Best seat upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 01:20 AM
D.G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best seat upgrade?

I've read the archive threads on the Ricaro SRD and sat in one for a few minutes. It fits my frame just fine, but I'm concerned about how comfortable it will be on long trips due to the minimal thigh support, side pressure from the bolsters, and lack of 'squirm' room. (Yes it does hold you in place) I'm 5'11" and 177lb. Can someone shed some light on the long term liveability of these seats? Are there any other options that I should consider?
I'm geting rid of my other car and converting my garage queen into a daily driver, and this is one of the changes that I'm going to make. Previous upgrades include H&R Coilovers, strut brace, roll bar, chip, and steering rack brace. (yes, it's a '95)
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-01-2002, 01:50 AM
D.G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention that the stock seats give me a pain in the lower back on extended drives. The countour of the seat cushon and lumbar support just don't match my anatomy. The Recaro SRD that I sat in felt like a better fit for the short time that I was in it...
Dave
Old 01-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a similar concern when I installed mine. I really liked the stock seat bottom's ability to rotate way back, so there was plenty of thigh support.

I shimmed under the front of the seat about an 1/8" with washers to contribute a bit to the same goal, hopefully w/o sacrificing a reasonably solid mounting.

I've driven the car Houston-Austin (~2 hours), Houston-College Station a bunch of times (1+ hours) without complaint; I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it's worked out.

Lucky for you, I'm almost exactly the same size: 5'11", 172#, 32" waist, 34" inseam.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts
Hi DG:

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish...is it more adjustability/better lumbar support for long commutes, or better bolstering for performance driving? (or both, naturally

I found the base 993 seats to be less than adequate in performance driving support and comfort, although the "comfort" power option gave you a lot of adjustability to seek that perfect position on longer drives.

I find the factory sport "racing" buckets to be a great compromise. Not as snug as an SRD for the track (but far better than the base seats!), but possibly more comfortable for daily use. (They have power bottoms and a manual slider and back rake adjustment). I can't say for sure, since I haven't sat in the SRD.

I just retrofitted a set in my 98, and love em. I have done several DEs in these seats in my prior 97 993, and have also driven 2-plus hours at a time in them.

Chris C. Atlanta
Old 01-01-2002, 04:04 PM
D.G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to have both better comfort and better lateral support. :-)

I usually rotate the seat bottom back for better thigh support, but then the lumbar region of the seat back doesn't conform to my back. I have the full power seats.

I took the car out for a weekend drive last summer (900+ miles of twisty roads over two days) that included one stretch of about 50 miles of brutal washboard pavement, and my lower back took over 4 weeks to recover.

The ideal seat would allow me to do that same trip without incuring back pain. The first step is to find a seat that has a better anatomical match to my frame, which the SRD appears to have.

I would definitely concider the factory sport seats, but I've heard they are hard to come by and very expensive.

D.G.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have removed both of my front seats, as well has the back seats, going this route, you save a lot of weight, and gain about 25 horse power...
Old 01-01-2002, 06:27 PM
D.G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've concidered this approach, but I would have trouble operating the foot pedals while sitting in the lotus position on the floor...

D.G.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 word D G......remote....control., eliminates all possibilty of injury, plus you get to remove the steering wheel airbag, thereby saving another ton of weight, and increseing hp by at least 15!

Quick Reply: Best seat upgrade?