Sponsored by:

SAI CEL, after SAI fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default SAI CEL, after SAI fix

So I had my mechanic perform the SAI bypass valve replacement (the diverter was clogged). I also had him clean my SAI ports. However they were completely clear with no issues.

He buttoned everything back up and cleared the codes with a generic reader.
CEL cam on almost immediately. I got home and cleared it with my Durametric.
Today my wife says its back on again.

Did we miss something?

Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious how he verified that they are completely clean.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What code are you getting now? Could air pump be bad?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

OK First u said bypass Valve Replacement ?

I have a 97 Carrera so If u meant you changed the Check Valve ?

then Next to be completed in my case was a SMOKE TEST to find my Vacuum Leek

Need porsche Code Reader to be accurate on Error Code

But additionally what I did was I Replaced the TT pipe $10
Shrinks in the Cold when old aka VACUUM LINE FITTING # 993-110-573-00

Next was VACUUM UNIT Part# 993-110-462-01 ORIGINAL # O2 NEW REMANUFACTURED PART to resolve vacuum leek
TJ

Last edited by TJ993; 03-31-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: bypass ? or check Valve ?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
So I had my mechanic perform the SAI bypass valve replacement (the diverter was clogged). I also had him clean my SAI ports. However they were completely clear with no issues.

He buttoned everything back up and cleared the codes with a generic reader.
CEL cam on almost immediately. I got home and cleared it with my Durametric.
Today my wife says its back on again.

Did we miss something?

Mike
Interesting post. Not sure what parts your are referring to. There is an air pump that pumps air through a check valve into the piping that feeds both cam towers. Internal ports in the cam towers take the air to the heads where the air flows through some more internal ports and then dumps in the exhaust stream just downstream of each exhaust valve.

There is no such animal as a "diverter valve" to the best of my understanding. You will trigger a code if the O2 sensors fail to "see" the extra air in the exhaust stream on a cold start. So, you need to be a little more specific on your description of what your mechanic actually did.

And, did he actually see the air pump operate? Many of these pumps have experienced a degradation in the electrical wiring and the pumps will fail when wiring shorts occur. So, assuming that he was able to determine that your system is "open" and that he replaced the check valve.......all that is worthless if the air pump does not turn on.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Yes I meant check valve.

Is there an easy way to check air pump w/o disassembly.

I was told the check valve was clogged, but that flushing the cam tower ports were not clogged and there was adequate flow out the headers.

Thx,

Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

FWIW, a Hammer, UTD999, or PST2 Porsche tester can instruct the computer to run the SAI pump on a 993 to confirm at least it is working.

Supposedly the PST2 can also monitor the O2 sensors at the same time to verify they sense the blast of air. Should be able to ask your mechanic to at least run the pump.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

So I had my mechanic perform the SAI bypass valve replacement (the diverter was clogged). I also had him clean my SAI ports. However they were completely clear with no issues. He buttoned everything back up and cleared the codes with a generic reader. CEL cam on almost immediately. I got home and cleared it with my Durametric. Today my wife says its back on again. Did we miss something? Mike
Check this thread and see if the little vacuum hose came off: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...410-codes.html

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by mpruden
FWIW, a Hammer, UTD999, or PST2 Porsche tester can instruct the computer to run the SAI pump on a 993 to confirm at least it is working.

Supposedly the PST2 can also monitor the O2 sensors at the same time to verify they sense the blast of air. Should be able to ask your mechanic to at least run the pump.
Thanks for all the help guys -- I've got just about every model of P-car -- so I know enough to be dangerous, but also get confused at times.

With My Durametric I saw 80 and 208 codes, SAI 1-3, SAI 4-6.

I could also turn on the Air Pump and I could hear it. Unfortunately, the engine was warm and upon start up and there was a coolant fan on prior to turn over, so I couldn't tell if the Air pump engaged at startup.

Not sure how long the SAI should be dumping air into the system to observe the O2 values. I can observe them -- one pair was solid, the other moved around (don't remember if it was the pre / post cat O2s). Both sides behaved relatively the same -- occasionally oscillating out of sync, sometimes in sync.

I was able to turn off the CEL, and restart several times without it kicking back on.

I need to check the thread about the loose vacuum line.

Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I also had him clean my SAI ports. However they were completely clear with no issues.
Curious as to what was used to "flush" the SAI ports if they were not clogged? If something such as Techron, this can be detrimental to the cat. Not sure how you flush what is not clogged?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM
TJ993
Banned

Default CODES 80 AND 208

LAST Year my ca, A 97 Carrerar showed CODES 80 / 208 USING a PIWIS” TESTER

If your Durametric is Efficient and not saying it is or is Not but I had a P car Mechanic using the PIWIS Tester show me the Readings - in other words show me the code reader results and they were 80- and 208.

