Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I crazy?.....thinking of 997 -> 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into getting a 997 or a 993. Neither car would not have been a daily driver, and I was a little torn between creature comforts, and the "last of an era" car, that is probably already a classic. What it came down to for me, is that I simply love the feedback of the 993, and I LOVE air-cooled engines. I have a cabriolet, so it does not handle as well as a coupe, but I enjoy driving with the top down, and listening to that unmistakeable sound of an air-cooled engine behind me.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
for those of you that were there, she did make sure to show me the cars that had "For Sale" signs on them....sigh.....
That's too funny. Glad she, and you, enjoyed the event.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
Hi guys........I have a question that I'd like to hear your opinions on. I've done the searches and I know that at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, but I always value opinions from those who have faced a similar decision.
I have a literally perfect condition 06 997 S Cab, triple black, full leather, sports chrono, and lots of other options. It has 41K on it, and brand new set of MPSS. I drive it about 4-5K a year, and its not a DD. The problem is that every time I see a 993, I can't help thinking that it might still be the most attractive 911 ever made, and I've read so much about the raw driving experience, air cooled oil smell, engine sound, etc., etc. In addition, they are somewhat "rare". The rising value/investment proposition is not that important to me. I have to admit that I haven't driven one yet but intend to in the coming week. I know the drive will likely be the decider, but wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar and made the switch from 997 to 993. I'm not willing to lay out the big bucks for a C2S or C4S, so I will likely be looking for more of an even trade which would mean a C2 in "good" condition with 100K plus on it. For the 993, my preference would be a coupe.
So, I'm thinking of leaving a perfectly maintained, modern driving experience to go to a 20 yr old car with more than 100K on it.
Have any of you guys or gals done this and had no regrets? I'm not worried about maintenance costs if that helps.
Pic of my 997 below.
Hi Guys..................I have made the decision............I'm enamored with the 993 and must have one! First I need to sell the 997. Hopefully I can do that within a few weeks. I'll likely be looking for a C2 coupe, mileage is less of an issue for me, maintenance and condition is more important to me. Open to any color combination............I do love Guards Red on the 993, but silver, blues, white etc are all good. I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to becoming part of the awesome 993 forum. Thanks for all of the great advice and opinions on this post.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys..................I have made the decision............I'm enamored with the 993 and must have one! First I need to sell the 997. Hopefully I can do that within a few weeks. I'll likely be looking for a C2 coupe, mileage is less of an issue for me, maintenance and condition is more important to me. Open to any color combination............I do love Guards Red on the 993, but silver, blues, white etc are all good. I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to becoming part of the awesome 993 forum. Thanks for all of the great advice and opinions on this post.
Thanks for starting this thread, as it has been helpful to me too. Keep us posted on your acquisition!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

So what happened? Is this just a snap decision, or did you drive one? Give us your impressions from the test drive. How does it compare to your current ride?

Guards Red is a really good choice -- it has really grown on me.

/

Quick Reply: Am I crazy?.....thinking of 997 -> 993