Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:New Clue to Brake Failure at VIR DE, HT10's Front/Stock Rear. Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 10:51 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New INFO!!!

My son forgot to tell me that he had put new Hawk HT 10's on the front and left the used stock pads on the rear. After driving the car after getting it checked out, it seems that I'm able to get the ABS to kick in very easy. Could the difference in bite of the front pads cause a major heat build-up if they are doing all the work?

Still searching for conclusive answers.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it possible that with different pads on each axle, presumably with different coefficients of friction, that the rears had faded out and the Hawks were doing all the stopping at that point, drastically increasing the heat load there?

The fact that your ABS activates earlier now would seem to indicate that the C of Fs are indeed different.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by drcollie:
<strong>VIR is not tough on brakes, especially at T1.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You're right, going from 140mph to 60mph in 200 feet or so isn't hard on brakes.

DTR
Old 07-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Kristoffer:
<strong>Steve would you use the Castrol SRF on 993s or just BMWs? My brakes still boil at times & any edge I can get helps!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Kristoffer:

I use the SRF in any car that has marginal brakes for the tasks at hand. Its not a cure: its simply a band-aid for cars that really need larger, thicker rotors and bigger calipers for the car's usage. Some Vintage race cars are not permitted to upgrade brakes so in those cases, SRF and additional cooling are the only things one can do.

All it does is raise the boiling point of the fluid about 100 deg F or so over ATE, but if the brake temperatures are too high, you'll still experience the same things.

In the case of the 993, its very expensive to install proper, effective brake cooling (RSR ducting) so installing larger brakes such as the TT ones, gives much greater thermal reserve and is a better, albeit more expensive solution.

In the case of the M3, there are some excellent Brembo brakes that can be fitted to these cars that will prevent this from happening again.

Quick Reply: OT:New Clue to Brake Failure at VIR DE, HT10's Front/Stock Rear. Problem?