Sponsored by:

Flashing immobilizer light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Flashing immobilizer light

So I was driving back from work this morning and looked down and realized the immobilizer light was flashing. Drove home, shut the car off, took the key out of the ignition and restarted the car fine. No more flashing light. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you notice any difficulty in starting the car on the trip where you noticed the flashing light? What is the age and condition of your battery?

I have seen a flashing immobilizer light before on occasions when I've been having problems with the electrical / charging system and I don't get a good, solid start. As you described, the light doesn't flash again once the car is turned off and re-started.

My guess is this is the result of a low-voltage condition at the alarm control module on startup.

This in and of itself shouldn't be an issue, but you may want to look around as to possible issues with your battery / charging system.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:46 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Happened when I went a couple weeks without driving. Also noticed a slow start due to low battery. Now that I am driving almost daily, no re-occurrence.

Tip? Check your battery.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me once or twice, too. Each time it was a real funny start up where the engine just barely caught and chugged for a half second and then smoothed out fine. Restarted and light went out as normal. Not worried about it, has not happened in a long time, but clearly remember it.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:02 PM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car's remote control is with low batteries.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Roche993
Happened to me once or twice, too. Each time it was a real funny start up where the engine just barely caught and chugged for a half second and then smoothed out fine. Restarted and light went out as normal. Not worried about it, has not happened in a long time, but clearly remember it.
I've also had this happen, I just stopped, restarted and all is good, hasn't happened in about 2 years. Happened maybe twice or three times at most were in my 8 years of ownership.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It has happened twice with me. No idea why.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Flashing Immobilizer lights generally mean two things:

1) Low battery voltages (not remote). If your battery is over 4 years old, its suspect. Further, bad battery grounds or an alternator/VR problem will also cause voltage fluctuations.

2) No communication between Immobilizer control unit & DME. This can also mean the Immobilizer control unit has a fault.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

When I went to start the cab this morning it would turn over but not start. I noticed that the Immobilizer light on the clock was flashing. I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger for six hours and still a flashing immobilizer light and it wouldn't start. For the heck of it I installed my spare DME relay and the car fired up. So, if anyone ever finds this thread while searching "Flashing Immobilizer Light", check your DME relay too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck W.:
pp000830 (12-05-2020), tstafford (12-05-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:59 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
When I went to start the cab this morning it would turn over but not start. I noticed that the Immobilizer light on the clock was flashing. I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger for six hours and still a flashing immobilizer light and it wouldn't start. For the heck of it I installed my spare DME relay and the car fired up. So, if anyone ever finds this thread while searching "Flashing Immobilizer Light", check your DME relay too.
Hmmm. I always thought that if the DME was bad, car would crank but not start (cutting fuel) but if the immobilizer was the culprit, it wouldn't even crank. The above seems to be contrary to that. Could your DME relay be coincidental?

-Scott

Quick Reply: Flashing immobilizer light