Sponsored by:

Where do you buy brake parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarg1
Thanks everyone for the input. I've used Pelican quite a bit for convenience, but usually find them to be more expense, and so use Sunset for bigger ticket items, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a better alternative. I wasn't planning on replacing the dampers. I was looking at OEM to reduce the possibility of squeal, but the reduced dust on the ceramics is compelling. Anyone else using them?
See my post above.

Chuck
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to omit the dampers. I've read that they aren't really necessary.

I don't need track pads.

Originally Posted by NYC993
Would you re-glue dumpers/spyders to new pads? Or you mean just tossing them?

Aftermarket pads may help with dust, but they may squeal, the bite might not be the same etc. From what I read, oe pads is the way to go, unless you need track pads.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The sensors are not needed. Just tie them up outta the way. Unless, you're one of those that wait for the idiot light, which I doubt is the case.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Great idea, thanks. Can they be removed entirely?

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The sensors are not needed. Just tie them up outta the way. Unless, you're one of those that wait for the idiot light, which I doubt is the case.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:01 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I don't recommend Sonnen. Use Sunset. Always a great experience with them.
Can't say that for Sonnen.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sonnen is usually cheaper than Sunset by a few bucks, but make sure to get your quote with shipping included, as that can be a significant amount with heavy parts like brakes.
Sonnen and Sunset are usually pretty close but I like Sonnen's online pricing, I hate having to phone or email and wait for response from Sunset.

That, and Sunset will only ship by UPS, who charge utterly ridiculous customs broker fees coming into Canada. Sonnen does fedex which is very reasonable.

Someone also mentioned rockauto, who often have the best prices by far, from reputable manufacturers like stoptech, bosch etc. But make sure it's the right part for the application, I found it was tricky making sure I selected the right diameters for anti-squeal spiders and caliper rebuild kits - their application guides for the C4 weren't always accurate.

Last edited by bcameron59; 06-11-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarg1
Great idea, thanks. Can they be removed entirely?
Yes, the brake sensors can be completely removed, but you probably want to seal off the connectors so they don't corrode (in case this is important to a potential future buyer). You could do this by snipping off the existing sensor wires right at the connector, but leave the connectors connected.

Re: the squeal plates & spiders, I took mine off a couple of brake pad changes ago and there ensued a great deal of squealing. They went back on and mostly eliminated it. YMMV, the only way to find out is to try it.

Pain in the butt to re-use the spiders though, so if it won't break the budget you might want to buy new.

Last edited by bcameron59; 06-16-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Sonnen and Sunset are usually pretty close but I like Sonnen's online pricing, I hate having to phone or email and wait for response from Sunset.

That, and Sunset will only ship by UPS, who charge utterly ridiculous customs broker fees coming into Canada. Sonnen does fedex which is very reasonable.

Someone also mentioned rockauto, who often have the best prices by far, from reputable manufacturers like stoptech, bosch etc. But make sure it's the right part for the application, I found it was tricky making sure I selected the right diameters for anti-squeal spiders and caliper rebuild kits - their application guides for the C4 weren't always accurate.
Sunset has a parts website now and they match prices:

porschepartshub.com
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

There's good info from respected wrenches here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sche-pads.html

For a little background... I've used about 20-25 different pad kinds in the last 15 years and have some comparison base. But... for a 993 I use genuine Porsche pads, which happened to be made by Textar. Yes, they are dusty. But 993 has an excellent braking system and OE Textars seem to work really well in it. Oddly, the previous experiences with 4 different BMWs and a VW Corrado lead me to a similar conclusion - I use more expensive and dirty genuine OEM pads.

PS. Of the ones I've tried and can remember - PBR/Axxis Deluxe, MetalMaster, Ultimate Hawk HPS, Hawk HP+ (currently use on autocross car), Mintex Red Box, Carbotech AX6 and Kellated Metallics, Jurids Pagids Textars etc.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Sunset has a parts website now and they match prices:

porschepartshub.com
Thanks, that's good to know, it was under construction for ages and I gave up checking months ago.

I just checked a couple of items ie visor clip and cap for door trim (911 555 422 00 01C), both $3.25 at sonnen are $3.39 at sunset. Is the matching policy stated on the website, or do you have to phone to get that?

I also noticed the new sunset search engine doesn't like spaces, which is a bit annoying because all the other places I check eg rockauto, autohausaz, sonnen etc are all ok with spaces, and of course the part #s cut & paste that way from Katalog to my "parts wanted" Excel list.

Nonetheless good to have another place to check prices online and I'm sure some items will be priced better than anywhere else. Thx again
Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FIFY....

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Yes, the brake sensors can be completely removed, but you probably want to seal off the connectors so they don't corrode (in case this is important to a potential future buyer). You could do this by snipping off the existing sensor wires right at the connector, soldering the 2 wires together, covering the wire ends in heat shrink tubing, but leave the connectors connected.
I did exactly this. Works like a champ and you can put the sensors back in, simply by removing the old (now shorted) sensor connector going to the car. Sorry but I can't find a picture of what i did...
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
FIFY....

I did exactly this. Works like a champ and you can put the sensors back in, simply by removing the old (now shorted) sensor connector going to the car. Sorry but I can't find a picture of what i did...
Good catch! Forgot to mention the need to short the leads so that pretty red light doesn't appear on the dash...
Old 06-20-2015, 02:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CZ
I've been very happy with Sonnen Porsche over the years. They are usually slightly cheaper then Sunset. Both are great places to deal with.
Does Sonnen in CA. charge sales tax for out of state sales? I know Sunset does not, being located in OR. As mentioned earlier, shipping can be a significant factor in overall cost.

I have always been happy with the OEM parts provided by Sunset. They ARE a Porsche dealer, so their replacement parts are OEM; unless you are purchasing an aftermarket cosmetic type part.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Pads I go with the OE as my experience is that some aftermarket pads can have a lot of squeal.
For the rotors I most recently purchased ATL brand, for me this is probably a once in the life of the car purchase. Cosmetic quality out of the box was very good.
In my car I cut off the sensors at their pigtail and tied the wires together tucking them out of the way using a tie-wrap. I did this on my 993 and my 86 as it seems that I am taking a wheel off for one reason or another to inspect the pads at least once a year, long before the friction material is down to the plates.
I did notice that with new rotors and pads the slight pulling in my brakes was eliminated and squealing has all but disappeared.

Andy
Old 06-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Which rotors did you get? I'm going with stock rotors since I doubt I need better braking, but the slotted and double drilled ones do look cool.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Pads I go with the OE as my experience is that some aftermarket pads can have a lot of squeal.
For the rotors I most recently purchased ATL brand, for me this is probably a once in the life of the car purchase. Cosmetic quality out of the box was very good.

Andy
Old 06-20-2015, 03:12 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
Does Sonnen in CA. charge sales tax for out of state sales? I know Sunset does not, being located in OR. As mentioned earlier, shipping can be a significant factor in overall cost.

I have always been happy with the OEM parts provided by Sunset. They ARE a Porsche dealer, so their replacement parts are OEM; unless you are purchasing an aftermarket cosmetic type part.
Same deal with Sonnen. They are also a Porsche dealer, you can only get Porsche parts there. No tax on purchases with out of state shipping addresses. On my price checks, Sonnen is usually a bit cheaper but as always, check pricing esp on big ticket items.

As always, check shipping cost as it is part of your total cost. For me the deal breaker usually is, Sunset only ships UPS, which charges exorbitant customs broker fees into Canada. Sonnen uses FedEx which is much more reasonable. YMMV

Quick Reply: Where do you buy brake parts?