Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for a salvage title?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Since the crash is coming, why not wait so you don't have to compromise?
What friends in PCA told the guy who bought my '73S for $20K. (He thought he had the last laugh when he sold it for ~$70K right before prices took off.)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Economics effects the price of everything. I'll buy the right car at the right price at the right time. That could happen tomorrow or a year from now. Yes prices have slowly risen over the last 14 years and that is healthy...the rapid price rise in the last three or so years is like big price moves in all markets... art, housing, gold, etc., they don't hold and there is not necessarily a crash, but a pull back. I'd agree with the current KBB estimate for MY95 993 coupe in good to better condition in a private party sale should price at $35450. Give or take a few thousand based on color and equipment. If someone paid $5k more and got the car of their dreams and they are never going to sell, then they also make a good deal. When I see someone asking $74k for a model with only 20k miles, they are dreaming. No savy collector would pay that. They might (for a very special car) pay $50k. But $74k...even for an S...sorry it is dreaming...or foolishness.

Which brings me back to salvage titles...where this began. Often if not usually a nightmare. Sometimes something interesting can turn up. Years ago a friend of mine totaled his Alfa TZ...endo'd it for quite a distance...a total wreck. But somebody bought the wreck and rebuilt it and raced in the Monterey Historics. Buying are should be a fun hunt...a theft salvage could be a great deal...the title doesn't bother me because I'm looking for a keeper. Anyway the price is whatever a willing buyer and a will seller agree upon.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

John, I think you'd have a really really hard time finding any "S" car for around $ 50K- the norm is around $ 70K. These air-cooled 911's are a completely different breed and for years, have been relatively undervalued. But with the stock market performing well and the US dollar strong against the Euro, combined with the ever diminishing inventory of air-coolers and their superb dependability, I think these prices are here to stay unless the stock and housing market correct like in 2008 again.

Price is what a buyer is willing to pay- agreed. but there are a LOT of buyers out there willing to pay for these cars. the 1999 and newer are just a different animal altogether. Salvage titles are possibly an opportunity especially if you're building a track car or have no plans to sell- but they are hard to move otherwise- good luck with your search. I hope you'll post what you find in a new thread.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:17 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I'd agree with the current KBB estimate for MY95 993 coupe in good to better condition in a private party sale should price at $35450. Give or take a few thousand based on color and equipment.
No one will sell a 1995 Porsche at $35K, unless the 993 has a salvage value.And that would be about the ceiling IMO. Even if there were a market correction, prices aren't going to drop 25-50%.

...a theft salvage could be a great deal...the title doesn't bother me because I'm looking for a keeper. Anyway the price is whatever a willing buyer and a will seller agree upon.
In terms of salvage value pre and post-accident repair, a 993 is not a Toyota Tacoma truck. The buyers are a completely different profiles and the damage typically far more extensive with a Porsche. So, the "Scarlett A" for the 993 is much more value diminishing.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

You might want to try looking north of the border as well. Exchange is certainly in your favor and most of the 993's up here are US imported vehicles so exporting them back should be easy as well. Just a thought...
Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

How about this car? He's in LA. Seems like a good dude when I spoke with him. I'm sure you can come to some compromise on a price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-manual-2.html
Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 133 Posts

^^^^^ This.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911F1
How about this car? He's in LA. Seems like a good dude when I spoke with him. I'm sure you can come to some compromise on a price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-manual-2.html
A very very very nice car. However I don't love silver and not at that price. And I hope he gets his price. And I won't use his car in a general discussion about prices.

I've initiated contact on a car I used to own...not sure exactly what condition it is in today but I'm curious. And I've found myself leaning toward Guards Red or Black. I know I will be happy with black since that is what I own. And I'll see a white car later this week. Again not my favorite color but if the mechanicals are strong...well let's see.

There are several other cars I am watching just as price barometers.

Curious how those here value the different models. I put coupes first, cabs second and targas way at the bottom.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RodKnock
No one will sell a 1995 Porsche at $35K, unless the 993 has a salvage value.And that would be about the ceiling IMO. Even if there were a market correction, prices aren't going to drop 25-50%.

In terms of salvage value pre and post-accident repair, a 993 is not a Toyota Tacoma truck. The buyers are a completely different profiles and the damage typically far more extensive with a Porsche. So, the "Scarlett A" for the 993 is much more value diminishing.
I am not suggesting that every single 993 for sale will go down in price all together over night. I am suggesting that a softer market will lower the prices of many cars.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
What friends in PCA told the guy who bought my '73S for $20K. (He thought he had the last laugh when he sold it for ~$70K right before prices took off.)
Friend of mine bought a 275 GTB 4 cam for $20k...owned it for about five years...sold it for $40k and bought a house. A few years later up at the Monterey auctions it when for two million. And a year and half later the market got soft and it was back down in the two to four hundred thousand range...and now prices are back up. Nothing is forever...the ups or the downs.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Friend of mine bought a 275 GTB 4 cam for $20k...owned it for about five years...sold it for $40k and bought a house. A few years later up at the Monterey auctions it when for two million. And a year and half later the market got soft and it was back down in the two to four hundred thousand range...and now prices are back up. Nothing is forever...the ups or the downs.
Buying on a dip is a smart move. However, the market value graph for a 50-year old Ferrari is whole lot different than a 15-20 year old Porsche.

But let's assume for a moment that there's a market correction, you're really hoping for a $60K 993 will become a $30K 993? Really?

And who's to say you won't need this cash from your future Porsche to use for other things say like food, shelter, since it will have to be another 2007-2008 market crash to get values low enough for you again.

That's your plan? Good luck.

BTW, anyone out there with a Turquoise Blue (Martime, Mexico, etc., I'm not picky) NB or S, when the market goes down 50% +/-, then PLEASE send me a PM. I have cash waiting for ya.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not think there will be much pull-back in the 993 market for good cars. But I don't think $34k salvage title cars will be around much longer.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Economics effects the price of everything. I'll buy the right car at the right price at the right time. That could happen tomorrow or a year from now. Yes prices have slowly risen over the last 14 years and that is healthy...the rapid price rise in the last three or so years is like big price moves in all markets... art, housing, gold, etc., they don't hold and there is not necessarily a crash, but a pull back. I'd agree with the current KBB estimate for MY95 993 coupe in good to better condition in a private party sale should price at $35450. Give or take a few thousand based on color and equipment. If someone paid $5k more and got the car of their dreams and they are never going to sell, then they also make a good deal. When I see someone asking $74k for a model with only 20k miles, they are dreaming. No savy collector would pay that. They might (for a very special car) pay $50k. But $74k...even for an S...sorry it is dreaming...or foolishness.
There are currently 127 non-turbo 993's on autotrader, the average price is $69k... Only 4 are less than $35k.

2 Cabs w/ 100k miles
1 Cab w/ 80k miles at $34k
The car in the OP at $34k

Your view of the market doesn't match reality.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like the market research and comps are in from mongrelcat.

As for Johns Ferrari comparison: Sure the price was hyper inflated to $2mil, but when the price "came back down", it was still 10x what your friend paid for it initially. So the car reached 100x some arbitrary value, but still didnt settle back to 1x.

The 993 market is overpriced, but just like other outdated consumables, the supply is never going to be as saturated as it is today, then the next day, blah blah blah.

Also, KBB has no idea what they are doing with low volume, collectable cars. Pick-ups, sure I'll take their word on it. NADA said my car was worth $22k last year. I respectably disagree looking at other comps.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are asking prices.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for a salvage title?