Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
lauris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as per my personal email, 993 RS is potentially a good investment, but for road use i think it would be kinda hard on the scottish roads, better investment might be the 996RS at JZM as i think they will head to £200k, have had a few OPC guys tip them as doubling again in the next 5 years.

a standard 993 C2 with good suspension will be better for occasional sunny days on country roads, i am loving mine, on the bilstiens its firm and sharp enough to really chuck about without worrying too much about grounding out on every undulation of crashing through pot holes.

in saying that if I had a spare £200k - a low mileage 993 RS would definately be parked in the garage, i saw one sell at the NEC LHD circa £150k plus buyers premium, lovely lovely car,

cheers
scott.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott, you need to drive both a 993RS and 996 GT3RS over a bumpy B road, you might be surprised!

The OPC guys are experts in depreciation, I wouldn't take note of anything they
said with respect to future values. Most are only interested in selling a product rather than being Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:20 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt3rscr250m
Interesting to come across this thread ; I've got a new GT3 RS on order , but don't know if I'll get an allocation and have started to think of alternatives . While it would likely be a fair jump up in money spent over the GT3 I've always kicked the 993 RS around - the 964 RS as well . I know the 993 qualifies for '' Show and Display '' , haven't checked the list recently on the 964 RS . Seems like the 964's command higher prices which is something to consider as well . Don't think I'd go as far as the N/GT version on the 964 , but I'd want bare bones on either . Seems like a lot of the 993's got power windows and air .
Hhmm.... Having followed and owned these cars for some time.

I genuinely feel that like for like a 993RS prices are higher than 964RS.

The main reason for this is that there are twice as many 964RS built as 993RS.

Simple supply and demand* and clearly 993RS are not twice as valuable as the 964 counterpart!

Now there were 290 x 964 RS M003 NGT built, so they are likely to be rarer than a regular 993RS M002.

Also a very low miles concours 964RS is likely to be worth more than a 100k miles tired 993RS, but in general the laws of S & D* are proven to exist!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

As long as the car checks out you can't go wrong with any of these! Even though the production nr is quite high for 993rs compared to 996rs they are still hard to find.
A good friend of mine bought the super low mile Italian 964rs in Monaco last year. I think the hammer went at 250k Euro.
Good luck with your hunt!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM
lauris
Track Day

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Scott, you need to drive both a 993RS and 996 GT3RS over a bumpy B road, you might be surprised!

The OPC guys are experts in depreciation, I wouldn't take note of anything they
said with respect to future values. Most are only interested in selling a product rather than being Porsche enthusiasts.

I have driven the 964RS on different roads, (own three 964s with different suspension set ups and none as hard on the road as the 964RS) also own 996RS which i have had for nearly 5 years and its hard on bumpy B roads, but great on smooth roads. amazing on track,

my 993 C2 is lowered on Bilstein Suspension and is firm but not bad at all on bumpy roads, very like the lowered 964 on same supsension.

have never driven a 993RS but expect it would be simliar to the 964RS's but perhaps 20% more comfortable,

i would add a 993RS if i could afford it, but it would be more for polishing than driving,

OPCs if you speak to the right guys are very informative about values and future values, if your just dealing with job bloggs salesman or techs probably not, but the right guys tend to know whats selling , whats sought after, what porsches plans are with future production etc, edinburgh predicted the climb of the 997RS and even advised one of my pals not to sell his, they ended up buying it from him at what he paid, and sold it for a tidy profit a few months down the line,

I tried to buy at 964RS LHD Maritime with 70k miles on it last year, really nice condition but not perfect and didnt have great history at £95k, someone bought it unseen for same price. ( I had known the car for sometime but was trying to raise some funds), still regret not getting it, It was hard on the road, but was going to be mainly for polishing and for investment.

The best option is a 993RS for investent and very occasional use and a C2 manual lowered and perhaps modded for the look to actually thrash about it, unless money is no object,

regards
Scott.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by tp81
I have lusted after the 993 RS for sometime, crazy because I have never even driven one. The driving experience might not live up to my expectation.

