Sponsored by:

Auto Climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:22 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Auto Climate control?

I've assumed the the tempature setting on my 95 993 is part of an "auto climate control" feature: meaning you set the tempature and regardless of how hot or cold it is the car will add heat or cool as necessary to meet that temp. is this not the case on the 993s or is this simply more of a "manual" temp setting? the reason i ask is that it seems to take a while before the tempare hits a comfortable zone and i usually find myself cranking it to max heat on cold days until things warm up or max cool on hot days.

any insight would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:05 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been meaning to ask the exact same question. The owners handbook is pretty vague on what to expect from Climate Control.

When the A/C is on the fan speed doesn't vary in my car, should it? Could my temperature sensor be faulty?

I can get plenty of cold air by turning the fan speed up but this isn't "climate control" as I know it.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:15 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MarkC:
<STRONG>I've been meaning to ask the exact same question. The owners handbook is pretty vague on what to expect from Climate Control.

When the A/C is on the fan speed doesn't vary in my car, should it? Could my temperature sensor be faulty?

I can get plenty of cold air by turning the fan speed up but this isn't "climate control" as I know it. </STRONG>
I find pressing the max a/c button will automatically set fan speed to max and temperature to max cold and vents to max. Pressing the 'econ' a/c appears to get the a/c working but need to manually set fan speed and temp to desired levels. With a/c off (provided of course engine is not stone cold) Climate control does seem to make an effort to regulate temp (i think the sensor is the small grill on the front of the a/c controls) as evidenced by feeling air temp coming out of the centre vents after driving for a while with windows up then lowering windows (it's pretty cold over here at the moment) and the air temp out of the vents certainly goes up - I imagine as the system struggles to maintain the cabin temperature. I tend to drive with a/c off and fan off and I do find myself having to re-adjust the temperature control manually to maintain cabin temp from time to time especially when varying speed from say town driving to motorway which I think is intuitive given lack of fan use.
M
Old 12-31-2001, 07:09 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is NOT an automatic climate control as commonly found in all manner of (lesser?) cars. Our Porsche 993 "climate control" is not very sophisticated and just mixes hot/cold air in an often feeble attempt to keep cabin temp at the set level. It does not change fan speeds nor air outlets, except for the special purpose "big snowflake" & defroster switches.

I guess the engineering time that was saved was used for the design of the engine cover and exhaust heat shields.

However, the heater will begin to melt your sneakers within a 1/2 mile in freezing weather

Quick Reply: Auto Climate control?