Sponsored by:

RSR vs. B&B

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 10:03 PM
gohno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis :
I found no mention on the site of either RSR or Robin Sun. It is a disservice to RSR/Robin to presume that he is THE target of the assault or that the "top 10 reasons" might be applicable to RSR.
Come on Dan. We can all read through the lines. I have NEVER seen another posting for anyone else that offers the service that Robin does, and the bottom line is that Robin has a market footprint, very positive buzz (I would guess 100% referenceability), and is therefore a competitor for Joe. I know I had the exact same reaction as "Temple" did when I previously looked at the Fabspeed web site. I agree that there is no direct mention to RSR, but I also would bet money that doing so would have caused this topic to "flame" up long ago.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by H20NOO:
[QB]Bill,

"My 993 has a nice growl with no resonance other than an acceptable droning at about 2500 RPM."

My car came with the B&Bs. The former owner swaped out the Motorsound Mufflers for the B&B TriFlows. I found that the B&Bs resonated at about 2900 RPM….it was OK for a while but I got tired of the drone.

I called B&B and told them my situation. They told me that the latest edition of B&Bs did not resonate, and for me to send my mufflers over and they take care of me. They took care of me? I got a call from B&B and they said the mufflers were two different models (They looked the same to me) and told me, sorry chump, you are on your own. At this point the RSRs were already on my car so I sold my B&Bs to a chap who wanted them.

I had heard so much about Robin’s RSR mufflers that I had to get a pair. What a difference. There was no resonance at any RPM range with the RSRs and the in-cabin noise was reduced a bit, so conversation became a definite possibility. I rather listen to the car than talk, any day. Besides, what’s to say that hasn’t already been said?

I have had the RSRs for about 16 months…they actually sound a little better now, IMHO, of course.

I know two (2) people with Joe Fab’s mufflers…they like them. The best deal…listen to a car with the RSRs, or any other mufflers you may wish to purchase. I am certain there is at least one (1) 993 in most major geographical areas where you can find a RSR equipped car. I’ll volunteer for San Diego and Orange County in SoCal.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Temple, Silver Bullet guys a couple of things you and others should know. Please reread the post closely.

1st I took no shot at Robin SUn. If anything I should cry foul cause I was flamed.

FYI: there are 5 people out there modifying 993 mufflers by cutting out the little restrictor diffussor plate and other things with varying results in quality and technique. You may be RSR devotees but I didnot attack Robin Sun nor do I nor does Fabspeed deserved to be attacked.

The facts are that there are many untrained people casually cutting & welding 993 mufflers with mild steel wire (not stainless even Robin used mild carbon steel MIG for awhile at the Local Midas/Meineke I forgot where he told me), people are removing various internal 993 components and packing (no standard procedure or endurance testing), people are removing too little or too much sound absorption packing material (sometimes 993 is then slightly louder or way too loud), and some people dont bother or understand the necessity of reinforcing/restrengthening the internal part of the muffler case ( they just weld them back up). Lastly, what happens when & if some guys that dont have insurance and the muffler splits and you have an 911 engine fire you are on your own.
Bill Verburg & many other will tell you cracked split mufflers are commonplace on rear engined Porcshes especially at the track or when driven hard and fires and melted bumpers are commonplace. This is 100% factual data. I have seen this over 30 times over the years 993s, 993TT, 964s RS Americas etc.

#3 as far as critiquing B&B 993 mufflers, Porsche 993 mufflers and Fabspeed Maxflo 993 mufflers are concerned. I posted pictures of all of these types of mufflers so Porsche enthusiasts can make informed decisions for their cars and needs.

What you guys are referring to my "EXPOSED MUFFLERS" icon pictures under muffler exposed section of my website. Just because mufflers are welded up and shiny doesnt let you know what going on inside. Fabspeed cut open the B&B and factory Porcshe 993/996 mufflers for all us car lovers, and Porsche fanatics. Pictures dont lie and cannot be miscontrued.
993 MUFFLER PHOTOS untouched>
The B&B mufflers pictured lost 12HP at the rear wheels. The 993 stock mufflers use miniscule 2.0" primary pipes that therefore limit maximum flow and retrict horsepower just like when they put restrictors on engine airintake systems on GT3Rs or BMW M3GTRs. Size of exhaust pipe defines flow ultimate power and sound. ONCE AGAIN-- No mention of Robin or RSR.
FYI> Fabspeed uses 100% T304SS 2.125" mandrel bent pipe for the inlet & outlet section and a 2.5" "U" shaped internal pipe for much reduced backpressure and a solid power gain without being too loud. Our Maxflo systems are slightly louder and smoother than the RSR and several other modified 993 mufflers I have heard. Choices for everyone!

Lastly- HELLO Bill Verburg happy holidays you rascal! Thanks for sharing out how to make a MP3...i have to go get one now. Your exhaust sounds are very cool but they will not help 993 owners know what a Fabspeed 993 Maxflo exhaust sounds like. It will confuse them.

FYI- Bill Verburg is from New York has an awesome fast custom 1980s lightweight Carrera coupe in which he shoehorned in a big latemodel 1993 C2 964 3.6Liter hottrodded engine into it. Its his trackcar and "ocassional street warrior" he runs B&B headers with no cats and a Fabspeed Motorsport dual inlet dual outlet headermuffler. B&B does fine header work and other stuff. Fabspeed supplied the a new muffler and tips so he would never ever have to replace his cracked and broken B&B mufflers ever again like so many people do all season long. Thats fact.

