Goldfish in the interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Goldfish in the interior

After some spirited driving through the Northern California monsoon season, (thanks C4S for keeping me in control), I found a little water resting in the rear footwells. Not what I would expect in the body section called the "tub".

Before I go ripping out all the carpet and slathering the back of the interior with silicon seal, has anyone any prior experience that will help me diagnose where the leakage is most likely to have come from? Plugs under the sound deadening material to be sealed, but who knows....thoughts? Advice?

Thanks
Jimmy Mc
96 C4S
Old 01-01-2002, 04:56 PM
R SQUADRON 911
Advanced

I have had this problem too. I remember when removing all the carpets and sound deadening material I found water under there. There are some plugs down there that most likely leak water. If you remove the spare in teh trunk you'll see a hole just sitting there without any plug.

I don't think it should really be a wory unless there is a huge puddle in your car.
Than again I we don't get mosoon season here.

hope this helps
Old 01-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Amazing, I just finished pulling part of my own interior because of the same problem. I had suspected it was my own fault, due to the rollbar I'd installed.

On the top of each rocker panel, by the front seat belt reel, is a opening cover by a black plastic 'flapper box' - appears to be intended to allow higher pressure cabin air to vent to the underside of the car. I had to remove this box because it interfered with the rollbar installation. (It's the DAS-sport bar) I'd thought that perhaps the flapper 'valve' was there to prevent the ingress of water.

But if at least two other people are seeing the same thing, I guess I need to look elsewhere?

Perhaps the dealers are familiar with the issue? I'd call the service dept now, but it's a holiday.

I've replaced a couple of missing plugs in the trunk before, but haven't seen any sign of similar gizmos in the rear footwells. I also shined a light into the rocker panel hole from the interior, and tried to see the light from underneath the car (while it was jacked up), but no luck.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the trunk goes, I placed a plug (actually called "rubber drain hose" 911-631-259-02) in each of the empty holes in the trunk floorboard. Cost $1.73 each (list $2.51) from Phil Anderson at Suncoast Porsche 941-923-1700.

Old 01-01-2002, 07:21 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a C4s which also had a wet interior. I needed to get the immoblizer unit which sits under the drivers seat replaced because it shorted out which of course left me stranded.

My leak was determined to come from the rear window seals which I am told have been a sore spot with the 993 series. If I am not mistaken there was a guest speaker at tech tactics 3 years ago (Paul Paterek who has a body shop and repair service business in Northern NJ) who commented on this problem. He has a fix for this!

Let us know how you make out.
Charlie

Quick Reply: Goldfish in the interior