Leyland West Insurance Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leyland West Insurance Experience

Just quoted with several insurance companies for my 993 -- Leyland is well out front. Anyone have experience with them good or bad?? Thanks
Old 09-03-2002, 08:48 PM
buzz993
Rennlist Member

I have, and decided not to use them after several weeks and letters they kept asking for more and more information. After really looking I did much better and have NO restrictions as far as mileage. I would stay away.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:06 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Buzz -- they at least insured for the value of the car -- many companies would not. Who did you finally end up with? Thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 02:17 AM
clubted
Track Day

Although not a 993 owner (yet), Leyland West insures both my 65 coupe and my 89 Carrera. Never had a claim (knock on wood) but they've been fine, insure them for what they're worth and actually went out of their way to correct a lapsed policy neither of us were aware of. FYI.

Clubted
Old 09-05-2002, 04:38 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had Leland West with my '86 911. When it got totalled, I replaced the car with a '85 911. After I commented on my experience with their service on the old PorscheFans, the owner of LW personally called me up and told me to go elsewhere for coverage! He was most unpleasant, which just confirmed my decision to do so.

I switched to Hagarty at next renewal for a lower premium. Unfortunately, Hagarty won't cover the 993 (too new), so I wound up at GMAC insurance along with my other cars. Their quote was 1/3 less than the LW quote which I got for reference. It is not agreed value, however.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:26 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Jeff,

I looked into Leland as well and the price was very high and didn't allow me to do the things I wanted to do. Extremely restrictive on mileage (that was OK for me), can't drive it to work (like taking customers to lunch -> not OK), only for pleasure ... kind of like walking a mine field or filing for taxes ... they are about equivalent.

If you are trying to insure a daily driver, it's not the company. If it's strictly a week-end car, then it's still probably not the company from a pricing point of view. If you've got a vintage Porsche and no other insurance company knows how to value your vehicle, then it's a candidate (i.e 356, 550 Spyder ...).

Old 09-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
buzz and *****

so who carries your insurance that's cheaper?

TIA

Mike
Old 09-09-2002, 08:36 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Mike,

I went with AIG since they cover my other 4 cars. The pricing they gave me took into account the multi-car discount so it's not a straigth apples-to-apples comparison with Leyland. Was around $700/6 months for full coverage and Leyland was about 50% more if I recall correctly. I don't drive the car much but when I do, I want to be able to use it for business and that was a deal-breaker for me since I'm in sales.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:23 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
You say LW was 50% more than $700/6 months?!

I have my '96 insured through LW as I can live with the stipulations and pay $733/year.

What I did not check was whether Allstate (whom I have the other 2 vehicles with) would insure with terms similar to LW, i.e., less than 5k miles, no work/commuting. Wonder if it'd cost less than LW, but more than likely would not have agreed value.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
***** (and Luis)

thanks for the replies.

I've got to go look up what I pay thru LW.

I've been with them for 13 years, currently with a '97 cab (2500 annual miles) and a '97 coupe (5000 annual). I recall writing checks for each for 550 and 500.

I can look it up tonight if you're interested.

Periodically I tried to find cheaper coverage, but couldn't. Of course I don't car aboutwork/airport/rest of family exclusions.

Since State Farm, which insures me for liability in general doesn't carry those two cars, I have to pay a little more for that coverage.

M
Old 09-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff,
I've had Leland West since I bought my '97 TT five years ago. Cost is $867 annually with $90,000 value and 5K annual mileage. (Admittedly, the value is too high, but that is what they put on the policy) There are restrictions, such as mileage limitation, car must be garaged, not driven to work, and drivers must be prenamed. They are careful, they make you send photos of car, front, rear, and both sides, photo of garage, copy of drivers license and driving record of named drivers. You must also send a copy of the insurance policy on your daily driver to prove you have another vehicle as your daily driver.
Their pricing doesn't cover the added risk of owners who park their car in the driveway or on the street, use it as their daily driver, driving to work, or allowing a lot of others to drive it also. But for those of us who don't do that, the savings are significant. In my case, almost half, compared to State Farm, who insure my other vehicles.
FWIW, LW is endorsed by PCA.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:21 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also can't even take your wife out to dinner in it. Leyland has so many damn restrictions, it's no wonder their rates are so low. Plus, their arrogant pr!cks.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
Bad, went through all the work to send them what they required only to be shot down by the secretary, when i asked to talk to that owner, he was very nasty and didnt understand s**t where I was coming from, I think his adds are very misleading. They roll the dice w/ the 356's hoping none of them will wreck in the 200 miles a yr. thier allowed, they suck.

Quick Reply: Leyland West Insurance Experience