But for all you 993 owners..... Bills car doesnt sound like any 993 unless you put on catbypass pipes, Fabspeed mufflers and a CUP airbox coverlid and then try to chase him.....where you find him runnin' fast at Watkins Glen International!

The only shot I took was rightfully so @ HZ or Herschel Zelcher. I havent had a returned phone call and there his name POPS up as new with 4 posts the other day dispensing advice. hey Herschel send me a certified check for $1995 made out to Fabspeed today.
READY FOR THE FACTS-- here a beauty for you tell me how you would guys feel if you were Fabspeed or my customer>

I sent Herschel Zelcher at Cargraphic USA a British customers 996 DME for a routine remapping last spring 2001. He never returned the brain to me or my customer or followed up after repeated urgent phone calls, faxes, letters and after 3 months of this B.S. (Hershy told me allkinds of crazy excuses intially mild he couldnt finish it inhouse @ Cargraphic USA to its done BUT then was lost in customs in the United Kingdon then HZ backtracked and said FEDX lost it but he couldnt give a tracking#.
THIS GETS WORSE>

Bottomline and net result was that my customers car was down for over 12 consequtive weeks and my customer couldnt drive his new 996 (lowered, 18" wheels, Fabspeed 996 exhaust, BMC F1, 996 Aerokit) to LeMans his missed a dream trip and caravanning down & car corralling at LeMans with his local Porcshe club and the Porcshe masses at the 24hours du Mans. This is fact and HZ knows it. He could have just returned the 996DME or told me he sold it or lost it or whatever.....without information not even GOD can solve a problem.

Ultimately, my customer missed his trip and I had to buy replacement DME so he could once again drive his car! If Hershel@ cargraphic USA had called us back and hadnt lied about FEDX or Lost in UK customs (my British customer contacted & actually visited their facilities- he & I called Hershy on this and THATs WHEN he stopped returing any phonecalls. Too late for LeMans.

Thats outrageous and thats FACT so when Herschels finally showed up in is "rennsport only on the internet" I pounced your dammed right. Anyone can put up a webpage and get on email boards-caveat emptor. If you need Cargraphic parts there are 3 vendors in the USA in Excellence with stock too!

Conclusion: I took no shot at anyone and only try to make reliable informative posts with humor and mention an occassional new Fabspeed Motorsport service or new product release. So enjoy your Porsche and be happy regardless of who makes your favorite mufflers or accessories.

nullHerschel @ Cargraphic USA send Fabspeed Motorsport the $1995 for the 996 DME.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, you're breaking your posts up into separate paragraphs these days! Much more readable, I actually read your whole post this time. You ARE toning things down a bit, you must be getting old.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

sorry for long past message- a couple more points and some past backround history for clarity!

Robin I think uses SS now to weld and is a fine Porcshe enthusiastic owner like all of you here. We didnt just buy these cars "just to be seen in a Porcshe like some macho knucklehead"-- we are into the styling, feel, power, handling, racehistory, engineering, and best of all for me & you are ractrack weekend experiences and car club friendships that have resulted from all this.

In the past Robin and I have talked about all kinds of stuff and collaborated on several projects together. He used to actually exclusively featured Fabspeed and Joe Fabiani 993 exhaust on his PCAR website. I discounted to him heavily for the exposure. He had bought and traded several of my early 993 systems..... sure we have had few flamefests. Everythings fine. If youre a RSR devotee thats cool but dont Taliban me. If you can Get the religious police out to get my $1995.
Have a great weekend.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Robert H you used to always "straf" me in the past or maybe I am getting paranoid, pavlovian & old too!

I am 41years old with a wife, 2year Joe JR and 4 yearold girl. I am definetely getting better and wiser.....perhaps moderately wiser. Have a happy New Jahre!

Joe Fabiani
1995 993RSCS speedwhite #33
Ford Expedition Laser Red SVT
MB CLK 430Cabriolet Silver Bluetop wife bella machinna
Eagle Talon 1990 airportcar trainstationcar
Old 01-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Although Joe & I have had our differences in the past, I want to thank him for correcting some posts of others and eliminating any misplaced thoughts that the Fabspeed website was, in any way, demeaning my products or even suggesting anything negative about my muffler conversions. I have always stood behind my work and have relied upon the good words of satisfied RSR owners to tell my story. I am pleased that Joe has publicly confirmed that it's NOT RSR/me to which the "top 10 reasons" are directed. Joe, thanks for
your honesty on this subject.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, thanks for taking the time to explain that your mufflers exposed section is not an assault on Robin's mufflers. Given how many of us immediately thought it was, it would be a nice gesture to clarify on that webpage that your comments do not address the RSR muffler that Robin makes.

Also, I did not mean to imply that your Fabspeed mufflers are of questionable quality. I have no doubt that they are great. I've seen many people write glowing reviews of them. My understanding is that they are basically louder than the RSRs.

Obviously, we differ in our tastes in marketing techniques -- but I do share in your enthusiasm for porsche, and I do appreciate seeing the "guts" of the various mufflers. Thanks for the photos on your site.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:05 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Temple:

Joe, thanks for taking the time to explain that your mufflers exposed section is not an assault on Robin's mufflers. Given how many of us immediately thought it was, it would be a nice gesture to clarify on that webpage that your comments do not address the RSR muffler that Robin makes.
I think that's a Great idea.

How about it, Joe?

Quick Reply: RSR vs. B&B