Sponsored by:

Stalled out at a stop light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:40 PM
John .
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stalled out at a stop light

My drive to work is only a few miles from my garage to the office garage. Of that, it is about 2 miles of suburban streets, and 3 miles of highway. This morning I got off the freeway and came to a stop at the stop light, depressed the clutch, the tach dropped as normal, wavered a bit and then died.
This has happened once before - about a month ago, similar situation but driving home. got off the freeway, second stop light, died. Both cases were at a slight incline, after exiting freeway. No unusual driving, fast or stop and start - just straight 55-60mph.
The car is a 95 993 with 30,000 miles on it. Full service history and the 30,000 tune up was done at 28,500. She has never stalled or had any problems that I am aware of, I am the third owner. She is my daily driver.
The first time it happened, it was in the midst of a very heavy downpour of rain and did not happen again so I wrote it off to rain gremlins... this morning was damp but only misting at worst...
The shop says that if I can't reproduce the problem, they likely will only be "chasing their tails" Any help is appreciated!!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by John - 95 Carrera:
<STRONG>
The first time it happened, it was in the midst of a very heavy downpour of rain and did not happen again so I wrote it off to rain gremlins... this morning was damp but only misting at worst...</STRONG>

That sounds suspiciously like the defective engine harness problem that has been haunting the earlier production 993s.

Check out EJ's web page for detail information

Harness Warning
Old 01-01-2002, 01:43 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This happened to me as well. It took 3 trips to the Porsche dealership before they found it. Suggest you take it seriously. I shudder to think what could happen if the engine turns off in a high speed curve...

Quick Reply: Stalled out at a stop light