Sponsored by:

V1 Stealth Radar Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Stealth Radar Box

I'm just starting this thread to let all those who are interested know that I've got a couple of different designs going for the V1 stealth box.

One design is mounted above the rearview mirror and is covered in factory leather. It's a 2 piece design with the front oiece clipping between the windshield and the headliner. The second piece will slide onto the first clip over the front of sunroof headliner. The 2 pieces squeeze together sandwiching the detector in place between the 2 halves - no screws are used.

The second design uses a false third brake light box mounted in the rear window that holds the V1. The display and controls are then remoted up in front of the driver. I haven't figured out the mounting specifics yet for this design - I'm really trying to make it screwless. Strong velcro may be an easy fix for both designs.

Both designs can be covered in factory leather or vinyl. AKA Kustom is finishing my stereo and the custom door panels right now with some absolutely beautiful carbon fiber treatment that looks so damn sharp - so that's also an option.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Last edited by Tech-Law; 09-02-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:30 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Cool...

Personally I would favor the putting the V1 up front, near the the front windshield.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:41 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also favor mounting up front as my car is a cab. Any ballpark estimate as to cost?

Thanks for he followup!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:40 AM
sy308
Racer

Mine is mounted over the rear window deck and the remote sensor is in the space just above the shifter. This is the way I got the car. It is very difficult to find. Looks totally stock, especially if one were out of state.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:10 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by sy308
Mine is mounted over the rear window deck and the remote sensor is in the space just above the shifter. This is the way I got the car. It is very difficult to find. Looks totally stock, especially if one were out of state.
Can you post a pic?! Does the V1 have any trouble detecting radar ahead of you? I would think that at deck level part of its LOS would be blocked by the seats.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 04:48 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

*bump*

any pics or sketches?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default V1 mount

Yes ! Photos please. I am not sure the rear mount will work for hits from the front of the car, but the false 3rd brake light sounds like a great idea to disquise it. Perhaps a fake "monitor" at the top center of the windshield as a case for the V1? Photos please.
Mine is mounted above the mirror with the remote on the ledge between the wheel and the guage fascia on my 928. But Smokey can see the detector as he passes by, so I avoid states like Oklahoma completely.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:27 PM
sy308
Racer

OK, I will take photo and post. Glad to help if I can.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:13 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

Not much progress on my design. Where's the promised photo?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:24 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

SY emailed me the photo as it was too big to post. It's not the greatest of pics but it's basically a black box that sits on the rear parcel shelf...not much help for me as my car is a cab. The remote mount was also nicely done - it was in a carpeted housing sitting below the ashtray.

For coupes this is a good alternative design as it can be made to look like a 3rd brakelight...of course when the "light" doesn't light up a police officer may start thinking. I recall a M3 sometime ago that had the V1 mounted in the 3rd brakelight housing...very stealthy. I think the only major issue here is that it may not be mounted high enough and the seats may block some of the front reception. I still think the over the mirror idea is the way to go, in addition to Robin "in tach" mount of the remote display.

WRT to the box you are designing - will it work on a cab as well as a coupe? Thanks for looking into this.

btw, loved your door speaker install
Old 09-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Thanks David. The V1 stealth box will work in a cab if we go the route of a fabricated rearview mirror that houses the V1. I've been too busy lately to focus but I'll get back to it shortly.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:27 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Tech-Law

I too am interested in this above mirror mounted stealth box. Please keep me in the loop. If photos do become available do let me know.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:41 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

The higher the better. I put mine in a Visor CD Holder and I own a cabrio...unfortunately it's not a PCar. I used to live in VA where V1s were illegal and I was pulled over twice for non-speeding related offenses and neither cop notices. Once it was even beeping.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just found a company that makes a mirror that incorporates the V1 remote display into a mirror. Their website says it is for a BMW, but I just received an email back, and they make one for the 993. If you order, just order the BMW one and follow it with an email that says you want the 993 Mirror.

I plan on trying it out later this year. The price seems reasonable, $299.

APEXCONE.COM

As always, no affiliation, etc...
Old 09-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Randy:
This mirror simply incorporates the remote display, not the unit itself, which must be placed in line of sight both front and rear and that exposes it to view by Smokey and thieves. Also, the whole intent of the remote display is to hide the arrows and lights from outside view, which, at night attracts attention from other drivers and Smokey. Others will discover that you have a V1 and let you take the point while they "use" you as a decoy.
I have my remote mounted just behind my steering wheel in front of the dash guages in my 928; no one but me can see it and it is in my direct line of sight, whereas needing to look at the mirror will require taking my eyes off of the road to decipher the arrow display. I vote no thanks to this $300
repetition of what I already have.

Quick Reply: V1 Stealth Radar Box