticulous maintenance, is the key to longevity and reliability in these cars.

BTW, I bought my car right near Boulder.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:39 AM
SteveL1
Instructor

MalibuSteve.......Do you have any photos of your car? I may be interested. You can e-mail to slafara@nies.com if you don't want to clog up the board. Thanks!

SteveL1
Still looking for that right P-Car!
Old 09-14-2003, 02:11 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexpilot,

How many miles are on your '95 and what condition is it in? $30K is still near the bottom of the 993 market, IMO.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:06 AM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

Pete,

I guess "babied" wasn't the right word to use in the same paragraph as "Porsche".

I was attracted to a car that wasn't used to it's full capacity most of the time. Of course (as you said) for a Porsche, this means some very different than it would for lower performing cars and I was also careful to stay away from the cars that seemed like they were bought just for status symbols or for use like the family sedan.

To explain further on the modifications thing... I'm sure when the engineers were designing these things, they had performance goals in mind (it will go this fast, accelerate this quickly, stop this fast, etc., etc.) So, they figure out what kind of power its going to take, what the stresses will be, etc, and then build all these parts to make a machine that will do it.

If any one part is much weaker than the others and really isn't up to handling the job that the others can, the machine will be limited by that part. So, all the parts are built to withstand each other and meet the performance goals in mind.

Now, we get the car and decide we want it to perform even better in a given area and buy the part(s) that will make it do it. But what about all the other parts that are along for the ride? They have to work a little harder... maybe at 95% capacity as opposed to whatever lower capacity they were at before.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that unless everything is taken into account, the longevity of a modified car as a whole could be compromised by making all those other unmodified parts work that much harder.

Did you drive your S back from CO? If so, I bet that was some fun, eh? Lots of cool roads out here!
Old 09-14-2003, 04:13 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,
How much do you want for your car?
Old 09-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

Phil,
Sent you a PM...
Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve, Will send pics ASAP. Thanks for your interest.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:54 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Straight Coupe
I'm sure when the engineers were designing these things, they had performance goals in mind ...

If any one part is much weaker than the others and really isn't up to handling the job that the others can, the machine will be limited by that part. So, all the parts are built to withstand each other and meet the performance goals in mind.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that unless everything is taken into account, the longevity of a modified car as a whole could be compromised by making all those other unmodified parts work that much harder.
Nick
As Pete said, it's not that simple. Your comments may have validity when applied to some mods, like adding a supercharger. However, they are inapplicable to others, such as changing a US spec suspension to a RoW M030, where the change actually conforms the car to what the engineers designed as opposed to what government regulators mandated.

While the engineering goals at Porsche may carry more weight than at some other manufacturers, conflicting accounting, marketing & regulatory considerations are not ignored.

Steve
To stay on topic, I too (regretably) think you're pricing is too high. Mid - upper 30s would be more in line. Since our cars are probably at about the same price point & in the same geographic area, 'though mine's not for sale, I'll be interested to learn what you actually get. BTW, I think some of the mods may marginally enhance marketability, but won't have much (if any) $$$ return.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all........ I have recently done price comparisons using Ebay, PCA's website, "excellence" and Panorama and found comparable cars to range from $30K to $45K depending, of course, on mileage and accessories, condition, hx, etc.

Dan, I'll let you know when I decide to sell, asking price and price realized.
As you know I've always wanted to move into a TT. Missed my chance a year ago, hopefully this time I will be more successful.

Time to prepare to the "RunOff's"
Ciao
Old 09-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

Guys,

I'm sorry to have given the impression that my feeling on mods is simply limited to what I've stated above. In fact, if you search my previous posts, you'll see that I'm interested in RS mounts... which are more or less a mod to my particular model.

I agree with you both. Those comments do only apply to certain cases... I was being careful to use words like "could" and "maybe" when I was writing so as not to exclude other cases. Depending on what we're talking about, they could be accurate or be way off.

It's all relative guys and, no, the conclusion isn't simple... I think we can all agree on that. Happy driving!
Old 09-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Malibusteve,
I think that condition is the key word in the question "how much?" I believe that $42k is a reasonable price for a car in excellent condition. However, swirl marks and chips in the paint, worn seats and tired carpet really take thier toll. Judging by the fact that you have completed the 60k service early and have a new front bumper, I'd guess that your car looks and drives pretty much like a new car.

When I was shopping for a 993, I saw plenty of them that, although they were 993s, were really just used sports cars. They were eight years old and looked it. These were generally the cars in the mid to upper thirties. But there were a couple that looked like they came out of a time capsule. These were the cars in the low fourties. There were exceptions, though.

You have to be the judge of where your car lies in the continuum. Was the bumper upgraded because of an accident, or preference? Wheels replaced because of curbrash, or because 18" wheels looks way cool?

If I were you, I'd be patient at the price you think is appropriate. I had plenty of lowball (and oddball) offers the first few weeks I advertised my 85 Carrera. If I were desperate, someone would have made a great deal. But I waited, and one afternoon a guy came by, drove it and bought it at the price I was asking. Just like that.

Patience pays. And so does an ad in Autotrader Online. I recieved more genuine inquiries in the first two days on Autotrader, than on the first month on PCA Mart and Rennlist. Selling on Rennlist is preaching to the converted, I think.

Isn't there a saying that all 911SC's cost $25k, whether you buy them for $10k or you buy them for $20k? I'd bet the same is true for 993s, but with a different price tag...

Last edited by Derrick B.; 09-14-2003 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Fair Market Value for '96 993?