Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015 | 09:52 PM
993/907
Pro

Originally Posted by 996scott
Yes, please do......I jumped mine last week with the regular pos to pos and neg to neg without problem.
Me too, several times no prob.

Gordo
Old 01-23-2015 | 10:10 PM
shiraz
Racer

Owner's Man. p 106 - first, connect + lead to + terminal of flat batt & then to + of feed batt.
2nd, connect - lead to - terminal of feed batt, then other end to a suitable earthing point on car with flat batt as far away as possible from batt.

Disconnect in reverse order.
Cheers
Old 01-23-2015 | 10:32 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Shiraz beat me to it. Glad that no one has experienced problems or explosions. Batteries can explode if a spark is generated nearby. I know it's simplistic for me to say this but please read your owner's manual for a detailed description. Pos. to Pos., Neg. of charging battery to a good ground on the dead vehicle as far away from the battery as possible. Start the charging car. Let it run for a few minutes. Then start the dead vehicle and let both cars run for a few minutes. To avoid a voltage spike, before disconnecting the cables, turn on a load like the headlights or the blower motor. Then remove cables in the exact reverse order.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 01-24-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:54 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Shiraz beat me to it. Glad that no one has experienced problems or explosions. Batteries can explode if a spark is generated nearby. I know it's simplistic for me to say this but please read your owner's manual for a detailed description. Pos. to Pos., Neg. of charging battery to a good ground on the dead vehicle as far away from the battery as possible. Start the charging car. Let it run for a few minutes. Then start the dead vehicle and let both cars run for a few minutes. Remove cables in the exact reverse order but it's really safer to shut off both vehicles and then remove the cables.
I agree in principle but in the frunk of a 993 where the battery is it might be a bit of a challenge finding a good high-current (non-painted) ground other than the neg. battery terminal. And if you shut off the car with the dead battery to remove the cables it's very likely you'll be connecting them back up to re-start the car, I'd rather only jump it once. Make sure the battery is properly ventilated to minimize the possibility of explosion.
Old 01-24-2015 | 10:03 AM
jlenze
Rennlist Member

I use the spare hold down bolt with no problem, I blew out my OBC when I first got the car and jumped it + to + and - to - on the battery directly when I first got the car and batt was dead. That is also where I trickle charge it in the winter months.

Good Luck
Jack
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

If you use a Battery Tender they make a "pigtail" just for that purpose, attach it directly to the battery post clamps and it gives you about 18" cable to plug the tender into so you don't even have to move the carpets to plug in the tender. Mine has a cap that fits on the end of the cable when not in use. I haven't used any other tender in a long while but I would be surprised if other brands don't offer the same thing. These are VERY helpful with motorcycles, esp. when they put the battery in difficult locations.

The Battery Tender pigtail is not intended for jumpstarting the car, it's not designed for that high a current.
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:50 PM
Porsh-nut
Advanced

Slightly off-topic but related - I was told when my cars were new to always remove the key from the ignition because even in the "off" position it would leave certain "electronics" powered (in particular the airbag sensors) after shutting down ... the load was enough that it would drain the battery in less than a week.

Not that anyone would ever leave their keys in the car during long term storage, just thought I'd see if anyone has ever heard of / encountered this.
Old 01-24-2015 | 01:54 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

just tried to start the car with jumper cable and it didn't start. I will call AAA (CAA in Qc) so they can confirm it's not a battery issue....
Old 01-24-2015 | 02:35 PM
jlenze
Rennlist Member

Several clicks would generally be a battery, If it is one thud of a click then that would usually be a bad starter. If it is a thud a tap on the starter with a hammer may jar it loose to start, however that does not fix it.

Jack
Old 01-24-2015 | 02:56 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

The only thing I hear is when I try to start the car, one second after I hear a single clic that SEEMS to come from the center console.
Old 01-24-2015 | 03:29 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

What would be the symptoms of a bad starter?
Old 01-24-2015 | 04:29 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techman1
Double check your main ground near the battery...
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
...and clean those battery posts and inside the terminals. Corrosion can inhibit current flow.
You did these before connecting the jumper cables...Correct?
Old 01-24-2015 | 04:42 PM
jlenze
Rennlist Member

Get under the car on the passenger side and have someone try to turn the key. If you here a clunk from the starter motor then the gear is hung up. Google where is the starter motor to locate the exact location so you can be as close as possible while listening.
Old 01-24-2015 | 05:11 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TMc993
You did these before connecting the jumper cables...Correct?
I even went to the shop where I bought the battery to have it inspected and it's fine.

By checking the main ground, do you mean the positive cable that goes on the battery? If so, yes it's fine and was even replaced 6 months ago as a preventive maintenance.

Tonight, I will go back to see the car and check starter relay (R61).

If it's not the issue, how can I test the starter? And could it be the ignition switch?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2015 | 05:18 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jg291446
I even went to the shop where I bought the battery to have it inspected and it's fine.
You took your the battery out of your non starting car up to the shop where you bought it and they said it was fine?

When TMC suggests checking your ground, that is the negative cable that attaches to the car body. I posted some pics of it is this thread. Scroll down. Your problem very well may be something else, but these are very easy first steps to try that should be eliminated as the cause.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-removal.html

Quick Reply: Car won't start