Repositioning the 'basket handle' brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repositioning the 'basket handle' brake light

I have never been overly fond of the 'basket handle' on my 1995 MY 993. So I am now considering surgically removing it all together and instead repositioning the light strip inside the rear window, just between the two loud speakers.

Has anyone done this or seen it on a Porsche? I would dearly love to obtain a clean rear profile, without opting for the roof-mounted 3rd brake light of the later model years.

Input and insightful feed-back welcomed, as always!

Reuben
Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rueben,
Gert Carnewal sells the upgrade kit. Check it out

3rd brakelight kit
Old 09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't too hard to remove; there is a nut on either side holding it in. Then as I remember there is a screw underneath it in the center that holds the light board in place. Remove it and you're on your way to a trial installation.

My concern would be reflection from the rear window back into the car whenever the light is on. Also, reduced rear view vision.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:27 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than positioning that strip inside the car, I think you'd be better off installing a 3rd brake light from a BMW or a Japanese car where the light sits flush against the glass. Much cleaner install IMHO and a good place to hide a radar detector as well.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:26 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Reuben,

I share your thoughts about the basket handle brake light but why are you trying to avoid the later flush mounted version? It looks pretty clean, imho. Anything else will reduce visibility and look messier.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:18 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I am going to remove the 'basket handle' tomorrow. Once removed, there will be two holes in the spoiler.

Where can you buy colour-matched plugs for plugging these sorts of holes? I have emailed www.bumperplugs.com but their range is very limited and might not include the right size.

Interestingly, the p-car.com DIY makes no mention of the holes: http://p-car.com/diy/aerokit/tail/tail.htm
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham,

We can do this DIY in synch - and combine our search for suitable silver plugs. In your case, you could put a flag-holder on each side - one Danish and one Union Jack? Just kidding.

Are you going to install the brake light strip inside the rear window also?

Reuben
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally posted by RL (Princeton)

Are you going to install the brake light strip inside the rear window also?
I don't think so. I will have a good look in my rear view mirror tomorrow but I don't think that I would want to obscure my vision just above the rear shelf. The '96-on high brake light conversion kit looks pretty ideal and has the advantage of being a standard item.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:04 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Update on DIY: There are two holes exposed in the spoiler now, as expected, which were for the mounting bolts of the brake housing. 8mm diameter each.

However, there is a third hole just on the inside of the right hand mounting hole, which was for the electric cable. This hole is 15mm in diameter.

Using colour coded plugs for two small symmetrical holes would look ok, but the 15mm hole has thrown a spanner in the works. I think body repair is the way to go, or a cheap replacement 96-on replacement spoiler lid.

Does anyone have a rear spoiler painted in polar silver lying around?

EDIT: I contacted bumperplugs.com with the hole sizes and they are unable to help with plugs

Last edited by graham_mitchell; 09-24-2003 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Repositioning the 'basket handle' brake light