Sponsored by:

new toy (not german)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 PM
mister e
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spikej
Thanks for compliments. I have an S2000 also but that has to sit outside.
The german cars do feel different though. More feedback, especially the E30 but the FD is quick, even in stock set up.
I'm considering adding an s2000 (AP2) to the collection (356,3.2,993). Have you driven it near the limit? What are your impressions relative to the 993?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mister e
I'm considering adding an s2000 (AP2) to the collection (356,3.2,993). Have you driven it near the limit? What are your impressions relative to the 993?
On my wish list as well. I think there is something special about those s2000s. Perhaps it's the 9k redline.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apologies in advance for derailing the thread. I like your garage very much!

When I was MUCH younger, I purchased a used BRG convertible V12, I think a 72, from a dealer close to my home in New Jersey. I put a deposit down on the car and arranged to finance the rest.

My father was violently opposed to my purchasing the car, but I was determined to buy it. I called my insurance company and they said "nope, won't insure it for you." I called a number of insurance companies and they all said "nope." I went back to the dealer and they told me "a sale is a sale."

I had to involve my father, who knew the manager of the dealership socially. He got me out of the sale.

I found a 72 911 T Targa, fell in love with it, my father loved it, and the insurance company insured it for a very reasonable price. Never did get a Jag, have loved our cars ever since. I think I paid 3.5k for the car. I spent huge sums on fixing rust in the 911, however.

Might be mine, no clue, but a lovely car.

Wish I had either of those cars now!

This is the review that got me looking for the T. It's a horrible review...in retrospect! But I did love the car and I didn't swap ends all that much!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 AM
spikej
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
On my wish list as well. I think there is something special about those s2000s. Perhaps it's the 9k redline.
The S2000 is a very nice car but it drives like a Honda. The limits on it are very high but Honda cars lack that road feel and the same goes for the S2000. It has electric power steering which i think contributes to this flaw. My car is an AP1 with the 9k redline and although it doesn't have the glorious Ferrari V8 sound, i love it when it screams at 9k. My car lacks traction control and with the lack of road feel, akin to driving on a simulator, I don't have the confidence to drive it hard. It feels like the rear would come around anytime and that scares me. Ironically, the 993 feels more predictible and with better feedback and road feel, it's an easier cat to drive aggressively in. The S2000 is the most difficult of the 4 cars to push to its limit while the E30 is the easiest and most forgiving when pushed hard. If you want to track the S2000, look up S2KI for lots of useful info from those who track it. Although i don't like it as much as the others, the S2000 is still a very good drivers car. It's got the best transmission of any cars and very light and nimble so it's very tossable. Top down driving is always a plus and lastly, it's built like a Honda and won't ever miss a beat.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 AM
spikej
Racer

Originally Posted by pegdrag
Apologies in advance for derailing the thread. I like your garage very much!

When I was MUCH younger, I purchased a used BRG convertible V12, I think a 72, from a dealer close to my home in New Jersey. I put a deposit down on the car and arranged to finance the rest.

My father was violently opposed to my purchasing the car, but I was determined to buy it. I called my insurance company and they said "nope, won't insure it for you." I called a number of insurance companies and they all said "nope." I went back to the dealer and they told me "a sale is a sale."

I had to involve my father, who knew the manager of the dealership socially. He got me out of the sale.

I found a 72 911 T Targa, fell in love with it, my father loved it, and the insurance company insured it for a very reasonable price. Never did get a Jag, have loved our cars ever since. I think I paid 3.5k for the car. I spent huge sums on fixing rust in the 911, however.

Might be mine, no clue, but a lovely car.

Wish I had either of those cars now!

This is the review that got me looking for the T. It's a horrible review...in retrospect! But I did love the car and I didn't swap ends all that much!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 AM
spikej
Racer

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Man am I jealous of you dudes with garages and money.
--Michael
Thanks but my collection isn't that expensive. Wouldn't mind having an exotic or two but luckily the cars i like and grew up with are old school and somewhat affordable. Like to get an NSX but that ship has sailed. 😢
Old 06-13-2015, 08:35 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes, however, the go-back machine is not worth the trip. I have a friend who purchased an amazing, show winning 427/425hp Corvette that was restored to perfect, original shape.

I'd love to own one, but it wasn't as much fun to drive as I'd hoped. Skitterish compared to modern cars. He fondles it, but doesn't drive it much.

Quick Reply: new toy (not german)