Reasonably Priced 1998 S Car on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Chuckie - awesome effort!

From what I have seen of Ebay, shoppers are usually trying to get a bargain and that means that the highest bid on a non-sold car is probably not a fair estimation of worth. Many times it is a used-car dealer trying to pick up inventory at wholesale prices. It can also be a car that didn't sell on the lot for a while.

In addition, a serious 993 buyer might have some reservations about spending top-dollar for a mint, low mileage 993 without seeing it first. When I was in the market for a 993, I did surf the auctions but would NEVER consider bidding on a car.

You might want to contact some of the buying services (Dave at European comes to mind) to see what his thoughts are regarding prices and desired moedls.

When I was looking for my car, he indicated that the number 1 requested car through Thalist was a widebody non-turbo (C4S and C2S). His thoughts were that condition, mileage and history have a HUGE impact on the 1998 models as there is a substantial buyer base for the last of the aircolled widebodies.

I've also found that Premiere's prices seem to average about 10% over fair market value when compared to actual selling prices gleaned from this forum. Conversely, Ebay tends to run a good 10% below as there is risk in buying sight-unseen.

Just my casual obsevations...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Chuckie T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DC -

I completely agree. No way I buy a car off eBay UNLESS it's a trusted source (i.e., I know the seller or the seller is highly recommended from someone in the know). I have been compiling all sorts of contacts, including recommended buying services (European is one), shops, PPI info, etc. Folks on this board are a tremendous asset in the process as well.

Due to the relative scarcity of these cars (when compared to something like a BMW 3 series), I'm trying to establish some sort of expectation framework and eBay seemed to give me easiest access to the most data points, all things considered. It only occupies 5-10 mins every few days and has already identified some interesting trends. It's also kind of an enjoyable "research project".

All in all, I'm confident I'll get a good one at some point and will squeeze every once of enjoyment out of it - with thanks to all who are involved with this board.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by robmug
what are you staring at?!!!!! hehehehe...

I have difficulty reading your posts...

-
Yep, me too Maybe it is a 964 thing - we're just easily distracted by cyberchests
Old 09-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Yep, me too Maybe it is a 964 thing - we're just easily distracted by cyberchests
What children we are... I guess that's why we bought these cars. They allow our inner child to come out.

Speaking of cyberchests, check this crazy "avatar" out - it's from the new "Princess Blade" movie.
http://www.fresonmagic.com/imagenes/metadoll_mj6.swf

Steve
Old 09-04-2003, 03:22 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I've had 4-5 993s, that I located through Ebay, put through PPIs. All the cars were in prior accidents. Ebay pricing has nothing to do with real world pricing. Also, from my experience, independant wholesalers sell "story" cars.
Jim
Old 09-04-2003, 04:21 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relatively low price may also be due to exterior/interior color combo.

It seems that white 993 are initially not that attractive to buyers esp if all they see are pics on the internet. White seems to be one of those colors that IMO looks much better in person than in pictures...I have had people comment that they were surprised that my white/blue cab looked as good as it did (most prefer it over by green cab)...it was not a color combo that they had thought would look good on a 993. Seems like silvers, blacks, yellows and reds ALWAYS look good on 993s while other colors really need to be seen in person.

My $0.02 :cheers
Old 09-04-2003, 04:42 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 96C4S
What children we are... I guess that's why we bought these cars. They allow our inner child to come out.

Speaking of cyberchests, check this crazy "avatar" out - it's from the new "Princess Blade" movie.
http://www.fresonmagic.com/imagenes/metadoll_mj6.swf

Steve
Of course we're still children! It's all about the toys!

BTW - Fantastic!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:18 AM
993Power
Instructor

This is a bit off topic, but this message is for Nota_Troll, because I cannot get ahold of him and his PM Box is full. Did you ge tmy PM about the B&B cat bypass? I sent the money order USPS NEXT DAY AIR on wednesday, just wondering if you received. I haven't got a PM from you since the 29th, thanks!

chris
Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 AM
hujikol
1st Gear

Default um, if the interior of the car is beige

then why is the carpet in the trunk grey...

Just wondering, I don't really know THAT much about these cars but I would love to own one someday. And I agree that Glacier White has to be seen in person to really be appreciated. Plus the Po-lice don't seem to find the color as offensive as, say, Cardinal Red...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's where I saw it.

Originally posted by nota_troll
Isn't this the same car that was at http://www.corvettesaustin.com/?op=autos&y=porsche
Old 09-09-2003, 11:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: um, if the interior of the car is beige

Originally posted by hujikol
then why is the carpet in the trunk grey...
My green cab came with a tan interior and had grey carpeting in the trunk; my white cab has a blue interior and also has grey in the trunk...I think it's just a standard color.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 AM
krichard
Instructor

I looked at this car about a year ago at another dealership. They recently traded it to the current dealership. This car has been just been sitting around for a long time. Sorry to say but the pcar market in general is very soft.

Quick Reply: Reasonably Priced 1998 S Car on eBay