The road test stories, the exclusivity and the link to the RS brand / division of Porsche have elevated this (at least in my mind ) to be the ultimate 993. Values have also pushed on while I have dreamt of owing one of these.

In the meantime I have a beautiful C2S which I love and have spent considerable time and effort to get fully sorted. The appreciation over the last 5 years of ownership have helped offset the spend which is a great position to be in but not why I have the 993. Last year I managed to source a very well sorted and immaculate 993 Turbo, without going into a huge amount of detail I again really love the shape and style of the Turbo but I actually prefer the raw and more mechanical drive offered by the C2S. I am now considering making a potential move to sell both with the aim of getting into a RS.

Can anyone speak from experience in terms of how these cars compare to the std 993 and would others consider doing the same?
As an investment sure, as a daily driver nope.

If you want to dd an RS build one, there a bunch of them here on the forum.

here's the recipe;

heat w/ the suspension, shocks, mounts, springs, bushes and wheel carriers in front, arms in back, wheels and tires, sways to finish this part of the job

add a dash of G50/3x(choose the x to suit you tastes) for that little extra spicy zing

less than a few % of the cost of a real RS and you get 95% of the zest.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Owned both 993RS and 964 RS at the same time. Drove back to back many times.

First off if you can pull off any RS do it. Very special. They have a feel of there own and they have some really trick parts that only the experts can explain to you.

When I had the opportunity to drive I usually reached for the 964 RS. It is a very special driving experience. More throttle response feels lighter, feels faster.

993 RS a little more refined, taller gears electric windows airbags etc....it drives better than a C2 but not as much so as the 964 RS vs C2...

After much debate I chose to add a 997.2 RS.... And a Modded 964 RS clone.

That combo for me checks the best of the driving experiences of what Porsche has to offer over the last 30 years.

Good luck and post some pics of the new RS.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

I have come close to building a faux 993 RS Club Sport, lacking the rear control arms and the 3.8 engine. I am not touching the engine until it needs a re-build, and even then would rebuild to 993 stock...I have to pass California emissions and don't know if a motor built to RS specs would pass. I kept my air conditioning, cruise control, power windows and sunroof. The car weighs about 2,885, with no driver and a splash of gas. I race it with the Porsche Owners Club in SoCal in a weight to HP Class GT5. My car is street legal "sort of", well it is for a day when I get it emission tested, pass the test, then off comes the stock cat and back on go the X pipe and cat delete pipes. It seldom sees the road, but I want the option...plus if I took any more weight out of the car, I'd be kicked into GT4 class, with a significant lower weight to HP ratio. When you look at the list below, you'll see it costs a bloody fortune to make a 993 clone....lots of the mods are lightly incremental, as the performance curve flattens out....right after a decent suspension such as PSS 10s suspension and "R" rated tires.

Once you go over the quest to clone an RS, the list never ends....and you never quite get there...but almost.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
As an investment sure, as a daily driver nope.

If you want to dd an RS build one, there a bunch of them here on the forum.

here's the recipe;

heat w/ the suspension, shocks, mounts, springs, bushes and wheel carriers in front, arms in back, wheels and tires, sways to finish this part of the job

add a dash of G50/3x(choose the x to suit you tastes) for that little extra spicy zing

less than a few % of the cost of a real RS and you get 95% of the zest.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

It's great that people on here enjoy and get so much pleasure from their 993's.

Whenever an RS thread comes up, enthusiastic owners talk about their "clones" which for the most part are nowhere near an RS.

Again it's great that everyone shares their enthusiasm for their cars, but the whole RS ethos, even after all of these years seems to be lost on most of the Rennlist congregation!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Very difficult to clone ...

..a 993 RS...have read the PORSCHE Technik Bulletin WKD 499 620....so many special parts for the 993 RS and RS Club Sport, many of which are NLA.

