993 Forum 1995-1998

appraisal for stated value insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default appraisal for stated value insurance

I'm looking to get a stated valued policy on my 993 and the insurance company required an appraisal done on the vehicle. Do your insurance companies require the same? And what did you guys pay for appraisals?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

If your car isn't a daily driver, tried an agreed value insurer like Grundy Worldwide. No need for an appraisal, the restrictions are nominal, and you'll find the rates are quite competitive.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Grundy agreed value here. No appraisal needed. Many restrictions on the policy though.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

i'm going through this process with state farm now.

they told me they offered 'stated value' only on antique vehicles--which apply's to my 1990 being 25 years old in illinois. the vehicle also needs to be registered with the dmv as antique.

anyway, to your question: they said an appraisal would not be necessary if they agreed to the value i was requesting. i'm not sure what type of research they'll be doing so we'll see.

its with their underwriters now so i'll update when i hear back.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

I have Hagerty for both my Porsche's. They have been great. Agreed value.....Just had to send some pictures.

Ralph
Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbagger
i'm going through this process with state farm now.

they told me they offered 'stated value' only on antique vehicles--which apply's to my 1990 being 25 years old in illinois. the vehicle also needs to be registered with the dmv as antique.

anyway, to your question: they said an appraisal would not be necessary if they agreed to the value i was requesting. i'm not sure what type of research they'll be doing so we'll see.

its with their underwriters now so i'll update when i hear back.
I have had State Farm agreed value on the 1996 C4S for a few years now. Car has normal CO plates. When I first applied for the agreed policy they just had the agent look at the car. The last time I upped it to $90K they asked the agent to take pictures. The ONLY limitation I am aware of (and on the policy dec sheet) is mileage. Although the agent verbally said 2000 miles per year the policy says under 12000 miles. Under $300 every six months with max coverages.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

I also have Hagerty with agreed value. A simple list of basic questions and a few photos of my car. I previously had the same policy on my 89 3.2 (sold) and now on my 95 993. I have never filed a claim so I cannot speak to any experience regarding their level of customer service during a loss. Hopefully someone can provide some feedback for that area. RRC715
Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When I requested a major uptick for Rufus in my Stated Value insurance with State Farm, they required an independent appraisal. That cost about $500. No complaints about their claim service when the car was written off.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Hagerty.......a few years ago, I had my 1965 356sc taken down to bare metal to repaint. As with any partial restoration with a car I started to buy parts before having it painted. For example, I bought a new windshield, a complete rubber kit. Then a friend suggested I inquire if Hagerty would pay. So I called them. Explained the restoration process. They said if I had receipts for the window they would pay for it even though I had bought it 6 months earlier. Then they suggested that I probably would also need new rubber seal for the window. Even though I bought a complete kit I could find out the price for just the windshield rubber. I sent them the info.....had a check for over $700 in 2 weeks. Could not be happier..........Ralph

Last edited by rlsammax; 04-21-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spellng
Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I guess I'll be calling Hagerty or Grundy soon! Was thinking of putting it with my other dailies at AAA. They quoted me a stated value of 80k at $588 annually but I needed an appraisal.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

No appraisal should be needed. Definitely call Heacock Classic Car Insurance for a quote - they are excellent and I've been through Haggerty and Leland West and was underwhelmed.

Call Angela Burnett at Heacock. 800-678-5173 x 426
aburnett@heacock.com

You will be impressed with their service and pricing.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike. I will reach out to her.

Apparently, since I live in MA, there is a law that states I cannot get a collector guaranteed value insurance through Hagerty without have a first insured car that is at least 25 years old? Is the rep misinformed or is that true?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rrc715
I also have Hagerty with agreed value. A simple list of basic questions and a few photos of my car. I previously had the same policy on my 89 3.2 (sold) and now on my 95 993. I have never filed a claim so I cannot speak to any experience regarding their level of customer service during a loss. Hopefully someone can provide some feedback for that area. RRC715

Same here. They did not ask for photos, though. I am going to keep on top of the agreed value, considering how prices are climbing with these cars.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by hennabav

Apparently, since I live in MA, there is a law that states I cannot get a collector guaranteed value insurance through Hagerty without have a first insured car that is at least 25 years old? Is the rep misinformed or is that true?
Hennabav,

That sounds more like Hagerty's policy than a law. I have agreed value insurance with Grundy/Philadelphia Insurance here in MA, and there was no such requirement for antique status. Grundy is great with email, but not so great when you need to reach them by phone. They also have no idea how to fill out an RMV-1 form here in MA, so plan on faxing them the properly completed form with the additional information hand-marked so they can type up a proper new one. RMV hates the fact that Grundy doesn't use MA agents, and won't hesitate to reject the form if it's not properly completed by the insurer (not you).
Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by hennabav

Frankly I found I go a lot of bs from Haggerty and Leland West. If you go with Haggerty be prepared for a 5% premium increase every year - it just happens automatically and you get nothing for it. Leland West just treated me like a annoyance, especially when I wanted my car's value increased.

You will end up neing a happy Heacock customer is my bet.

Quick Reply: appraisal for stated value insurance