Sponsored by:

Ticking noise at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:50 PM
tmpc2s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ticking noise at start-up

I recently purchased a '97 C2S (21,000 miles) and am experiencing a distinct ticking sound coming from the engine after starting the car but only if it has not been driven for a while (i.e. overnight). The sound disappears after driving just a couple of miles and does not come back unless the car sits again. My mechanic said this is not uncommon and nothing to be concerned with. However, as a new Rennlist member who is astounded at the wealth of knowledge displayed on this board, I'd appreciate any info or comments anyone out there might have concerning this situation. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might want to check your oil level
Old 01-01-2002, 07:18 PM
tmpc2s
Track Day

Phil...thanks for the quick response...oil level is fine, in fact, just had full service with all fluids/filters being changed. Have checked oil level every couple of days since to rule out a leak and everything is OK...
Old 01-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tmpc2s:

Your ticking does not sound normal to me, but I am no expert. I would wonder if the right viscosity oil is in the car and I would want to make sure that both oil filters were changed at the last service. Was it ticking when you purchased it? I have not done it, but I would search the archives of this board to see if this has been discussed earlier and if so, what people had to say. Good luck with your new car, by the way, and welcome to this board!

Hank
Old 01-01-2002, 07:47 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom
If the noise is a rythmic tapping which increases/decreases in frequency with rpm, it's likely a hydraulic lifter. I wouldn't worry, if it goes away when warm. You might want to do an archive search for "lifters" and/or "valve noise" to learn more from several prior threads.

Enjoy your car & welcome to the Board.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:49 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom,

I have the same thing when cold and after the car has sat for a few days. I had Mike Schatz keep the car and listen when cold - his assesment was normal lifter noises.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

This is completely normal. The hydraulic lifters will always make noise when engine is cold until full oil pressure is built-up and oil has reached them. As long as the ticking stops, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken:

Thanks for the clarification.

Hank

PS. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2002, 09:12 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Funny you should bring this up.
I was just about to buy a 1997 C2S last week and there was some conflicting info on the car after the PPI was done.
The mechanic who looked over the car said he heard a clicking noise when he started up and shut down the car.
It was his opinion that the noise was indictavie of a bad fly wheel($1200/parts)
The dealership reviewed the car a second time and said there is nothing wrong with the fly wheel and this sound is normal.
The dealership attributed the sound to being the resonance flar (plim) or possibly the motorsound package and said it was a normal sound.
I did some further research and was told by Champion Porsche that fly wheel on 993's is much better than the previous generation 911 and it was inprobable that it was a bad flywheel.
Point of the story: I am no wrench turner but the info I have gathered on a similiar noise is,
It might be the dual mass fly wheel.
It might be normal sound from the resonance flap (I think it right be renosance flap, not sure, hard to distinguish when talking to a southern accent. But I've never heard of a resonance flap and I have heard of a renosance plate!) with the Plim (no idea what a plim is.)
It might be a normal sound from the motorsound package.
Or, it might be one of the things the other guys mentioned in this post.
I am not sure, but like I said, similiar sound and this was the diagnosis buy 3 different Porsch mechanics.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:13 PM
B-Line home
Racer

TMPC2S...

Please email me, I would love to chat with you about something in private.
seth@burnpro.com

Thanks..
Old 01-01-2002, 09:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

B-Line,

Tom's ticking happens only when engine starts cold and after the car sat at least overnight. This is typical of all engines with hydraulic lifters. Now, I don't know about the dual-mass flywheel ticking but I've never heard of a ticking noise related to the motor sound package. Somehow, I think someone was imagining things when they mentioned this to you.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:51 PM
B-Line home
Racer

The didn't really say that the motorsound package was ticking..
What the dealership said was, The mechanic who I had to the PPI works on much older Porsches. The dealership seems to think that the mechanic was not familiar with the motorsound package and the noises he heard where part of the normal operation of the car.
So, I agree with you. It probably is normal and it probaly is the hydralic lifter.
I don't even know what a hydralic lifter is
I am just relaying what the dealership said to me about the noises.
Also, the other thing that occured to me was that Tom lives in Florida. And although the car might sit overnight, the weather very rarely gets so cold that you can feel the car need to warm up.
When I used to live in NY, every car needed to be warmed before driving it, otherwise they would make lots of noises from everywhere.
Down here, Jump in and go. Don't drive 10/10's for a couple minutes, but it's not like things are getting frozed at 50degree night time weather.
So cold startup doesn't really mean "cold" as in the weather. It really is more meaning, car has not been driven, get the oil up, etc.
I don't really know why they metioned the motorsound..They'll probably just say anthing to put doubts in my mind about the PPI. But, they guarantee the fly wheel is fine if I buy the car.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The didn't really say that the motorsound package was ticking
null bee, motor sound, from what i know, has nothing to do with internals!, [QUOTEI don't really know why they metioned the motorsound..They'll probably just say anthing to put doubts in my mind about the PPI. But, they guarantee the fly wheel is fine if I buy the car.] [/QUOTE]WOW, you got a guarantee!,,,sound to me like the "evil" car dealer, is trying to sell you a car?but if i were you, I would go for the life time guarantee of the car from the dealer! hold out!!!!!!*lol*
Old 01-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by B-Line home:
<STRONG>So cold startup doesn't really mean "cold" as in the weather. It really is more meaning, car has not been driven, get the oil up, etc.</STRONG>
Precisely!

<STRONG>I don't really know why they metioned the motorsound..They'll probably just say anthing to put doubts in my mind about the PPI. But, they guarantee the fly wheel is fine if I buy the car.</STRONG>
That's why I wanted to make sure and not confuse Tom with more "doubts."
Old 01-01-2002, 10:18 PM
tmpc2s
Track Day

To all who have taken the time to post a reply: Many thanks! With so many reponses in a short period of time you have already shown me what I suspected, namely that this board will prove invaluable to a "mechanically challenged" Porsche owner like myself.

Several of the responses were consistent with my mechanic's take that the sound is simply indicative of oil pressure needing to be built up in the lifters and nothing to worry about, while others have given me excellent points to follow up with him on. Thanks again and it certainly seems I can enjoy the car with a greater peace of mind!

Quick Reply: Ticking noise at start-up