Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found the 993 I have been hunting for! Pics and question about immobilizer/key fob...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 AM
Artsee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the 993 I have been hunting for! Pics and question about immobilizer/key fob...

UPDATE: More detailed snaps on pg 3 https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post12025256.

So after a long search, I found the 993 with the options and color combo I'd been seeking--Ocean Blue Metallic over gray and most importantly 6spd and LSD. Heated seats, low miles, great (documented) history, and RWD were also key on my list and this beauty checked all of the above. I am a lifelong BMW owner (with some Japanese cars sprinkled in there), however I've had a soft spot for air-cooled 911's for a very long time. The 993 is my absolute favorite and I am beyond stoked!

The following phone snaps are from the day of purchase and my drive down (picked her up in the Portland area and drover her home to San Francisco). Soon I'll be taking some proper snaps and sharing them with the group here

I love my new ride, but I am less than pleased with the funky immobilizer issue I am having. I don't know if the car was programmed this way by the PO (I bought the car from a Porsche dealership and the salesman, just knew that this is what needed to be done to start the car).

The car will not start unless you lock and unlock doors with the key fob with the doors closed. Occasionally, I have to cycle through this twice before it starts. I would really like to just JUMP IN, START THE CAR, AND GO! lol. Any ideas what is going on and/or how to fix this issue?

Very excited to be part of and learn from this community.

Cheers, Art

EDIT:The immobilizer works as it should. I just didn't know the "standard" starting procedure till now. When ignition is switched on, the light in the clock comes on and then goes off in 3-4seconds. Stoked to learn I don't have a problematic one. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Artsee; 02-09-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:10 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

congrats and welcome!

great looking car.

my immobilizer usually kicks in one out of every 4-5 starts. when it does, i turn the key in the off position, press the button on the remote, and presto engine fires up with no other issue(s). i've never had to go through the process of locking and unlocking the doors to resolve the issue.

perhaps others can chime in here as i don't seem to have much more than what i mentioned above.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 AM
kannon
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always have to lock and unlock my doors...

More importantly though beautiful car and beautiful pictures!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 AM
Aaron 993C2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The immobilizer kicks in if the door has been unlocked >3 minutes, in which case you will need to push the button. Also, if you have tried to start the car with the immobilizer on, you will need to make sure the key is turned all the way back to the left (the position it was in when you inserted the key) before pushing the button to deactivate the immobilizer.

I was showing the car to my father in law when the immobilizer first reared it's ugly head, pretty embarrassing not being able to start your own car in front of the wife's dad . . .
Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 AM
Artsee
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experience.

The odd thing is, I don't wait more than 10 seconds to start the car after unlocking it. I unlock it, get in and try to start it. Nothing happens, so I put the key back in the off position, release clutch, lock, unlock and then it fires up.

You guys mentioned you "press the button." Are you referring to the lock/unlock button on the key fob? Do you press it all the way down, as if locking the car? Sorry, not sure if there is another immobilizer related button I am missing here. Cheers.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

When you get in and turn the key to the on position, is the immobilized light illuminated in the clock?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:13 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Artsee
Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experience. The odd thing is, I don't wait more than 10 seconds to start the car after unlocking it. I unlock it, get in and try to start it. Nothing happens, so I put the key back in the off position, release clutch, lock, unlock and then it fires up. You guys mentioned you "press the button." Are you referring to the lock/unlock button on the key fob? Do you press it all the way down, as if locking the car? Sorry, not sure if there is another immobilizer related button I am missing here. Cheers.
Great color combination and congratulations on buying a fantastic model of the marque.

There's only one button and, thankfully, only mode; you've either pushed it or you haven't. It sounds as though it's not white functioning correctly, unless I'm missing something. Once you unlock the car, the Immobilizer should be disarmed and give you a couple of minutes to get in and start the car. You might, if you haven't already, search this thread for Immobilizer operation or Immobilizer issues. It's a common topic. If it really bugs you it's possible to disable it. Mine works properly and I've driven over a 100k miles in previous 993's, so it either doesn't bother me or I'm just accustomed to it.

If one of the previous owners hasn't converted the keys from the switch blade style to key head with separate remote key fob, that's an easy DIY and results in a nicer key (which has nothing to do with the Immobilizer function, but while I'm here...)

Enjoy the drive!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Artsee,
You may try pressing your button once, and in another second, hit it again; then try starting. Or...
Go to Rennsport Systems in Portland and talk to Steve Weiner about an immobilized bypass. Steve is very active in this forum.
Congrats on your new acquisition!

Last edited by nine9six; 02-03-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice find, good intro, enjoy, welcome to the forum!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Artsee
Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experience.

The odd thing is, I don't wait more than 10 seconds to start the car after unlocking it. I unlock it, get in and try to start it. Nothing happens, so I put the key back in the off position, release clutch, lock, unlock and then it fires up.

You guys mentioned you "press the button." Are you referring to the lock/unlock button on the key fob? Do you press it all the way down, as if locking the car? Sorry, not sure if there is another immobilizer related button I am missing here. Cheers.
Try this (if the immobilizer is activated); put key in ignition; with one hand push the lock/unlock button on the key fob and with the other hand turn the key. Should start right up without having to go through the sequence of locking and unlocking the doors. Works for me everytime in my 993's.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

Try replacing the battery on he immobilizer, probably needs it....it will still work as stated, but you may not have to hit it numerous times. (Just lock and unlock once)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

- Second the recommendation to inserting a fresh immob. battery: while at that, store a spare in the glove box along with a mini Phillips 'jewellers type' screwdriver.
- Do you have a second key/remote? - if so, does it preform identically?

I have one remote that is hyper sensitive to how the button is pressed - the angle must be just 'right', and taking the mini PC board & button out to clean the contact surfaces had little impact: 1 0f 10 times, it's a given that one must fuss with the button.

My reliable indicator of the immobilizer disarming, whether or not the doors had previously been locked, is to note that the red diode in the door flashes following pressing the remote button - works every time ( as does the clock icon - personal preference to monitor the door indicator).

Also, check the function of the interior lights WRT opening/closing the doors - both sides: the rubber bellows on the A pillar conceals a mickey mouse 'make/break' ground switch that switches the interior light relay ..... and IIRC, indicates to the immobilizer whether the door is open/closed vs locked ( I'm not certain of the latter, but it's an easy check).

If there is any hesitation or non function of this switch, it is an easy deal to open it up for a sniff of contact cleaner.

BTW - great looking car, especially in Ocean Blue ( second only to midnight blue )
Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

I get in, put key in lock, turn to position 2 [all warning lights come on], when brake pump stops I press button on remote once [door red light flashes once], push clutch in, turn key to position 3 - engine starts all warning lights go out and, if you have hagerty insurance, you drive to get an ice cream; don't go anywhere else.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

BTW -- great looking car and you were real lucky to find one that ticked all your boxes; treasure it, they are hard to find.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Richard 911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations! Beautiful color, options etc. Awesome pics and look forward to seeing more.

With regard to immobilizer, I actually just have grown to like it and it's one of the quirky set-ups on 993s (and other select few cars) that make it a unique characteristic

Quick Reply: Found the 993 I have been hunting for! Pics and question about immobilizer/key fob...