Quite a few of us poor saps who try to re-create the 993 RS and RS CS, just do our best, we can't duplicate the RS, but it sure is fun trying.

Here is my attempt, may be pathetic to the RS snobs, but good enough for me. Street legal too.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
It's great that people on here enjoy and get so much pleasure from their 993's.

Whenever an RS thread comes up, enthusiastic owners talk about their "clones" which for the most part are nowhere near an RS.

Again it's great that everyone shares their enthusiasm for their cars, but the whole RS ethos, even after all of these years seems to be lost on most of the Rennlist congregation!
Yes, one cannot enter the words sound system, great ride quality, sunroof, low noise level, power seats, power windows, ease of driving without running the bottom into the road, etc. into the conversation about an RS.

They are all about light weight and a raw, pure driving experience.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
They are all about light weight and a raw, pure driving experience.
Which is zero 964 or 993 chassis ever produced, compared to any generation of earlier 911 on a similar wt/hp. I vividly remember the first 964 Cup I drove in '93 or '94, right after Buttonwillow opened--a drive so easy a well trained house pet could set a lap record.

Bottom line for me is that if I want a Thunderhill 3.0 2:00/Laguna 1:40/Sears 1:48 car I'd do it six days a week, and twice on Sunday with a built, non-serial numbered car. Even on near equal dollars. Street? Give me a ______ break. Can't even drive my V-6 F150 to its limits in/around the Bay Area............
Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Which is zero 964 or 993 chassis ever produced, compared to any generation of earlier 911 on a similar wt/hp. I vividly remember the first 964 Cup I drove in '93 or '94, right after Buttonwillow opened--a drive so easy a well trained house pet could set a lap record.

Bottom line for me is that if I want a Thunderhill 3.0 2:00/Laguna 1:40/Sears 1:48 car I'd do it six days a week, and twice on Sunday with a built, non-serial numbered car. Even on near equal dollars. Street? Give me a ______ break. Can't even drive my V-6 F150 to its limits in/around the Bay Area............
Very true. Not a lot of talk about performance today. These cars are turning into investments. I'm guilty as well. Much rather take out my 6gt3 and push it than to risk anything with 6rs or 4.0. Anyone see a bit of Ferrari history here?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Although I don't see the problem with a genre of 911 that is easier and faster to drive on the track than another genre 911, I am talking street driving experience here, not driving the car at race speeds on the street.

I am comparing driving experience in relative terms 911 RS to 911 standard model and to me the "rawness" analogy holds for long hood and short hood RS cars IMHO and, save the RS 3.0, I have been lucky to have driven them all RS 2.7 to RS 4.0.

Frankly, of all those RS cars, the 964 RS Basic is the most butch. Noisy, no amenities, stiff as a board ride, heavy steering, tall first gear for hill starts with light flywheel, tight seats for me. But a great sports car.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
lauris
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Although I don't see the problem with a genre of 911 that is easier and faster to drive on the track than another genre 911, I am talking street driving experience here, not driving the car at race speeds on the street.

I am comparing driving experience in relative terms 911 RS to 911 standard model and to me the "rawness" analogy holds for long hood and short hood RS cars IMHO and, save the RS 3.0, I have been lucky to have driven them all RS 2.7 to RS 4.0.

Frankly, of all those RS cars, the 964 RS Basic is the most butch. Noisy, no amenities, stiff as a board ride, heavy steering, tall first gear for hill starts with light flywheel, tight seats for me. But a great sports car.
I get more pleasure out of the 964 or 993 on a country run than the 996RS just simply as they are a bit more compliant on the road and you dont have to be going 130mph plus to feel you are going quick, the RS is very decieving with speed, its easy to end up way into triple figures without realising, where as the older cars are more involving at lower speeds. (on track - different worlds RS feels at home and certainly has more capability than me,

Back to originnal topic - Tom - I think you know the answer ! its an itch you just have to scratch and one you will probably make significant money at. go on - you know you want to !

cheers
Scott

Quick Reply: 993 RS - Would you sell them all to own one