Sponsored by:

Ticking noise at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 10:21 PM
Pinoysche C4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,

I have similar ticking noise in my 97 C4S. I took it to the dealer changed oil to
Mobil 1, 0-40. The ticking sound dissapear.

Regards,
Carlos www.p-car.com/porsche/carlos/
Old 01-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
B-Line:

When a dual mass flywheel in a 993 is bad you can hear a heavy clunking sound just as you turn the motor off, however, it is not a ticking sound.

Regarding Motor Sound: There are no moving parts involved. Motor Sound is a different air box cover – only - with holes drilled in it and slightly different mufflers. The package also includes special exhaust tips.

I believe the word you are trying to say is plenum rather than “PLIM.” The intake plenum is the area or box or apparatus from where the metered air is drawn into the cylinders. In the case of a 993, there are some moving parts but they are butterfly valves controlled by vacuum operated solenoids that are either open or closed. I have never heard any of them rattle nor tick.

It sounds like someone is feeding you some interesting stuff.

Hank Cohn
Old 01-01-2002, 10:47 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, there all feeding me something all right.
I know it has nothing to do with motorsound, it's just a couple holes in a airbox. But that's what they said.
Your probably right about the Plenum.. It's greek to me.
I am not suggesting that any of these problems belong to Tom.
I am just sharing that a simiar noise was heard in the C2S i'm working on and that was their explanation.
I'm really not too concerned about the noises now because the dealership is certifing the car and is backing up the fly wheel if I have any problems.
So, I have a safety net if I buy the car.
And if there are any problems, it's not out of my pocket.
Do I have a bit of concern..Yes..It's a noise and I sure don't know what it is. But I can't expect to find everything perfect and if it takes me a while to discover where the noise is coming from, so be it.. I'll still be driving a Porsche

Quick Reply: Ticking noise at start-up