In my case, on my 97 Carrera my SAI Exhaust Ports were definitely clogged.

I did do a few Posts with Pics during and after my repairAugust 21, 2014

Very interesting you are being told your motor is not clogged Hmmm?

PS I like your mechanical ability assessment description LOL Sounds Very Similar

I was able to Repair my car on Jack Stands <> Dangerous<> with the help of our friends here on Rennlist. Thanks Again Guys!!

Sounds to me like some MORE Pre-liminary Testing is Required to Narrow Down the real issue here.

Have I missed something when you said "Coolant Fan" I assume Blower - if this is a Varioram 993 - that is Normal.
On Cold start she runs approx 2:15 minutes

Additionally, if the Pump runs all the time, its likely there may be other issues , such as Vacuum Leeks which may be the issue rather than the Ports.
Best to rule out the small stuff before dropping the exhaust and Inspecting the Ports.

TJ

Thanks for all the help guys -- I've got just about every model of P-car -- so I know enough to be dangerous, but also get confused at times.

With My Durametric I saw 80 and 208 codes, SAI 1-3, SAI 4-6.

I could also turn on the Air Pump and I could hear it. Unfortunately, the engine was warm and upon start up and there was a coolant fan on prior to turn over, so I couldn't tell if the Air pump engaged at startup.

Not sure how long the SAI should be dumping air into the system to observe the O2 values. I can observe them -- one pair was solid, the other moved around (don't remember if it was the pre / post cat O2s). Both sides behaved relatively the same -- occasionally oscillating out of sync, sometimes in sync.

I was able to turn off the CEL, and restart several times without it kicking back on.

I need to check the thread about the loose vacuum line.

Mike

Last edited by TJ993; 04-01-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: CoolaNT fAN ?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM
TJ993
Banned

COUPLE OF THE USUAL SUSPECTS - PICS
Attached Images     

Last edited by TJ993; 04-01-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: ADD PICS
Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Wires to the pump have a known heat related deterioration issue that can cause the pump to throw a code. I am not sure, but I believe if one removed the air cleaner box they can inspect the wire. If they are bad they can be replaced with high temperature silicone insulated wires similar to the wire used to connect the oxygen sensors.

Can someone chime in as to if the wires can be seen with the air filter housing removed?

Andy
Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by TJ993
LAST Year my ca, A 97 Carrerar showed CODES 80 / 208 USING a PIWIS” TESTER

If your Durametric is Efficient and not saying it is or is Not but I had a P car Mechanic using the PIWIS Tester show me the Readings - in other words show me the code reader results and they were 80- and 208.

In my case, on my 97 Carrera my SAI Exhaust Ports were definitely clogged.

I did do a few Posts with Pics during and after my repairAugust 21, 2014

Very interesting you are being told your motor is not clogged Hmmm?

PS I like your mechanical ability assessment description LOL Sounds Very Similar

I was able to Repair my car on Jack Stands <> Dangerous<> with the help of our friends here on Rennlist. Thanks Again Guys!!

Sounds to me like some MORE Pre-liminary Testing is Required to Narrow Down the real issue here.

Have I missed something when you said "Coolant Fan" I assume Blower - if this is a Varioram 993 - that is Normal.
On Cold start she runs approx 2:15 minutes

Additionally, if the Pump runs all the time, its likely there may be other issues , such as Vacuum Leeks which may be the issue rather than the Ports.
Best to rule out the small stuff before dropping the exhaust and Inspecting the Ports.

TJ
Well I already had my mech pull the exhaust and replace the check valve, run "something" down the check valve and check the ports down to the headers which were said to be clear. I can try to ask some more questions, but I may already have all the info I'm going to get :-)

I will check the vacuum lines -- while the idle doesn't seem off -- it sounds off to me at the moment. This is the wife's car -- so I'm not as in touch with what "normal" is on this compared to 'my' P-cars :-)

Mike
Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Had s chance to look things over

Found a critter had made a nice nest under the intake system.

Cleaned it out and found a vacuum line had been pulled off. Not sure if the critter did it, or I did while fishing the nest out.

Pita to get enough room to reattach and I'm not 100% sure it's on for good. There is s 4 way connector under drives side.

Have to see if the cel stays away.

Mike

Last edited by txhokie4life; 04-04-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: SAI CEL, after SAI fix