Sponsored by:

Navagitation Systems - guidance please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 12:29 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Navagitation Systems - guidance please

I know that this may be heresy - but as I need to upgrade the stereo system in the 993, I was considerating a head unit that has a Navagitation system.
Anyone have any experience?
Do i get the fold-up screen, or a unit similar to the Blaupunkt with a 5 line display on the head unit so that it is not overly obtrusive?
I do not want to spend a fortune on this.
thanks,
Old 12-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

I have a 996 so it's a littler different in terms of layout but I bought the Blaupunkt 149 (I think that's the model) and a 5CD in dash changer (replaced my 5 CD holder shelf with that) and I couldn't be happier. I did not want the big screen unless it was the OEM system and I find the Blaupunkt to work just fine. I even did the install myself and also connected the phone mute to the radio and all in all I find it great and highly recommend it. For a 993, I think that you would be better off getting a CD changer for the front trunk. Good luck
JM
Old 12-26-2001, 02:17 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rob:

I am one of those perpetually lost people and, as such, I really need a GPS equipped radio replacement. I am pretty sure that the flip up screen type will not work in a 993 because of the location of the radio. It is down low and the fog light, lighter and (can't remember) switch seem to be in the way. I have seen Jean-Marc's install and was going to ask him about it when he gets home from Christmas. I am much more inclined to do what he did than pursue the flip up screen type. I have had the flip up screen type in the past and was pleased with its operation. Please let us know what you choose to do.

Hank
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Hank is correct, the flip-out screen wouldn't work on 993 due to the location of the radio and the dashboard being stick out at the top. I was looking into this earlier this year when I had a chance to get a nice set of Alpine system.

Another option is to use a goose neck style which I'm not in favor of this since it's being expose in the open area.

Peace!
Ron

PS: Still stock hi-fi sound system.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Snoops
Advanced

Hiya

I have a Becker Navigation System.(Fitted and supplied by Porsche). I can recommend one without hesitation. So far it has been extremely accurate. It even draws a roundabout and show you what exit to tak. Two voices a male or a sexy female and when the passanger is bored of the Porka (as if) a few games are included. I'll mail you the model number 2morrow as i'm at work at the mo.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:13 AM
R SQUADRON 911
Advanced

What I did in my 993 is I installed a aftermarket head unit as well as a seprate Clarion 6.5" screen. I hooked up a Pentium III 600MHZ PC and bought a GPS program for it. SO not only does it act as a GPS system that speaks to you as well as has voice command it also acts as a DVD player, MP3 player and as a gaming system. Yes I know it's a little much but it's much more cost effective when you look at at all the extras.

here's a screen shot.

hope this opens some options for you.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:18 AM
Snoops
Advanced

R Squadron

I love your work!
Old 12-27-2001, 02:58 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

R SQUADRON,

Nice setup. Are you using a goose-neck style? I'm just worried that I wouldn't pass the technical inspection at the track if I have a similar setup.

Do you have any other pics of your car?

Snoop, do you pics. of your setup as well?

Many thanks.
Ron
Old 12-28-2001, 03:35 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

One I have works great - very detailed, covers a multiple number of states. When I'm done, I fold it up and put it in the driver's door storage compartment. Even works with the ignition switched off! Problem is it's hard to use while moving with the windows down.

I think it's called something like "maps"

(note - I haven't seen a navigational system yet - OE or aftermarket - that has gotten a good endorsement by the car magazines who have tried them. Only after I see a glowing report, then I'll likely get one. Tech has a way to go to make them user-friendly and not a PITA; right now I put them in the same category as hand-held phones for a driver.)
Old 12-28-2001, 08:22 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Wink

Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<STRONG>One I have works great - very detailed, covers a multiple number of states. When I'm done, I fold it up and put it in the driver's door storage compartment. Even works with the ignition switched off! Problem is it's hard to use while moving with the windows down.

I think it's called something like "maps"

(note - I haven't seen a navigational system yet - OE or aftermarket - that has gotten a good endorsement by the car magazines who have tried them. Only after I see a glowing report, then I'll likely get one. Tech has a way to go to make them user-friendly and not a PITA; right now I put them in the same category as hand-held phones for a driver.)</STRONG>
Ray, you should really try one. I love my Blaupunkt and couldn't do without it anymore...
JM
Old 12-28-2001, 12:40 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to jump in this thread so late… I just remembered… My ’95 993 came with the factory center console cell phone unit. It was an old, analog phone, which I didn’t have much use for. I thought I was going to have to pay money to have it removed and a standard console mounted in its place. I placed ads, and actually found someone who wanted it to mount a GPS in. He actually does this for people. He paid me for my console, gave me a standard console, and did the labor. He then installed it, with a GPS, in someone else’s car. I mention this as it’s an option for anyone who wants a GPS in their 993. It might take a bit of a search to find the cell phone console in the right color, but it might be worth it. Here’s what the console looks like with the phone in it.

Cell Phone Console

Edit: I don't know why the URL doesn't work. Cut and paste the URL into your browser to see the console.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:56 PM
R SQUADRON 911
Advanced

RT7,

I have the TV custom fitted and securely mounted into the ashtray. I don't smoke so I found a good use for it haha.

You can go to http://www.gnetcanada.com/index2.htm
to see the system. It's my friends company ask for Shaun and he should help you with all your needs.

here's one pic of my car at IMPORT FEST 2001 car show at Skydome.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:41 PM
mags993tt-home
Intermediate

Hi guys,

I too have been thinking about getting a SatNav for my 993 and although I would prefer a fold out map style display think a)It wouldn't fit and b)on British roads it would shake itself to bits. So Jean-Marc's solution sounds like the way to go (for me at least) with the Blaupunkt 149/150 and as a bonus I don't believe it needs a seperate under seat module for the Nav cd however 1 question - where do you fit the GPS antenna??
Old 12-30-2001, 06:24 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Pretty simple really. Trial and error on the road and I came to the conclusion that the best position was glued at the bottom of the front windshield, right behind the dash. I did it and it is barely noticeable. I really mean barely. I am currently in Belgium for the holidays but if you want I can post pictures as soon as I get back in Atlanta
JM
Old 12-31-2001, 05:21 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<STRONG>Pretty simple really. Trial and error on the road and I came to the conclusion that the best position was glued at the bottom of the front windshield, right behind the dash. I did it and it is barely noticeable. I really mean barely. I am currently in Belgium for the holidays but if you want I can post pictures as soon as I get back in Atlanta
JM </STRONG>
That would be great if you could. Thanks. I was having nightmares about the boxes labelled 'GPS' adorning so many Merc and BMW boot lids these days. M

Quick Reply: Navagitation Systems - guidance please