soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

If original, no stories...$72-84K
Old 02-25-2015, 02:59 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine lid seems to have something funny going on with the emblem, making me think it's not all original and wasn't put back together quite right. But the rest of the pics look pretty clean and well sorted.

Is this an insurance auction? I'm curious about the title status.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 PM
nycarrera
Instructor

Don't know much about IAA auctions, as they are usually not open to the public. This one happens to be open to the public and states it has a clean title. Not sure what the story is but its worth checking out in person if you are close.
A
Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, the rear emblem does not look right.....
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

it's not right- they added the wrong "s" - that's from a 2S. Makes you wonder what else is wrong. You NEVER see these cars go to auction.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

Driver side exhaust tip seems to be 'pushed' inwards... It may just be the angle the picture was taken, but the engine fan looks to be in an odd position too.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried bidding on the car (had to go through a third party company) and didn't get it because my $49k bid didn't get submitted in time by the third party. The final auction sale price was $48.5k. A bit bummed I missed it by $500 but I was taking a risk on the car, and maybe I was lucky not to get it with all the unknowns. Guess I will have to take a "risk" on a higher mileage 993 for a similar price.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Yeah the tips do look pushed in... the fan looks ok I think, but how do you bid that much money with such AWESOME pictures? yikes.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Yeah the tips do look pushed in... the fan looks ok I think, but how do you bid that much money with such AWESOME pictures? yikes.

I did call and run a carfax and there is no accident reported so there was a hope for the right price it could be worth the risk. There were numerous maintenance reports from the Carfax at a local Porsche shop so it was taken care of and the last miles reported by them were just before the listed miles. The terms with the third party weren't too bad if I showed up and refused to purchase. I normally would be against such a move because it doesn't feel honorable but there was no inspection allowed on the car so that left no choice but to roll the dice and see.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

That's cool- the tips can be moved in or out about an inch with all of the fittings between the block, cats and mufflers so maybe it's nothing. One of mine is about 1/2 inch further out than the other.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.O.
I tried bidding on the car (had to go through a third party company) and didn't get it because my $49k bid didn't get submitted in time by the third party. The final auction sale price was $48.5k. A bit bummed I missed it by $500 but I was taking a risk on the car, and maybe I was lucky not to get it with all the unknowns. Guess I will have to take a "risk" on a higher mileage 993 for a similar price.
Could be a blessing in disguise that you missed this one. My gut told me something was off on the rear end. In Michigan myself-I would've offered to inspect on your behalf. Between the badges, exhaust tips and bumper cover something looks wrong. Also, you really can't tell anything from these tiny pictures. They can conceal all kinds of flaws. I would not be too bummed out...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
nycarrera
Instructor

It was underpriced for someone who could inspect it in person and be comfortable with it before bidding. Don't understand why it would be sold through this type of auction co as it would have done better elsewhere.
It was worth pointing out regardless and hopefully will be vetted.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 PM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G-MASSA
Could be a blessing in disguise that you missed this one. My gut told me something was off on the rear end. In Michigan myself-I would've offered to inspect on your behalf. Between the badges, exhaust tips and bumper cover something looks wrong. Also, you really can't tell anything from these tiny pictures. They can conceal all kinds of flaws. I would not be too bummed out...
Nope not overly bummed, it was worth a shot. The fact that I bid more than it sold by $500 and I didn't get it because of timing tells me it wasn't meant to be so I will keep looking. Thanks for the offer to take a look for me - great community of folks here and I have enjoyed reading a lot of the threads, even about repairs despite not having one to work on.

At least my wife now knows I am serious about getting one again. But she knew that when we were in Germany a few years back and got a tour of the factory and spent a day in the museum. A little history - when I was 15 I bought a 1972 911S that wasn't running and spent the year until I was 16 rebuilding the engine. My brother worked at a Foreign Auto Parts store and we got most of the parts at cost so it wasn't too expensive. I still remember the pistons and sleeves were $900 cost to purchase so that was quite a deal. Unfortunately I never had the money to really fix the car up right (needed "real" body work and suspension) so I sold it before going to college. Makes me sick to look at the prices a 911S goes for today.

So all the repair threads and engine drops are familiar too me. I got so good at manually adjusting the valves and putting the lower valve covers back on that I could gauge the required 13 ft.lbs. of torque recommended for the covers by hand. Of course they still leaked onto the heat exchangers and smoked some but that was just part of an early Porsche.

Buying a higher mileage 993 and having to work on it some sounds like a good hobby for me during our long cold winters in the mountains in Colorado. Of course a model with lower miles that I might not have to work on as much wouldn't be bad either.

Quick Reply: Arena, Low mile c4s in Michigan