Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Added LED in the trunks and problems ensued.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Added LED in the trunks and problems ensued.

So, I removed the standard bulbs and added LED festoons in the front trunk and the engine compartment and problems ensued.

Both are dim, a fraction of what they should be and when I try and swap the standard bulb back in it doesn't light at all.

Maybe I blew a fuse but why am I getting some current if thats the case?

G
Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Check the fuse for the glovebox/frunk/etc light.

I have LED festoons in the same places you mentioned. I removed the fuse once (for something unrelated) and also observed that the LEDs were super dim. Using incandscents yielded no light with the fuse out.

I dont know why this is exactly the case but I theorize that the circuit may be using the incandescent filaments as a path to ground in some kind of "monitor if the bulbs are burnt out" function similar to the cruise control circuit. Others will know better than I..... But check the fuse.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Check the fuse for the glovebox/frunk/etc light.

I have LED festoons in the same places you mentioned. I removed the fuse once (for something unrelated) and also observed that the LEDs were super dim. Using incandscents yielded no light with the fuse out.

I dont know why this is exactly the case but I theorize that the circuit may be using the incandescent filaments as a path to ground in some kind of "monitor if the bulbs are burnt out" function similar to the cruise control circuit. Others will know better than I..... But check the fuse.
The 2nd paragraph is exactly what is going on here. The immobilizer is also on the same ground circuit, along with the inside lights, glovebox, engine cover light, and also the micro switches for the door.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Number 11 7.5 amp fuse replaced and all is good.

The lights barely working was the thing that made me initially think the bulbs were bad and therefore dim.

Good to know.

Thks

G

Quick Reply: Added LED in the trunks and problems ensued.