Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New windshield at Safelite for just $490??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New windshield at Safelite for just $490??

Doesn't this seem very much on the low side? Doesn't sound right. A dealer told me $1,100 (w/tax) so I'm a little surprised. Safelite says a 1996 993 cab windshield, described as "Paint band with antenna," is $490 including labor and lifetime warranty (domestic source). Includes $70 extra for some kinda special urethane adhesive that takes 2-hrs to cure.

Dealer tells me you can reuse the two "frames" (i.e. rubber seals) and that there's no other parts or seals needed. That was surprise number 2.

Past posts seem to indicate that I should remove the dash top myself, which I'll do if I can figure out how to remove my carbon fiber trim so I can pull the clock out so I can remove that last hidden bolt underneath. What a process.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Safelite did my coupe; replaced the windshield with factory OE glass. I can't remember price (I'm at work earning gas, insurance and parts money) but I doubt if it was $1100; might have been close to $650 or so. And I also drove the car in without the dash top in place (and yes, what a PITA, but the tech was DELIGHTED to see the car like that).
Old 08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Not long ago I saw a post where they paid $395- from Safelite.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:22 PM
adambos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my front windshield is cloudy along the bottom and around the corners. Is this common with the 993, and is there any factory warranties that would cover a replacement? FYI, I'm not the first owner.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:26 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

adambos

Yes. The windshields delaminated in these areas. May be covered in warranty as this was a safety issue and a service bulletin - go see your dealer.

Not uncommon. My car had the ws replaced for this reason at 12k by the original owner. I have the service records.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:04 PM
adambos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike. I just called the local dealership (service department) and they are not aware of this service bulletin, and mentioned there are a couple of other issues.

-I'm not the first owner
-I didn't buy the car from them
-And I might have an after market windshield which would not be covered. They said the only way they could tell that it is aftermarket would be to remove it first.

Any thoughts?
Thanks again,
Adam
-
Old 08-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHEESH, dealers are really A$$holes!!

You should remind THEM that:

a) they are still required to service all recalls, whether or not you are the first owner, or the 1000th owner

b) It doesn't matter where you bought the car. If it's a tsb and requires action, they have to do it.

c) that seems like they're tyring to bs you into an expensive evaluation.

And finally, how can they expect you to ever buy a porsche from them again if this is how they are going to treat you?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that Safelite makes their own glass, which is why their prices are lower. Friends who have used them are happy. Personally, I would prefer USA-made glass over OEM, as the German glass is softer to meet their TUV requirements and therefore pits more easily.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric
A search would have found this post from 04-29-2003:

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
As you may remember from my post a few weeks ago, I needed to replace my already pitted windshield after catching a rock. Dealer replacement quotes were about $1000. On the strength of several Rennlisters' posts over the past few years I called Safelight (a nat'l operation). Their quote was just short of $400 installed. Had it not been for the positive posts here, I'd have moved on thinking, "that's too cheap to be good."

Last weekend I had my windshield replaced by Safelight. Result: an excellent install by a friendly, knowledgeable, "car nut" tech who took about an hour & had no trouble w/the antenna connection. The glass is a perfect match for my oem down to the black patch above the mirror. I can't believe the vision difference w/new glass.

I figure Rennlist saved me about $600 - enough to cover membership from the nursing home.
From this Safelite Thread

PS I did not remove anything from the car. If the tech knows what he's doing, leave the dash alone. BTW, 4 months and a couple of DEs later & all's well - except for a few stone chips
Old 08-28-2003, 06:29 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Dan, great info. Apparently just searching titles like I did is not always the most fruitful search strategy.

Quick Reply: New windshield at Safelite for just $490??