Sponsored by:

RSR vs. B&B

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:42 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RSR vs. B&B

What's the comparison in terms of sound wise between RSR (Robin's muffler) vs. B&B.

Currently, I have the RSR. The RSR has a nice deep burble sound during idle or low RPM. I guess I'm looking for something a little bit louder but not terrorizing the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance.

Peace!
Ron
Old 01-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

The B&B has a low gurgling kind of sound to it. The sound is very nice, especially when combining the mufflers with B&B headers. But those tips are just damned ugly, IMO, compared to the Porsche ovals, or even Fabspeed's. As for the RSR's, well I'll soon be able to tell you when I receive mine. I would imagine that they have a little more definition than the Motorsound mufflers, but not as loud as a B&B. You may also grow tired of the droning sound the B&B's produce in the 2-3K RPM range. You'll then need to upgrade the stereo.

-Matt
Old 01-04-2002, 03:59 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

I have a set of motorsound mufflers that I sent to Robin for his magic touch, and I am very happy with the result. A co-worker of mine has the B&B exhaust on his 993, and it is definately much louder. I think it's going to be a matter of personal preference, whether you are looking for an improved throaty sound(RSR's) or look at me loud sound(B&B's). Just my humble opinion.
Evan
Old 01-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt in Austin - 98 Carrera S:
<STRONG>The B&B has a low gurgling kind of sound to it. The sound is very nice, especially when combining the mufflers with B&B headers. But those tips are just damned ugly, IMO, compared to the Porsche ovals, or even Fabspeed's. As for the RSR's, well I'll soon be able to tell you when I receive mine. I would imagine that they have a little more definition than the Motorsound mufflers, but not as loud as a B&B. You may also grow tired of the droning sound the B&B's produce in the 2-3K RPM range. You'll then need to upgrade the stereo.

-Matt</STRONG>

Ah, there we go Matt - you can listen to my RSR mufflers, you can give me a ride in your PSS9!
Old 01-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I unfortunately won't be able to do that until my car has a brain again. LOL. As soon as I receive my DME back from Steve, I'll know what they sound like. My RSR's should be here the early part of next week.

I'll still take ya for a spin though.

-Matt
One Brainless '98 Carrera S
Old 01-04-2002, 06:11 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running Fabspeed MaxFlo II mufflers and think they have a very nice, rumbling but not obnoxious sound.

I've not heard the B&B's but there is an interesting look inside them on the Fabspeed website:

Fabspeed website

Just click on the "Mufflers Exposed" text on the menu...

MC
Old 01-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts
For what its worth heres an MPG of one of Joes' mufflers on my 964 3.6
Fabiani Muffler 3.6
Thanks again Jack!!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Wow. I took a look at the Fabspeed site and its "muffler's exposed" section -- seems like a direct assault on Robin Sun and B&B. While I enjoyed seeing the mufflers cut open, I am a bit astonished that Fabspeed found no redeeming features to either competitive muffler-type. I have a stock muffler that I don't plan to alter, so I have no vested interest in this, but my $0.02 is to be wary of the muffler claims on the Fabspeed site.

The 993 3.6 engine is almost identical to the 3.6 of the 964 and the power bump from the previous 250 to the 270-282 of the 993 is largely attributed to Porsche fiddling with the exhaust and headers. The normally aspirated engine needs backpressure to optimize HP, so I'm surprised to see Fabspeed criticizing the small pipes in the other mufflers when that seems needed to get the most HP.

My understanding is that swapping mufflers will alter your sound, but do little (if not hurt) to your HP.

Anyway, sorry for the long post -- I was just taken aback by how much the Fabspeed site attacked B&B and Robin Sun. Statements regarding the RSR, such as "Failed mufflers all over the country," "Structural integrity inside the muffler is compromised, and will collapse internally and cause fire and melted bumpers," and calling Robin a "backyard hacker" seemed a bit undeserved and going a bit far without any real proof.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:34 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Temple,

I'm very impressed with the quality and sound of my Fabspeed MaxFlo's. I do not endorse the slamming of competitor's products in a misleading or non-constructive manner.

I've ONLY heard good things about the Robin's RSR modified mufflers and customer service on this board. I believe they are excellent quality as well. After all, they are modified OEM mufflers.

B&B's are a different story alltogether. That's why I suggested looking at the cutaway and material description.

If I had to choose between RSR's and B&B's, RSR's are the runaway winner.

MC
Old 01-04-2002, 07:43 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Bill,

My FabSpeed mufflers sound nothing like the MP3 of your 964. Your car sounded MUCH, MUCH louder and aggressive than mine. My 993 has a nice growl with no resonance other than an acceptable droning at about 2500 RPM.

The biggest difference I've noticed is the FabSpeed mufflers LOSE the raspy sound that is so characteristically Porsche.

I'll see if I can post a couple of pic's and an MP3 in the next day or 2.

MC
Old 01-04-2002, 07:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<STRONG>Temple - I agree. That type of slamming gives Fabspeed a black eye in my book.</STRONG>
But you have to give him credit for consistency - He even took a shot at Steve Weiner in a recent post.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should give the parameters of the recording;
  • input device Dell Laptop built in mic
  • placment ctr. line of car , floor level ~2ft behind bumper
  • place my garage 1 9' door open the other closed
  • engine 964 w B&B headers
  • muffler Fabiani 2 in 2 out header muffler
I will never use another B&B muffler , had 6 they all fell apart, they will stand behind their product for only a very limited time, Joe is reporting the trurth about the B&B mufflers as far as I can see(that teensy exit on the left side really teed me off when I saw it). Main cooling fan can be heard above the Fabiani muffler most of the time, it is agressive sounding.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:14 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Temple:
<STRONG>Wow. I took a look at the Fabspeed site and its "muffler's exposed" section -- seems like a direct assault on Robin Sun ... I was just taken aback by how much the Fabspeed site attacked ... Robin Sun. Statements regarding the RSR ... seemed a bit undeserved and going a bit far without any real proof. </STRONG>
I've no dog in this fight, and I am certainly no knee jerk defender of Joe Fabiani or Fabspeed, but I found no mention on the site of either RSR or Robin Sun. It is a disservice to RSR/Robin to presume that he is THE target of the assault or that the "top 10 reasons" might be applicable to RSR. Indeed, I presume just the opposite.

Fabspeed specifically named B&B and made negative competitive comparisons which I assume it can prove. Fabspeed did NOT make any negative assertions against RSR because, I also assume, it would NOT be in a position to prove their truth & would be exposed to a host of damage claims by Robin. If my assumptions are incorrect, I'm sure Joe will correct them.

Regular readers of this Board are well acquainted with Fabspeed and RSR and while sound tastes may differ, I can't recall any question that both produce high quality mufflers.

In any case, I'm quite content w/my Motorsound exhaust.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:22 PM
jec993
AutoX

I just put a set of B&B's on my 993. I like the sound a lot better than stock. I spent over two years trying to decide which mufflers to buy. Well, with some good luck with my PCA chapter, I now have B&B's... I have no idea which mufflers are better/whatever, I just know I couldn't pass up the deal I was offered.

I made some primitive before/after sound recordings which can be found here:
My B&B install

-jim
Old 01-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

What camera?, sounds good to me! I do like the sound of the B&B when new and undamaged!

Quick Reply: RSR vs. B&B