Sponsored by:

993 stone guards

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
355dreamer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 stone guards

I'm a 993 noob with a recently acquired beautiful NB coupe. (Thanks Ryan).

Anyway, I just had the car fully detailed by a professional over the last two days. The black paint now looks like a mirror, except for the absolutely horrible cracking on the stone guards on the rear fenders.

They need to go. I have 2 questions...

1. How hard of a job is this for a DIY on a scale of 1-10 (one being adding gas and 10 being a motor rebuild). Being that mine are really cracked, I suspect they might be harder to remove.
2. Who's the best source for a good product? (I tried a forum search with no luck)

Thanks
Luke
Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 PM
355dreamer
Track Day

Here's a picture FWIW. (The flash in the dark garage really makes them look much worse than they are in the sunlight.)
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

search is your friend - numerous threads on this issue - lots of chemical and friction suggestions for removal - FD Motorsports is a source of quality replacements (no business connection, just a satisfied customer)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:04 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Some info here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ne-guards.html

Sounds like removing the old ones is the hard part, a heat gun is strongly recommended. Removal may be harder on cars that have lived in the south for a long time and some have had paint come off.

Looks like FD sells them, probably the dealers and pelican will too. They are also available at places that sell / install 3M or similar paint protection film (usually they have to order a kit). I have never had the knack with film installs so for what it would cost I'd get the seller to install them.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on FD and these can be a real PIA to remove too. The biggest concern is whether it will peel your paint, it's possible if you've had any paint work done in that area.

Don't bother buying the OEM ones (ie Pelican). The clarity on FD ones are far superior, less orange peel. I've compared both of them.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a set of FD stone guards that I never installed. Still in the tube. PM me if you want to buy them.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Removal is a pita, but installing new ones is cake. I was all worried, but I sprayed the hell out of the fender as well as both sides of the guard with a slip solution, positioned them, then used a bondo squeegee and they came out perfect. Literally took like 5 mins per side.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 355dreamer
I'm a 993 noob with a recently acquired beautiful NB coupe. (Thanks Ryan).

Anyway, I just had the car fully detailed by a professional over the last two days. The black paint now looks like a mirror, except for the absolutely horrible cracking on the stone guards on the rear fenders.

They need to go. I have 2 questions...

1. How hard of a job is this for a DIY on a scale of 1-10 (one being adding gas and 10 being a motor rebuild). Being that mine are really cracked, I suspect they might be harder to remove.
2. Who's the best source for a good product? (I tried a forum search with no luck)

Thanks
Luke
Here is my writeup on this: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ne-guards.html

I created my own file that you can take to a place like Sticker City and have them
cut the guards for you and then you can install them.

I've replaced mine about 3 times in 4 years for various reasons. It's cheap
enough you can easily replace them every couple of years if they get damaged.

-bruce
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM
355dreamer
Track Day

Man! You guys are awesome. Thank you for such detailed responses.

So I'm the time since I posted, I went into the garage with the wife's hairdryer and an old credit card and tried to start on removal.

Looks like this is gonna take awhile. In 20 minutes, I made about 3" of progress. I'll get her into the sun tomorrow and try to see if I can figure out a way to move more efficiently.

I think I'll go with the FD product. I was able to place an order inquiry online. (Odd that I couldn't just order them..)

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 355dreamer
Man! You guys are awesome. Thank you for such detailed responses.

So I'm the time since I posted, I went into the garage with the wife's hairdryer and an old credit card and tried to start on removal.

Looks like this is gonna take awhile. In 20 minutes, I made about 3" of progress. I'll get her into the sun tomorrow and try to see if I can figure out a way to move more efficiently.

I think I'll go with the FD product. I was able to place an order inquiry online. (Odd that I couldn't just order them..)

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.

Much easier with the right tools. Buy a steamer.

/
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Be extremely careful. I took mine to a professional. Even when he tried to remove them, paint came off as well. He had to paint the entire rear quarter and blend. He did a great job correcting and you cannot tell, but it quickly became a bigger job than I intended.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:49 AM
13BEEZ
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It took me 13 hours to get them all off, but I was very slow and careful not to mess up the paint. A steamer and microfiber towel worked best for me. And a big +1 on the replacements from FD.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the stone guards are definitely something that need to be marked down as a maintenance item. After a certain amount of time they become exponentially harder to take off, just like clearbra and other types of wrap products. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 AM
royc2s
Intermediate

Have a professional install Expel for the best results.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As ble2011 said inter alia -- removing the old ones, crazed like yours, is almost impossible without paint damage.

Hope you don't need to but be prepared for a quarter panel repaint, fortunately you have a black car.

Quick Reply: 993 stone guards